Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (750GB) review
Unpredictable performance and poor value ruin this Seagate.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £65 (£75 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
Seagate varies its specifications more than any other manufacturer. The 640GB Barracuda boasts two platters and a 32MB cache; this 750GB drive has four 188GB platters but only 16MB of buffer, resulting in predictably reduced performance.
Average read and write speeds of 82.8MB/sec and 77.4MB/sec respectively saw the 750GB Barracuda lurching towards the bottom of our results table, and seek times of 17ms and 5ms were also average.
Its burst speed of 114.2MB/sec was half that of the fastest drives, with most of the field scoring more than 200MB/sec, although the 16ms random access time and 87.4MB/sec average sequential read speed were respectable enough.
Performance is coupled with a high price of £65 exc VAT (and a high cost per gigabyte of 9.3p), which makes this Barracuda an unpalatable proposition. Other 750GB drives - such as the Samsung SpinPoint F1 - offer better performance and value, and are far worthier choices.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Audioboo to become Audioboom in app revamp
- Apple slaps down Google and police, as it takes high ground on user privacy
- Amazon releases high-end Kindle Voyage Touch
- What's on this week's PC Pro podcast?
- Virgin carpeted again for broadband speed claims
- Microsoft set to make more job cuts
- Sony warns of massive loss on smartphones
- Dropbox app doesn't work properly with iOS 8
- Dark clouds for Adobe as profits slide by 46%
- Amazon and Microsoft spend big on Google ads
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- Apple Watch, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Tim Cook's Apple back with a bang?
- BT Home Hub 5: how to get maximum speed
- 20 years of PC Pro: one-star reviews (including "the worst tablet we've ever seen")
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- How to install iOS 8 without deleting apps and data
- The best smartwatches of 2014: what's the best smartwatch?
- Nexus 6 (X or Shamu) release date, price and specs rumour roundup
- Best of IDF: top tech and memorable moments from Intel's tech show
- How Apple Pay works and how to use it on your iPhone 6 or Apple Watch
- Abuse magnets: the people behind corporate Twitter accounts
- Putting people at the centre of software design
- How to use remote-access software
- Tech support horror stories
- Become a tech support superhero
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office