Patch Tuesday paralyses Internet Explorer
Posted on 19 Dec 2007 at 09:49
Last week's critical security update to Internet Explorer has crippled the browser for many users.
The problem is reportedly affecting Internet Explorer 6 users on Windows XP. The fault causes the browser to crash in a number of different scenarios, such as when printing web pages.
Microsoft's support forums received dozens of complaints soon after the patch was released. "Specifically, about 60% of the time, I would get an 'Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close' dialog, " reports one affected user on the Microsoft Windows Update forum.
In a message posted on Microsoft's Security Response Center website, the company admits it has a problem. "We have been investigating public reports of possible problems on systems that have installed the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (942615), released earlier this month," it reads.
"We have been working with a small number of customers that reported issues related to the installation of MS07-069. Specifically, on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, Internet Explorer 6 may stop responding when you try to a visit a website."
In response, Microsoft has issued a Knowledge Base article that offers various fixes for the eight issues reported.
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- Hello Cortana, it's nice to meet you
- Windows 8.1 Update: an abject surrender
- The insane economics of Sky Now TV
- No such thing as a free app... so pay up if you want quality
- Time to outlaw crapware-laden installers
- Windows Phone 8.1 video: hands-on
- Office for iPad: key information
- Why every PC buyer owes Richard Durkin a debt of gratitude
- HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: 2014's big-hitters compared
- Windows XP end of life: key information
- ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
- Webroot Internet Security Essentials
- Trend Micro Internet Security
- PC Tools Internet Security 2009
- Panda Internet Security 2009
- Norton Internet Security 2009
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
- F-Secure Internet Security 2009
- AVG Internet Security 8
- BullGuard Internet Security 8.5