Apple MacBook Pro review
Review Date: 15 Dec 2006
Reviewed By: Dave Stevenson
Price when reviewed: (£1,699 inc VAT)
Following on from the original MacBook Pro, this new revision is externally unchanged. But Apple has replaced the 2GHz Core Duo with a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo, and installing Windows with the aid of Apple's Boot Camp produced a gratifyingly high benchmark score of 1.29, with accompanying battery life times of 2hrs 52mins under light use and 1hr 50mins under intense use. There's also 2GB of RAM, a 120GB hard disk and an excellent 15.4in, 1,440 x 900 widescreen TFT, as well as superb ergonomics. It isn't so hot on sheer value, though - just look at the Sony VAIO CGN-FE31H, which costs significantly less for a similar specification. But this sleek laptop is still a genuine head-turner and has the advantage of running Mac OS X too
Author: Dave Stevenson
- Will the next Windows 8.1 update arrive next month?
- BBC Sport comes to Chromecast
- Those parental-control filters? As few as 4% are signing up
- iPhone 6's Apple logo may light up for notifications
- Apple releases round 4 of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite betas
- Cortana preview headed to Britain in two weeks
- Google unveils Chrome OS update "Athena"
- Piracy warning letters: four strikes and you're not out
- iPhone 6 sapphire display: is Apple cutting costs with composite materials?
- Google admits games with in-app purchases aren't free
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Windows Easy Transfer – not so "easy" in Windows 8.1
- Formula 1: what a difference virtualisation makes
- Office of the future: comfy chairs and tablets everywhere
- I went to Glastonbury and the only thing that got high was my smartphone
- Meet the robots helping teach children
- PaperLater: would you pay to print the internet?
- Amazon vs Kobo: how much to make the ebook switch?
- Phishing emails: how I nearly got caught out
- Hacking the Internet of Things: from smart cars to toilets
- BlackBerry Passport release date, specs, features, and rumours: when is the new BlackBerry coming out?
- What's changing in the computing curriculum
- Teaching kids to code
- Best free translation apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone
- Five worst SMB security threats... and how to solve them
- Apple iOS vs Android vs Windows 8 – what's the best compact tablet OS?
- The 11 best tablets of 2014: what’s the best tablet on the market?
- How to free up hard disk space
- Driverless cars: could your next car be driven by a robot?
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office
- How to write your company's IT security policy
- Raspberry Pi and Wolfram: a must-have for every child
- Could you get by with Office Web Apps?