Samsung SpinPoint F1 (500GB) review
Average performance and features: this month's worst SpinPoint disk.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £41 (£47 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
The SpinPoint brand carries plenty of kudos, but that doesn't ensure success - this 500GB drive, for instance, is one of the poorest on show this month.
The 8MB cache can't compete with the 16MB or 32MB offered elsewhere, and the features - including NoiseGuard, SilentSeek and PMR (perpendicular magnetic recording) - are also unremarkable.
So it was no surprise that performance was disappointing. Results of 64.8MB/sec and 61.5MB/sec in our file read and write tests lagged behind all but one disk this month - the Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB - and access times of 14ms and 5ms were average too.
The 500GB SpinPoint doesn't offer good value for money, either. At 8.8p/GB, it's relatively expensive compared with most of the other small-capacity disks on test. Samsung's own 500GB EcoGreen drive, for instance, offers the same capacity and improved performance for £4 less. So if you're going to buy a 500GB Samsung, don't make it this one.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Swatch Touch smartwatch in development
- Did iCloud flaw lead to celeb photo hack?
- Microsoft refuses to hand over customer emails
- Apple signs up credit-card companies for NFC payments
- Apple bans developers from selling your health data
- Intel unveils eight-core Haswell-E CPU
- Forget robot butlers: meet Fuji Xerox's robot printer
- Wing it: Google's drone delivery revealed
- Facebook testing keyword searching in old posts
- It's on: Apple announces 9 September event for the iPad, iWatch and iPhone 6... maybe
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- How to turn off Google Location Tracking
- 20 years of PC Pro: our greatest review mistakes
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Best of IFA 2014: what smartphones, tablets, smartwatches are expected to launch at IFA this year?
- How to uninstall a program on Windows: remove unwanted apps from your PC
- How to format a USB drive on a Mac or Windows
- What’s the best 4G network in the UK?
- How to set up a wireless hotspot for your business: give customers free or paid for internet access
- How to download YouTube videos: save YouTube videos to your iPhone, iPad, laptop or Android device
- How to access iCloud on a PC
- Nexus 5 vs Moto G 4G (2014 model)
- Chromecast vs Roku Streaming Stick vs Apple TV: what's the best TV streaming device?
- The 8 best small tablets of 2014: what's the best compact tablet?
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office