BIOS guide: how to overclock your CPU
Darien Graham-Smith walks you through the process of overclocking AMD and Intel CPUs
By Darien Graham-Smith, 12 Jun 2011 at 16:21
You can access your BIOS settings by switching on your PC, then pressing the appropriate key when the power-on screen appears. This is commonly the “Delete” key, but some systems use one of the function keys instead. If you’re not sure what to press, keep an eye on the screen as the information is often briefly displayed here.
Very nearly all PCs offer a BIOS interface similar to what you’ll see below, but the precise layout and terms used vary between different motherboards. If you can’t follow our examples exactly, consult the manual that came with your motherboard.
The overclocking settings we show you here are normally only available on desktop motherboards – laptops do let you configure various BIOS settings but overclocking is not normally available. Depending on your CPU and board combination, not all the settings we show may be available, or they may have no effect.
If you change a setting you didn't mean to, you can always quit the BIOS and discard your changes, or revert to default settings. For more details, see the accompanying feature in issue 202 of PC Pro magazine.
How to overclock cpu
It is a little outdated though. For example there is the EFI bios from Asus. Really cool plus with a Sandy Bridge you can get 5Ghz out of it. Massive. Visit http://howtooverclockcpu.org to find out now!
By howtooverclock on 24 Jun 2011
dude thats great . can you help me .i have a little problem with my gaming on my lenovo ideapad z570 .gaming stops after every 15 minuits. i have windows7ultimate and intel hd graphics 3000 but no graphic card. please catch me on email@example.com
By 1kdrocks on 8 Apr 2012
- iPad Air 2 vs Nexus 9: Apple and Google's latest high-end tablets compared
- Five things that are actually new in the iPad Air 2
- Bendgate, Antennagate, and why Apple doesn’t care about bad news
- iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 release date, specs and UK price rumours
- Office Online vs Google Docs: which free online office suite is best?
- iPhone 6 Plus vs iPhone 6 design comparison
- How to speed up an Android smartphone
- Nexus 6 release date, specs, UK price and leaked images
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus screen comparison
- Mac OS X Yosemite release date, price and new features
- Google Glass: mugger bait, pub problem and other lessons learned from two dangerous weeks
- Twitter, please don't fiddle with my feed
- How Satya Nadella can get some pay-raise karma
- Windows 10: a step back to go forward
- Michael Dell: Cloud infrastructure is the roads, bridges and highways of the 21st century
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold