Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (750GB) review
Unpredictable performance and poor value ruin this Seagate.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £65 (£75 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
Seagate varies its specifications more than any other manufacturer. The 640GB Barracuda boasts two platters and a 32MB cache; this 750GB drive has four 188GB platters but only 16MB of buffer, resulting in predictably reduced performance.
Average read and write speeds of 82.8MB/sec and 77.4MB/sec respectively saw the 750GB Barracuda lurching towards the bottom of our results table, and seek times of 17ms and 5ms were also average.
Its burst speed of 114.2MB/sec was half that of the fastest drives, with most of the field scoring more than 200MB/sec, although the 16ms random access time and 87.4MB/sec average sequential read speed were respectable enough.
Performance is coupled with a high price of £65 exc VAT (and a high cost per gigabyte of 9.3p), which makes this Barracuda an unpalatable proposition. Other 750GB drives - such as the Samsung SpinPoint F1 - offer better performance and value, and are far worthier choices.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Will Android Wear work with iOS?
- Amazon loses $170 million on Fire phone
- Photos: Information Age revealed at the Science Museum
- Surface makes $1bn for Microsoft in three months
- Facebook Rooms to give anonymity to iPhone users
- Google buys Oxford University AI startups
- Microsoft Kinect SDK 2 brings apps to Windows Store
- Raspberry Pi unveils DIY tablet kit
- Windows 10: two-factor authentication coming to every device
- What is Google Inbox?
- Google Glass: mugger bait, pub problem and other lessons learned from two dangerous weeks
- Twitter, please don't fiddle with my feed
- How Satya Nadella can get some pay-raise karma
- Windows 10: a step back to go forward
- Michael Dell: Cloud infrastructure is the roads, bridges and highways of the 21st century
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- iPad Air 2 vs Nexus 9: Apple and Google's latest high-end tablets compared
- Five things that are actually new in the iPad Air 2
- Bendgate, Antennagate, and why Apple doesn’t care about bad news
- iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 release date, specs and UK price rumours
- Office Online vs Google Docs: which free online office suite is best?
- iPhone 6 Plus vs iPhone 6 design comparison
- How to speed up an Android smartphone
- Nexus 6 release date, specs, UK price and leaked images
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus screen comparison
- Mac OS X Yosemite release date, price and new features
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office