Samsung SpinPoint F1 (500GB) review
Average performance and features: this month's worst SpinPoint disk.
Review Date: 29 Apr 2009
Reviewed By: Mike Jennings
Price when reviewed: £41 (£47 inc VAT)
Features & Design
Value for Money
The SpinPoint brand carries plenty of kudos, but that doesn't ensure success - this 500GB drive, for instance, is one of the poorest on show this month.
The 8MB cache can't compete with the 16MB or 32MB offered elsewhere, and the features - including NoiseGuard, SilentSeek and PMR (perpendicular magnetic recording) - are also unremarkable.
So it was no surprise that performance was disappointing. Results of 64.8MB/sec and 61.5MB/sec in our file read and write tests lagged behind all but one disk this month - the Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB - and access times of 14ms and 5ms were average too.
The 500GB SpinPoint doesn't offer good value for money, either. At 8.8p/GB, it's relatively expensive compared with most of the other small-capacity disks on test. Samsung's own 500GB EcoGreen drive, for instance, offers the same capacity and improved performance for £4 less. So if you're going to buy a 500GB Samsung, don't make it this one.
Author: Mike Jennings
- What's on this week's PC Pro podcast?
- Apple TV adds HBO Go, Sky News and WatchESPN
- Surface RT tablets to feature Qualcomm processors
- BT CEO steps down to join government
- Nvidia to license graphics tech to smartphone makers
- Microsoft frees two million PCs from botnet
- Huawei considers Nokia buyout
- Child abuse showdown "hijacked by ignorant MPs"
- Government wheedles more funding for online child protection from ISPs
- AMD’s "Seattle" ARM chips set for 2014 release
- Adobe Dreamweaver CC review: first look
- Huawei Ascend P6 review: first look
- Adobe Illustrator CC review: first look
- Let MPs tell us what they really want ISPs to block
- Adobe Photoshop CC review: first look
- WWDC 2013 and iOS 7 launch: live blog
- Sony VAIO Pro review: first look
- Want child porn blocked? Meet the IWF
- Is it worth upgrading a media centre to Windows 8?
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Manage a mailing list with MailChimp
- Best Linux distros for 2013
- 36 best Android apps
- How to track a stolen phone, laptop or tablet
- The man who teaches the world to Google
- 38 best iPad apps
- Moving PC made easy
- 35 best web apps
- Software subscriptions return us to a life of servitude
- Dropbox: everything you need to know
- Facebook "click on the photo" scams: how they work
- Three alternatives to Word's spelling and grammar checker
- Google two-step verification: a must for business email
- Microsoft Office and the death of upgrades
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
There are dozens of exciting prizes up for grabs on PC Pro Competitions. All our competitions are free to enter. Try your luck.ENTER NOW