Survey reveals woeful service from broadband big boys
By Barry Collins
Posted on 18 Mar 2009 at 16:35
Eight out of 11 of the country's biggest ISPs scored 50% or less for customer satisfaction in a survey conducted by Thinkbroadband.com.
O2 topped the rankings of large ISPs, scoring 79% for customer satisfaction and 72% for reliability.
Orange came bottom of the big boys' pile, with a customer satisfaction score of only 33%. Tiscali, Pipex, AOL and TalkTalk all failed to score above 40%.
"The large companies down at the bottom are mostly the cheap ones," Thinkbroadband.com editor, Andrew Ferguson, told PC Pro. "If it leaves you banging your head against the desk, what's the point of saving five pounds a month?"
Ferguson blames the call-centre culture for the appalling customer service scores. "The big call centres have to wait for stuff to trickle up [to technicians] and trickle down again," he said. "It means it can be a week or more before the solution trickles down to the person on the phone."
Ferguson also claims that they "stick to the script without fail", leaving customers frustrated when help desks fail to provide practical solutions to problems.
Small and medium-sized ISPs clocked up, on average, far higher customer service rankings than their larger counterparts, with average customer service scores of more than 60%, compared to 44% for the major ISPs.
IDNet and Zen Internet scored highest among the "niche" ISPs.
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- How to turn off Google Location Tracking
- 20 years of PC Pro: our greatest review mistakes
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Windows Easy Transfer – not so "easy" in Windows 8.1
- Formula 1: what a difference virtualisation makes
- ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
- Webroot Internet Security Essentials
- Trend Micro Internet Security
- PC Tools Internet Security 2009
- Panda Internet Security 2009
- Norton Internet Security 2009
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
- F-Secure Internet Security 2009
- AVG Internet Security 8
- BullGuard Internet Security 8.5