Time tips the best sites of 2006
By Steve Malone
Posted on 16 Aug 2006 at 11:51
The Time.com web site has published its annual list of rising stars on the Internet for the past four years and has tipped some established stars such as eBay, Hotmail, Paypal, Google along the way.
The 2006 list includes a healthy slice of so-called Web 2.0 social networking sites which have made a splash - and not inconsiderable sums for their founders - in the past year or so.
Among the more expected nominees are the much-discussed MySpace with its 100 million users and its ability to make stars of its members along with the equally successful and much imitated YouTube.
Also included is the news site Digg where stories are recommended, discussed and voted for by the visitors which has also seen its stock rise in 2006.
There are also a number of obscurities which the judges felt showed great promise such as Pandora, which will allow you customise your own Internet radio playlist. For the baby boomers Wolfgang's Vault will stream live performances you were too stoned to remember from the 1960s and '70s including The Doors, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane and Bob Marley. Finally, Podcast Pickle indexes around 10,000 assorted podcasts to let listeners make sense of the wave of casts now produced daily.
- Huawei Ascend P6 review: first look
- Adobe Illustrator CC review: first look
- Let MPs tell us what they really want ISPs to block
- Adobe Photoshop CC review: first look
- WWDC 2013 and iOS 7 launch: live blog
- Sony VAIO Pro review: first look
- Want child porn blocked? Meet the IWF
- Is it worth upgrading a media centre to Windows 8?
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Facebook "click on the photo" scams: how they work
- Three alternatives to Word's spelling and grammar checker
- Google two-step verification: a must for business email
- Microsoft Office and the death of upgrades
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts