Android app gives users sneak peek at Ubuntu phone OS
By Dave Stevenson
Posted on 14 Feb 2013 at 11:30
Owners of Android smartphones can get a sneak peak of Ubuntu for phones almost a year before the mobile operating system launches, courtesy of an app that appears to mimics some of the OS's behaviour.
Ubuntu Phone Experience, announced on Android developer forum XDA, mirrors the pull-out sidebar that the Ubuntu phone OS will use to launch apps, as demonstrated in January by Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth.
Find out more
The app isn’t a full-blown emulator. It doesn't offer, for example, Ubuntu's innovative lock screens, which will give users at-a-glance information such as unread messages and remaining battery life.
However, it’s as close as users will get until Ubuntu releases its smartphone version, although the open-source company is expected to make Ubuntu available for the Google Nexus before the launch of Ubuntu-branded phones at the end of this year.
The Ubuntu-mimicking app is available for download - at your own risk - from XDA.
- Michael Dell: Cloud infrastructure is the roads, bridges and highways of the 21st century
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- Apple Watch, iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Tim Cook's Apple back with a bang?
- BT Home Hub 5: how to get maximum speed
- 20 years of PC Pro: one-star reviews (including "the worst tablet we've ever seen")
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office