Installing CyanogenMod on the Samsung Galaxy S II
Darien Graham-Smith reveals how to install the customisable firmware on your Android phone
By Darien Graham-Smith, 26 Apr 2012 at 09:11
The free, customisable CyanogenMod firmware can bring new life to an Android handset, whether it's new or old.
Here, Darien Graham-Smith walks through the steps to installing the custom ROM on a Samsung Galaxy S II - click here for more details about installing CyanogenMod on your phone.
Read this first: Installing this software can void your warranty and expose you to malware - and if something goes wrong, it could leave your device unusable. If possible, test the procedures on an old, unwanted device first.
Samsung slow at releasing updates
Hi this is slightly off topic but still relevant. I was inspired by this article to see if there were any custom roms for my galaxy fit. There are but I found the DroidAngel blog giving links to official updates to 2.3.6 for my phone which Samsung have released everywhere else in Europe but not the UK. This is crazy as it is the same file, they are just dragging their feet.
DroidAngel contained links to the firmware and the utilities needed to flash non-rooted phones plus very clear instructions. So if you want to stick with official ROMs but can't wait for Samsung to release it over here for your phone, check DroidAngel to see if it is listed. Well worth a look.
By mr_chips on 2 Jun 2012
- Make the most of your mobile data
- Old-school internet scams: five that just won't die
- Bitcoin believers not worried by Mt. Gox disarray
- How to hack your car
- Small server vs cloud: which is best for SMBs?
- Block party: why do millions play Minecraft?
- What to do if you’re still on Windows XP
- Microsoft Word: top 20 secret features
- Measuring me: is your body the future of security?
- The best mobile apps for business
- Quickest way to upload 1GB? Hop on a train
- Move over Delia: IBM Watson is cooking tonight
- Eric Schmidt on the double-edged smartphone: friend and foe
- Getty joins the race to the bottom
- Hour of Code: five steps to learn how to code
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet review: first look
- Sony Xperia Z2 review: first look
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 review: first look
- Nokia XL review: first look
- Samsung Galaxy S5 review: first look