Installing CyanogenMod on the Samsung Galaxy S II
Darien Graham-Smith reveals how to install the customisable firmware on your Android phone
By Darien Graham-Smith, 26 Apr 2012 at 09:11
The free, customisable CyanogenMod firmware can bring new life to an Android handset, whether it's new or old.
Here, Darien Graham-Smith walks through the steps to installing the custom ROM on a Samsung Galaxy S II - click here for more details about installing CyanogenMod on your phone.
Read this first: Installing this software can void your warranty and expose you to malware - and if something goes wrong, it could leave your device unusable. If possible, test the procedures on an old, unwanted device first.
Samsung slow at releasing updates
Hi this is slightly off topic but still relevant. I was inspired by this article to see if there were any custom roms for my galaxy fit. There are but I found the DroidAngel blog giving links to official updates to 2.3.6 for my phone which Samsung have released everywhere else in Europe but not the UK. This is crazy as it is the same file, they are just dragging their feet.
DroidAngel contained links to the firmware and the utilities needed to flash non-rooted phones plus very clear instructions. So if you want to stick with official ROMs but can't wait for Samsung to release it over here for your phone, check DroidAngel to see if it is listed. Well worth a look.
By mr_chips on 2 Jun 2012
- How to upgrade from Windows XP to Ubuntu
- The great iPhone ripoff and how it works
- Heartbleed: what you need to know and do
- Data recovery: inside the clean room
- Best tablet PCs to buy in 2014
- How much RAM do you really need?
- News of the weird: the strangest ever tech stories
- Five hyped technologies: disruptive or not?
- Piracy's dying: why we're all going straight
- Office: should you buy it, rent it - or dump it?
- Hello Cortana, it's nice to meet you
- Windows 8.1 Update: an abject surrender
- The insane economics of Sky Now TV
- No such thing as a free app... so pay up if you want quality
- Time to outlaw crapware-laden installers
- Windows Phone 8.1 video: hands-on
- Office for iPad: key information
- Why every PC buyer owes Richard Durkin a debt of gratitude
- HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: 2014's big-hitters compared
- Windows XP end of life: key information