Samsung SpinPoint F1 (640GB) review
Good performance, an improved specification and excellent value.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £46 (£53 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
Samsung's 500GB SpinPoint F1 may disappoint, but the 640GB version is far more promising. There's a healthier 16MB cache, and the two 320GB platters offer vastly improved performance over the two 250GB platters of the smaller drive.
The 640GB SpinPoint managed an impressive 91.4MB/sec in our read test with an access time of 13ms - a result that was only beaten by a couple of other drives this month. File writing was no problem either, with the 81.7MB/sec speed and 3ms access time impressing.
A burst speed of 217.8MB/sec is reasonably quick and an average sequential read speed of 96.3MB/sec is far better than the 500GB drive's 67.6MB/sec result - although the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 640GB disk was quicker still.
The 640GB SpinPoint offers good value for money: at £46, it's actually a penny per gigabyte cheaper than the 500GB drive. It's also far cheaper than the equivalent Seagate drive, and so well worth consideration.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Windows 10 trackpad shortcuts: Microsoft takes a leaf out of Apple's book
- Promo: Using IBM BlueMix to create successful business apps
- Why the Microsoft Band could be a game changer
- What's on this week's PC Pro podcast?
- Microsoft Office 16 set to launch late next year
- HP's vision for the future of PCs: the 3D Sprout
- How Google X plans to detect cancer and heart disease using nano-magnets
- Google Fit app arrives, but without third-party support
- Five ways Amazon Fire TV Stick beats Google Chromecast
- Lenovo's Smartband will unlock your PC
- Google Glass: mugger bait, pub problem and other lessons learned from two dangerous weeks
- Twitter, please don't fiddle with my feed
- How Satya Nadella can get some pay-raise karma
- Windows 10: a step back to go forward
- Michael Dell: Cloud infrastructure is the roads, bridges and highways of the 21st century
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- Five smartwatch features we’ll see by 2015
- How to wipe an Android phone or tablet
- iPad Air 2 vs Nexus 9: Apple and Google's latest high-end tablets compared
- Five things that are actually new in the iPad Air 2
- Bendgate, Antennagate, and why Apple doesn’t care about bad news
- iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 release date, specs and UK price rumours
- Office Online vs Google Docs: which free online office suite is best?
- iPhone 6 Plus vs iPhone 6 design comparison
- How to speed up an Android smartphone
- Nexus 6 release date, specs, UK price and leaked images
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office