Samsung SpinPoint F1 (500GB) review
Average performance and features: this month's worst SpinPoint disk.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £41 (£47 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
The SpinPoint brand carries plenty of kudos, but that doesn't ensure success - this 500GB drive, for instance, is one of the poorest on show this month.
The 8MB cache can't compete with the 16MB or 32MB offered elsewhere, and the features - including NoiseGuard, SilentSeek and PMR (perpendicular magnetic recording) - are also unremarkable.
So it was no surprise that performance was disappointing. Results of 64.8MB/sec and 61.5MB/sec in our file read and write tests lagged behind all but one disk this month - the Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB - and access times of 14ms and 5ms were average too.
The 500GB SpinPoint doesn't offer good value for money, either. At 8.8p/GB, it's relatively expensive compared with most of the other small-capacity disks on test. Samsung's own 500GB EcoGreen drive, for instance, offers the same capacity and improved performance for £4 less. So if you're going to buy a 500GB Samsung, don't make it this one.
Author: Mike Jennings
- Forget monitors: your next display may be mist or bubbles
- Google+ head Vic Gundotra steps down
- Tech firms shell out to prevent another Heartbleed
- Cisco: 100% of companies hosting malware
- Brits willing to pay for secure web services
- Google creates Maps time machine
- Facebook scores with mobile advertising
- Cook: Microsoft should have released Office for iPad sooner
- What's on this week's PC Pro podcast?
- Universal wireless charging gets a boost from Microsoft
- Hello Cortana, it's nice to meet you
- Windows 8.1 Update: an abject surrender
- The insane economics of Sky Now TV
- No such thing as a free app... so pay up if you want quality
- Time to outlaw crapware-laden installers
- Windows Phone 8.1 video: hands-on
- Office for iPad: key information
- Why every PC buyer owes Richard Durkin a debt of gratitude
- HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: 2014's big-hitters compared
- Windows XP end of life: key information
- How to upgrade from Windows XP to Ubuntu
- The great iPhone ripoff and how it works
- Heartbleed: what you need to know and do
- Data recovery: inside the clean room
- Best tablet PCs to buy in 2014
- How much RAM do you really need?
- News of the weird: the strangest ever tech stories
- Five hyped technologies: disruptive or not?
- Piracy's dying: why we're all going straight
- Office: should you buy it, rent it - or dump it?
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office
- How to write your company's IT security policy
- Raspberry Pi and Wolfram: a must-have for every child
- Could you get by with Office Web Apps?
- The best Android antivirus apps for 2014
- Headings vs headers: how to use both in Word