Gmail, Google Docs hit by unexplained outage
By Shona Ghosh
Posted on 17 Apr 2013 at 15:49
Google apps including Gmail, Drive and Docs are down for some users, with the firm experiencing an outage since this morning.
Google said six out of its 13 services were seeing some disruption, with only a small number of users reporting issues. It said less than 0.007% of its total Gmail user base was affected, or around 30,000 users.
The firm has yet to disclose further information for any of its other affected services, but says it expects to restore Gmail access to all users "shortly".
"Google Mail service has already been restored for some users, and we expect a resolution for all users in the near future," said the firm this afternoon.
A number of users took to Twitter to complain about the outage and Google’s slow response in updating its status dashboard.
"Took Google almost two hours to update their Apps Status Board," said one user. "Issues will be fixed 'in the near future' - what kind of a timeframe is that?"
Google said it had no further comment.
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
I had some problems yesterday with both my GMail and Virgin Mail accounts (I think Virgin Mail is basically just GMail as well?).
At first I thought Thunderbird was playing up, but it could have been related to this issue.
By Alfresco on 18 Apr 2013
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Windows Easy Transfer – not so "easy" in Windows 8.1
- Formula 1: what a difference virtualisation makes
- Office of the future: comfy chairs and tablets everywhere
- I went to Glastonbury and the only thing that got high was my smartphone
- Meet the robots helping teach children
- PaperLater: would you pay to print the internet?
- Amazon vs Kobo: how much to make the ebook switch?
- Phishing emails: how I nearly got caught out