Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (1TB) review
Excellent performance, good value and a generous warranty.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £75 (£86 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
The 1TB drive has a more promising set of specifications than other Seagate disks. Three 334GB platters and a 32MB cache bring the Seagate into line with the majority of its high-capacity rivals.
The 1TB Barracuda returned quick benchmark results - an average read speed of 94.9MB/sec was beaten by only four other drives, and its write speed of 86.2MB/sec was the second-quickest overall.
Other results - including a burst speed of 228.2MB/sec and an average sequential read speed of 100.2MB/sec - put the Barracuda into the upper echelons this month, even if access times were a little slow.
The only minor fault is the price, which at £75 comes out marginally higher than other 1TB drives with the cost per gigabyte working out at 8p. For that cash, though, you get excellent performance and a five-year warranty, so for users looking for reliability as well as speed it's one to consider.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Swatch Touch smartwatch in development
- Did iCloud flaw lead to celeb photo hack?
- Microsoft refuses to hand over customer emails
- Apple signs up credit-card companies for NFC payments
- Apple bans developers from selling your health data
- Intel unveils eight-core Haswell-E CPU
- Forget robot butlers: meet Fuji Xerox's robot printer
- Wing it: Google's drone delivery revealed
- Facebook testing keyword searching in old posts
- It's on: Apple announces 9 September event for the iPad, iWatch and iPhone 6... maybe
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- How to turn off Google Location Tracking
- 20 years of PC Pro: our greatest review mistakes
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Best of IFA 2014: what smartphones, tablets, smartwatches are expected to launch at IFA this year?
- How to uninstall a program on Windows: remove unwanted apps from your PC
- How to format a USB drive on a Mac or Windows
- What’s the best 4G network in the UK?
- How to set up a wireless hotspot for your business: give customers free or paid for internet access
- How to download YouTube videos: save YouTube videos to your iPhone, iPad, laptop or Android device
- How to access iCloud on a PC
- Nexus 5 vs Moto G 4G (2014 model)
- Chromecast vs Roku Streaming Stick vs Apple TV: what's the best TV streaming device?
- The 8 best small tablets of 2014: what's the best compact tablet?
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office