Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (1.5TB) review
Cheap and fast - the Seagate is an excellent high-capacity choice.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £98 (£113 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
After the 2TB Caviar Green, this is the largest disk on test this month - and alongside the cavernous amount of space, provided as four 375GB platters, is a 32MB cache.
Cramming so much storage into such a small space didn't seem to slow down the Seagate. An average read speed of 99.1MB/sec and write speed of 84.5MB/sec placed the Barracuda second on our performance leader board. Access times weren't spectacular, though - a file-write seek time of 7ms lagged behind many of the other drives here.
Nevertheless, other benchmarks were encouraging. The burst speed of 231.3MB/sec was one of the best results this month, and an average sequential read speed of 104.9MB/sec was the fastest of all the Seagate drives.
Also impressive is the price: at 7p/GB the Seagate offers the best value this month. Couple this with its rapid performance and it's clear that this is one of the best high-capacity storage options available.
Author: Mike Jennings
Skip the 7200.11 Series
The Seagate 7200.11 series of hard drives have a very high failure rate. Drives made in Thailand and with firmware SD15 are causing all sorts of problems and I've had one fail on me too. Just Google the following "7200.11 failures"
By lukemcurley on 1 Jan 2010
- Google reveals why it thinks we'll buy smartwatches
- Windows 8.2/Windows 9: release date, features and free cloud version
- Apple's top reasons for rejecting apps
- Raspberry Pi unveils HTML5-optimised browser
- Apple and FBI "actively investigating" celeb photo hack
- Swatch Touch smartwatch in development
- Did iCloud flaw lead to celeb photo hack?
- Microsoft refuses to hand over customer emails
- Apple signs up credit-card companies for NFC payments
- Apple bans developers from selling your health data
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- How to turn off Google Location Tracking
- 20 years of PC Pro: our greatest review mistakes
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Best of IFA 2014: what smartphones, tablets, smartwatches are expected to launch at IFA this year?
- How to uninstall a program on Windows: remove unwanted apps from your PC
- How to format a USB drive on a Mac or Windows
- What’s the best 4G network in the UK?
- How to set up a wireless hotspot for your business: give customers free or paid for internet access
- How to download YouTube videos: save YouTube videos to your iPhone, iPad, laptop or Android device
- How to access iCloud on a PC
- Nexus 5 vs Moto G 4G (2014 model)
- Chromecast vs Roku Streaming Stick vs Apple TV: what's the best TV streaming device?
- The 8 best small tablets of 2014: what's the best compact tablet?
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office