Samsung SpinPoint F1 (640GB) review
Good performance, an improved specification and excellent value.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £46 (£53 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
Samsung's 500GB SpinPoint F1 may disappoint, but the 640GB version is far more promising. There's a healthier 16MB cache, and the two 320GB platters offer vastly improved performance over the two 250GB platters of the smaller drive.
The 640GB SpinPoint managed an impressive 91.4MB/sec in our read test with an access time of 13ms - a result that was only beaten by a couple of other drives this month. File writing was no problem either, with the 81.7MB/sec speed and 3ms access time impressing.
A burst speed of 217.8MB/sec is reasonably quick and an average sequential read speed of 96.3MB/sec is far better than the 500GB drive's 67.6MB/sec result - although the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 640GB disk was quicker still.
The 640GB SpinPoint offers good value for money: at £46, it's actually a penny per gigabyte cheaper than the 500GB drive. It's also far cheaper than the equivalent Seagate drive, and so well worth consideration.
Author: Mike Jennings
- What's on this week's PC Pro podcast?
- Met Police unveils FALCON to fight cybercrime
- Free Windows attracts 50 new tablet and phone makers
- Send a text and these SSDs will self-destruct
- How to download Windows 10 Technical Preview
- Mozilla takes aim at Chromecast with $25 dongle
- Microsoft reveals Windows 10... no, really
- eBay and PayPal split up
- iOS 8.0.2: old problems remain, new bugs added
- Technopop: London sci-tech festival is just for kids
- Windows 10: a step back to go forward
- Michael Dell: Cloud infrastructure is the roads, bridges and highways of the 21st century
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- Apple Watch, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Tim Cook's Apple back with a bang?
- BT Home Hub 5: how to get maximum speed
- 20 years of PC Pro: one-star reviews (including "the worst tablet we've ever seen")
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus screen comparison
- Mac OS X Yosemite release date, price and new features
- Smartphone benchmarks 2014: what's the fastest smartphone?
- What is Kindle Unlimited and how does it work?
- BlackBerry Passport release date, UK price and specs
- How to change keyboard in iOS 8: customise the iPhone 6 keyboard
- The 7 best Chromebooks of 2014
- Apple iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: is the new iPhone 6 better than the Galaxy S5?
- How to install iOS 8 without deleting apps and data
- The best smartwatches of 2014: what's the best smartwatch?
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office