Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (1TB) review
The 1TB drive has a more promising set of specifications than other Seagate disks. Three 334GB platters and a 32MB cache bring the Seagate into line with the majority of its high-capacity rivals.
The 1TB Barracuda returned quick benchmark results - an average read speed of 94.9MB/sec was beaten by only four other drives, and its write speed of 86.2MB/sec was the second-quickest overall.
Other results - including a burst speed of 228.2MB/sec and an average sequential read speed of 100.2MB/sec - put the Barracuda into the upper echelons this month, even if access times were a little slow.
The only minor fault is the price, which at £75 comes out marginally higher than other 1TB drives with the cost per gigabyte working out at 8p. For that cash, though, you get excellent performance and a five-year warranty, so for users looking for reliability as well as speed it's one to consider.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Google boosts secure logins with USB Security Key
- Nominations now open for UK Cloud Awards 2015
- Lenovo rumoured to be acquiring BlackBerry
- Apple releases iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay
- Microsoft offers cloud access to help fight Ebola
- Google suggests legal alternatives to dodgy downloads
- Trolls face two years in jail under new laws
- Nexus Player pre-sales halted after certification troubles
- Microsoft smartwatch coming "within weeks"
- ISPs ordered to block six websites for trademark infringement
- Google Glass: mugger bait, pub problem and other lessons learned from two dangerous weeks
- Twitter, please don't fiddle with my feed
- How Satya Nadella can get some pay-raise karma
- Windows 10: a step back to go forward
- Michael Dell: Cloud infrastructure is the roads, bridges and highways of the 21st century
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- iPad Air 2 vs Nexus 9: Apple and Google's latest high-end tablets compared
- Five things that are actually new in the iPad Air 2
- Bendgate, Antennagate, and why Apple doesn’t care about bad news
- iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 release date, specs and UK price rumours
- Office Online vs Google Docs: which free online office suite is best?
- iPhone 6 Plus vs iPhone 6 design comparison
- How to speed up an Android smartphone
- Nexus 6 release date, specs, UK price and leaked images
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus screen comparison
- Mac OS X Yosemite release date, price and new features
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office