BIOS guide: how to overclock your CPU
Darien Graham-Smith walks you through the process of overclocking AMD and Intel CPUs
By Darien Graham-Smith, 12 Jun 2011 at 16:21
You can access your BIOS settings by switching on your PC, then pressing the appropriate key when the power-on screen appears. This is commonly the “Delete” key, but some systems use one of the function keys instead. If you’re not sure what to press, keep an eye on the screen as the information is often briefly displayed here.
Very nearly all PCs offer a BIOS interface similar to what you’ll see below, but the precise layout and terms used vary between different motherboards. If you can’t follow our examples exactly, consult the manual that came with your motherboard.
The overclocking settings we show you here are normally only available on desktop motherboards – laptops do let you configure various BIOS settings but overclocking is not normally available. Depending on your CPU and board combination, not all the settings we show may be available, or they may have no effect.
If you change a setting you didn't mean to, you can always quit the BIOS and discard your changes, or revert to default settings. For more details, see the accompanying feature in issue 202 of PC Pro magazine.
How to overclock cpu
It is a little outdated though. For example there is the EFI bios from Asus. Really cool plus with a Sandy Bridge you can get 5Ghz out of it. Massive. Visit http://howtooverclockcpu.org to find out now!
By howtooverclock on 24 Jun 2011
dude thats great . can you help me .i have a little problem with my gaming on my lenovo ideapad z570 .gaming stops after every 15 minuits. i have windows7ultimate and intel hd graphics 3000 but no graphic card. please catch me on firstname.lastname@example.org
By 1kdrocks on 8 Apr 2012
- Best of IFA 2014: what smartphones, tablets, smartwatches are expected to launch at IFA this year?
- How to uninstall a program on Windows: remove unwanted apps from your PC
- How to format a USB drive on a Mac or Windows
- What’s the best 4G network in the UK?
- How to set up a wireless hotspot for your business: give customers free or paid for internet access
- How to download YouTube videos: save YouTube videos to your iPhone, iPad, laptop or Android device
- How to access iCloud on a PC
- Nexus 5 vs Moto G 4G (2014 model)
- Chromecast vs Roku Streaming Stick vs Apple TV: what's the best TV streaming device?
- The 8 best small tablets of 2014: what's the best compact tablet?
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- How to turn off Google Location Tracking
- 20 years of PC Pro: our greatest review mistakes
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?