Samsung SpinPoint F1 (1TB) review
The largest SpinPoint drive on test benefits from the same features as the rest of Samsung's range, with PMR technology, NoiseGuard and SilentSeek all present.
In our benchmarks, though, the 1TB SpinPoint wasn't quite as quick as the award-winning 750GB model - despite its denser 334GB platters. But results were still encouraging, with the Samsung comfortably sitting in the top half of our results table.
A read result of 93.1MB/sec is respectable, as is the write speed of 82.3MB/sec - although those looking for optimum speed may want to relinquish 250GB of space for better performance.
There's good value for money available here, too - at 7.4p/GB, it's on a par with the 750GB Samsung, although the Seagate DiamondMax 22 offers 1TB of storage for fractionally less. It's a good drive overall, but not quite good enough - the 750GB SpinPoint is better in almost every department.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Windows 10 trackpad shortcuts: Microsoft takes a leaf out of Apple's book
- Promo: Using IBM BlueMix to create successful business apps
- Why the Microsoft Band could be a game changer
- What's on this week's PC Pro podcast?
- Microsoft Office 16 set to launch late next year
- HP's vision for the future of PCs: the 3D Sprout
- How Google X plans to detect cancer and heart disease using nano-magnets
- Google Fit app arrives, but without third-party support
- Five ways Amazon Fire TV Stick beats Google Chromecast
- Lenovo's Smartband will unlock your PC
- Google Glass: mugger bait, pub problem and other lessons learned from two dangerous weeks
- Twitter, please don't fiddle with my feed
- How Satya Nadella can get some pay-raise karma
- Windows 10: a step back to go forward
- Michael Dell: Cloud infrastructure is the roads, bridges and highways of the 21st century
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- Five smartwatch features we’ll see by 2015
- How to wipe an Android phone or tablet
- iPad Air 2 vs Nexus 9: Apple and Google's latest high-end tablets compared
- Five things that are actually new in the iPad Air 2
- Bendgate, Antennagate, and why Apple doesn’t care about bad news
- iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 release date, specs and UK price rumours
- Office Online vs Google Docs: which free online office suite is best?
- iPhone 6 Plus vs iPhone 6 design comparison
- How to speed up an Android smartphone
- Nexus 6 release date, specs, UK price and leaked images
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office