Dell faces bidding war with rumoured rival offer
By Stewart Mitchell
Posted on 19 Mar 2013 at 10:05
The consortium of investors – including Microsoft – that's planning to buy Dell could face competition from at least one other major investor, as the deadline for a deal gets closer.
Dell's board has a deadline of 22 March for receiving other offers, and the emergence of another bidder could force Silver Lake to increase its offer.
The offer comes amid tense negotiations, with some shareholders seeking more money than is currently on the table, but whether an outside bidder can see value in the company when going up against CEO and founder Michael Dell remains to be seen, especially in an uncertain PC market.
"It’s very hard to put a value on a business that’s in structural decline," said Anand Srinivasan, an analyst at Bloomberg Industries. "How are you going to make money? Going private is all about how much value you can create."
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- 20 years of PC Pro: our greatest review mistakes
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Windows Easy Transfer – not so "easy" in Windows 8.1
- Formula 1: what a difference virtualisation makes
- Office of the future: comfy chairs and tablets everywhere
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office
- How to write your company's IT security policy