Nokia: Microsoft may make Surface phone
By Nicole Kobie
Posted on 11 Mar 2013 at 09:47
Nokia has said Microsoft could make a Surface phone - and admitted that the move could hurt its own Lumia line of smartphones.
A Surface phone would follow Microsoft's foray into the hardware market with the Surface RT and Surface Pro tablets, and compete with Nokia's Windows Phone 8 handsets.
The possibility was suggested by Nokia in an SEC filing, in a section where it lists potential business risks.
"Microsoft may make strategic decisions or changes that may be detrimental to us," the document said. "For example, in addition to the Surface tablet, Microsoft may broaden its strategy to sell other mobile devices under its own brand, including smartphones."
"This could lead Microsoft to focus more on its own devices and less on mobile devices of other manufacturers that operate on the Windows Phone platform, including Nokia," it added.
The document doesn't mean that Nokia knows Microsoft is making its own handsets, only that it believes it's a possibility. It also suggested Microsoft may stop developing Windows Phone 8.
"Microsoft may act independently of us with respect to decisions and communications on that operating system, which may have a negative effect on us," Nokia said. "Moreover, if Microsoft reduces investment in that operating system or discontinues it, our smartphone strategy would be directly, negatively affected by such acts."
An interesting experiment. can't help but think 15.6" screen would be more practical.
By JamesD29 on 11 Mar 2013
I think it's a little bit of a stretch to say that "It also suggested Microsoft may stop developing Windows Phone 8."
Nokia would be stupid not to consider what would happen if MS stopped developing Windows Phone.
But all indications at the moment are quite the opposite.
By Grunthos on 11 Mar 2013
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- Google Now draining iPhone battery
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't