Real Networks hails EU judge's ruling against Microsoft
By Steve Malone
Posted on 22 Dec 2004 at 12:18
Real Networks, as the only company still participating in the Commission's action against Microsoft, was understandably pleased that Judge Bo Vesterdorf dismissed Redmond's actions, claiming that 'The court's denial of Microsoft's appeal is a great victory for the Commission and for the Consumer.'
Dave Stewart, Real Networks' Deputy General Counsel told us 'The Commission has laid down an important precedent. In future Microsoft should provide for full operability in all relevant areas allowing competitors to interoperate with Microsoft's dominant server and client products'
Real will now be trying to take the place of Windows Media Player in the affections of Europe's Windows users. 'We will be making every effort to try and realise the goals of the Commission's actions,' said Stewart. 'We will be working with OEMs to try and get our product included on Windows computers.'
Stewart was adamant that Real was committed to seeing the case through to the end even though many of the organisations siding with the Commission, such as Sun and Novell, had withdrawn from the action. 'We will continue to support the Commission in its legal proceedings with Microsoft,' he said.
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- CeBit 2014 diary: Cameron comes to town
- The 5 most interesting UK businesses at SXSW
- Quickest way to upload 1GB? Hop on a train
- Move over Delia: IBM Watson is cooking tonight
- Eric Schmidt on the double-edged smartphone: friend and foe
- Getty joins the race to the bottom
- Hour of Code: five steps to learn how to code
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet review: first look
- Sony Xperia Z2 review: first look
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 review: first look
- Headings vs headers: how to use both in Word
- Windows Server 2012 R2: how the Datacenter edition could change SMBs
- Invoices and VAT: how to set up your documents correctly
- Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 Active: the best phone for avoiding screen burn
- How much is a social user worth?
- The key to choosing a secure password
- Thunderbolt Bridge: a fast Mac migration tool
- Should you advertise on Twitter?
- How to track a lost smartphone
- Self-publishing success: the best way to sell your book