Samsung SpinPoint F1 (640GB) review
Good performance, an improved specification and excellent value.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £46 (£53 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
Samsung's 500GB SpinPoint F1 may disappoint, but the 640GB version is far more promising. There's a healthier 16MB cache, and the two 320GB platters offer vastly improved performance over the two 250GB platters of the smaller drive.
The 640GB SpinPoint managed an impressive 91.4MB/sec in our read test with an access time of 13ms - a result that was only beaten by a couple of other drives this month. File writing was no problem either, with the 81.7MB/sec speed and 3ms access time impressing.
A burst speed of 217.8MB/sec is reasonably quick and an average sequential read speed of 96.3MB/sec is far better than the 500GB drive's 67.6MB/sec result - although the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 640GB disk was quicker still.
The 640GB SpinPoint offers good value for money: at £46, it's actually a penny per gigabyte cheaper than the 500GB drive. It's also far cheaper than the equivalent Seagate drive, and so well worth consideration.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Europol warns: public Wi-Fi isn't safe
- Privacy groups challenge Facebook's WhatsApp buy
- IDC: iPad intertia opens door for Windows tablets
- Chip breakthrough to eliminate checkout queues
- Rivals put on notice as Spotify snaps up The Echo Nest
- Windows 8.1 Update 1 leaks via Microsoft's website
- Bitcoin "founder" says: you've got the wrong man
- Has bitcoin creator been found?
- HTC Desire 310: more competition for the Moto G
- Mozilla questions why Dell charges £16 to install Firefox
- Move over Delia: IBM Watson is cooking tonight
- Eric Schmidt on the double-edged smartphone: friend and foe
- Getty joins the race to the bottom
- Hour of Code: five steps to learn how to code
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet review: first look
- Sony Xperia Z2 review: first look
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 review: first look
- Nokia XL review: first look
- Samsung Galaxy S5 review: first look
- Nokia X review: first look
- Make the most of your mobile data
- Old-school internet scams: five that just won't die
- Bitcoin believers not worried by Mt. Gox disarray
- How to hack your car
- Small server vs cloud: which is best for SMBs?
- Block party: why do millions play Minecraft?
- What to do if you’re still on Windows XP
- Microsoft Word: top 20 secret features
- Measuring me: is your body the future of security?
- The best mobile apps for business
- Windows Server 2012 R2: how the Datacenter edition could change SMBs
- Invoices and VAT: how to set up your documents correctly
- Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 Active: the best phone for avoiding screen burn
- How much is a social user worth?
- The key to choosing a secure password
- Thunderbolt Bridge: a fast Mac migration tool
- Should you advertise on Twitter?
- How to track a lost smartphone
- Self-publishing success: the best way to sell your book
- 1.6TB SSD: why would you need one?