Microsoft loses top execs Tony Bates and Tami Reller
Posted on 3 Mar 2014 at 09:11
Microsoft will undergo another major management reshuffle under new CEO Satya Nadella, with former Skype boss, Tony Bates, and executive vice-president of marketing, Tami Reller, set to leave the company.
Executive vice president of advertising and strategy Mark Penn will become Microsoft’s chief strategy officer, and is set to have a bigger hand in decide which markets the company should be in and where it should make further investments, according to the New York Times.
Bates, currently in charge of Microsoft's business development, will leave immediately, according to Recode, citing anonymous sources. Bates has previously worked at Cisco and was considered one of the potential CEO candidates to succeed Steve Ballmer, who announced his retirement in August.
Eric Rudder, head of advanced strategy, will temporarily take up Bates' duties, while marketing executive Chris Capossela will replace Reller, according to the report.
Reller, one of the top female executives at the company and co-head of Microsoft's Windows unit, will remain with the company for some time to help with the transition.
The report said Nadella, who was appointed CEO on earlier this month, told staff of the changes on Friday and the company plans to announce them publicly on Tuesday. The news comes after Julie Larson-Green, another top Microsoft exec, shifted from heading up the Devices and Studios group to make way for former Nokia CEO Stephen Elop.
Microsoft declined to comment on the reports.
- Windows 10: a step back to go forward
- Michael Dell: Cloud infrastructure is the roads, bridges and highways of the 21st century
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- Apple Watch, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Tim Cook's Apple back with a bang?
- BT Home Hub 5: how to get maximum speed
- 20 years of PC Pro: one-star reviews (including "the worst tablet we've ever seen")
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office