Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (1.5TB) review
After the 2TB Caviar Green, this is the largest disk on test this month - and alongside the cavernous amount of space, provided as four 375GB platters, is a 32MB cache.
Cramming so much storage into such a small space didn't seem to slow down the Seagate. An average read speed of 99.1MB/sec and write speed of 84.5MB/sec placed the Barracuda second on our performance leader board. Access times weren't spectacular, though - a file-write seek time of 7ms lagged behind many of the other drives here.
Nevertheless, other benchmarks were encouraging. The burst speed of 231.3MB/sec was one of the best results this month, and an average sequential read speed of 104.9MB/sec was the fastest of all the Seagate drives.
Also impressive is the price: at 7p/GB the Seagate offers the best value this month. Couple this with its rapid performance and it's clear that this is one of the best high-capacity storage options available.
Author: Mike Jennings
Skip the 7200.11 Series
The Seagate 7200.11 series of hard drives have a very high failure rate. Drives made in Thailand and with firmware SD15 are causing all sorts of problems and I've had one fail on me too. Just Google the following "7200.11 failures"
By lukemcurley on 1 Jan 2010
- Amazon and Microsoft spend big on Google ads
- Narrow-trenching help Virgin expand fibre network
- How to remove the U2 album from an iPhone: iTunes antivirus tool launched
- Windows 9 Technical Preview launch date revealed
- Why Microsoft was forced to buy Minecraft
- New Windows 9 videos show off multi-desktops and notification centre
- BT and mobile networks warn of rising cost of Scotland split
- Phones 4u collapse puts iPhone 6 orders in doubt
- Chromebook owners get access to Android apps
- SanDisk lets you pop half-terabyte card in your camera
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- Apple Watch, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Tim Cook's Apple back with a bang?
- BT Home Hub 5: how to get maximum speed
- 20 years of PC Pro: one-star reviews (including "the worst tablet we've ever seen")
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- The best smartwatches of 2014: what's the best smartwatch?
- Nexus 6 (X or Shamu) release date, price and specs rumour roundup
- Best of IDF: top tech and memorable moments from Intel's tech show
- How Apple Pay works and how to use it on your iPhone 6 or Apple Watch
- How to use remote-access software
- Tech support horror stories
- Become a tech support superhero
- Best of IFA 2014: what smartphones, tablets, smartwatches are expected to launch at IFA this year?
- How to uninstall a program on Windows: remove unwanted apps from your PC
- How to format a USB drive on a Mac or Windows
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office