Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (1TB) review
Excellent performance, good value and a generous warranty.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £75 (£86 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
The 1TB drive has a more promising set of specifications than other Seagate disks. Three 334GB platters and a 32MB cache bring the Seagate into line with the majority of its high-capacity rivals.
The 1TB Barracuda returned quick benchmark results - an average read speed of 94.9MB/sec was beaten by only four other drives, and its write speed of 86.2MB/sec was the second-quickest overall.
Other results - including a burst speed of 228.2MB/sec and an average sequential read speed of 100.2MB/sec - put the Barracuda into the upper echelons this month, even if access times were a little slow.
The only minor fault is the price, which at £75 comes out marginally higher than other 1TB drives with the cost per gigabyte working out at 8p. For that cash, though, you get excellent performance and a five-year warranty, so for users looking for reliability as well as speed it's one to consider.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Amazon and Microsoft spend big on Google ads
- Narrow-trenching help Virgin expand fibre network
- How to remove the U2 album from an iPhone: iTunes antivirus tool launched
- Windows 9 Technical Preview launch date revealed
- Why Microsoft was forced to buy Minecraft
- New Windows 9 videos show off multi-desktops and notification centre
- BT and mobile networks warn of rising cost of Scotland split
- Phones 4u collapse puts iPhone 6 orders in doubt
- Chromebook owners get access to Android apps
- SanDisk lets you pop half-terabyte card in your camera
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- Apple Watch, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Tim Cook's Apple back with a bang?
- BT Home Hub 5: how to get maximum speed
- 20 years of PC Pro: one-star reviews (including "the worst tablet we've ever seen")
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- The best smartwatches of 2014: what's the best smartwatch?
- Nexus 6 (X or Shamu) release date, price and specs rumour roundup
- Best of IDF: top tech and memorable moments from Intel's tech show
- How Apple Pay works and how to use it on your iPhone 6 or Apple Watch
- How to use remote-access software
- Tech support horror stories
- Become a tech support superhero
- Best of IFA 2014: what smartphones, tablets, smartwatches are expected to launch at IFA this year?
- How to uninstall a program on Windows: remove unwanted apps from your PC
- How to format a USB drive on a Mac or Windows
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office