Installing CyanogenMod on the Samsung Galaxy S II
Darien Graham-Smith reveals how to install the customisable firmware on your Android phone
By Darien Graham-Smith, 26 Apr 2012 at 09:11
The free, customisable CyanogenMod firmware can bring new life to an Android handset, whether it's new or old.
Here, Darien Graham-Smith walks through the steps to installing the custom ROM on a Samsung Galaxy S II - click here for more details about installing CyanogenMod on your phone.
Read this first: Installing this software can void your warranty and expose you to malware - and if something goes wrong, it could leave your device unusable. If possible, test the procedures on an old, unwanted device first.
Samsung slow at releasing updates
Hi this is slightly off topic but still relevant. I was inspired by this article to see if there were any custom roms for my galaxy fit. There are but I found the DroidAngel blog giving links to official updates to 2.3.6 for my phone which Samsung have released everywhere else in Europe but not the UK. This is crazy as it is the same file, they are just dragging their feet.
DroidAngel contained links to the firmware and the utilities needed to flash non-rooted phones plus very clear instructions. So if you want to stick with official ROMs but can't wait for Samsung to release it over here for your phone, check DroidAngel to see if it is listed. Well worth a look.
By mr_chips on 2 Jun 2012
- How to uninstall a program on Windows: remove unwanted apps from your PC
- How to format a USB drive on a Mac or Windows
- What’s the best 4G network in the UK?
- How to set up a wireless hotspot for your business: give customers free or paid for internet access
- How to download YouTube videos: save YouTube videos to your iPhone, iPad, laptop or Android device
- How to access iCloud on a PC
- Nexus 5 vs Moto G 4G (2014 model)
- Chromecast vs Roku Streaming Stick vs Apple TV: what's the best TV streaming device?
- The 8 best small tablets of 2014: what's the best compact tablet?
- How to edit PDFs: make change to a PDF
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- How to turn off Google Location Tracking
- 20 years of PC Pro: our greatest review mistakes
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?