Sony ICD-SX68 review
Review Date: 17 Jun 2008
Reviewed By: Matthew Sparkes
Price when reviewed: £83 (£95 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
The market for dictaphones has been eroded in recent years by the appearance of mobile phones and MP3 players with built-in voice recorders.
However, if you regularly record lectures or interviews, a standalone device offers some advantages.
Sony's latest recorder has a nifty stand to prop the device at a convenient angle, can record at the click of one button and has three microphones.
Its 512MB of internal memory may seem meagre, especially when you consider that you can't add more, but it's enough for 185 hours of audio on the lowest recording setting.
This makes it a convenient option - until you transfer files to your PC. Despite its ability to play MP3 files, it records in a proprietary format, requiring bloated software to convert files to anything more useful.
Author: Matthew Sparkes
- Apple slaps down Google and police, as it takes high ground on user privacy
- Amazon releases high-end Kindle Voyage Touch
- What's on this week's PC Pro podcast?
- Virgin carpeted again for broadband speed claims
- Microsoft set to make more job cuts
- Sony warns of massive loss on smartphones
- Dropbox app doesn't work properly with iOS 8
- Dark clouds for Adobe as profits slide by 46%
- Amazon and Microsoft spend big on Google ads
- Narrow trenches help Virgin expand fibre network
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- Apple Watch, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Tim Cook's Apple back with a bang?
- BT Home Hub 5: how to get maximum speed
- 20 years of PC Pro: one-star reviews (including "the worst tablet we've ever seen")
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- The best smartwatches of 2014: what's the best smartwatch?
- Nexus 6 (X or Shamu) release date, price and specs rumour roundup
- Best of IDF: top tech and memorable moments from Intel's tech show
- How Apple Pay works and how to use it on your iPhone 6 or Apple Watch
- Abuse magnets: the people behind corporate Twitter accounts
- Putting people at the centre of software design
- How to use remote-access software
- Tech support horror stories
- Become a tech support superhero
- Best of IFA 2014: what smartphones, tablets, smartwatches are expected to launch at IFA this year?
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office