Music majors explore new horizons
Posted on 20 Sep 2006 at 11:17
Having finally woken up to the potential of the Internet to get new musicians heard by a large number of people at little cost, the music majors are now using the medium to try and promote newer artists by offering fans an attractive new proposition - MP3 versions of albums with no DRM attached.
First out of the gate is the new album from tweenie heart throb Jesse McCartney. Yahoo! Music is offering the album 'Right Where You Want Me' for download in either MP3 or WMA format for $9.99 without copy protection. Earlier this year, Yahoo! sold a DRM-free version of a Jessica Simpson single.
Apparently McCartney is looking to change his sound to appeal to an older and hipper crowd. According to Yahoo's Jay Frank, Yahoo! Music will help get Jesse's new music discovered by both old and new fans, as well as empower them to purchase songs with no restrictions'
Also entering into the increasingly crowded downloadable music market is M Buzz from Sony Ericsson.
The service is designed as a showcase for musicians from Sony/ATV's stable of artists and will offer full tracks, videos, biographies and tour dates. among those to be featured at launch are bands such as Kish Mauve, Embassy, Dirty Perfect, FKLV, Iggy, The Head Set, Bobby Kray, Anjulie, Lights and Monte*Rosa. No, we haven't heard of any of them either.
The service will use Sony Ericsson's PlayNow service. Originally designed as a marketplace for ringtones, it has been upgraded to include full music tracks and allows consumers to download music to Sony Ericsson phones.
The full service will launch on 2 October in the twenty marketplaces PlayNow is already available. The first phones offering M-BUZZ will be the W850 and W950 Walkman phones announced earlier this year and scheduled to arrive on European, Asian and Latin American shelves towards the end of the year.
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- Windows 8.1 Update: an abject surrender
- The insane economics of Sky Now TV
- No such thing as a free app... so pay up if you want quality
- Time to outlaw crapware-laden installers
- Windows Phone 8.1 video: hands-on
- Office for iPad: key information
- Why every PC buyer owes Richard Durkin a debt of gratitude
- HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: 2014's big-hitters compared
- Windows XP end of life: key information
- Cut out the broadband jargon? What jargon?
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office
- How to write your company's IT security policy
- Raspberry Pi and Wolfram: a must-have for every child
- Could you get by with Office Web Apps?
- The best Android antivirus apps for 2014
- Headings vs headers: how to use both in Word
- Windows Server 2012 R2: how the Datacenter edition could change SMBs