Android app gives users sneak peek at Ubuntu phone OS
By Dave Stevenson
Posted on 14 Feb 2013 at 11:30
Owners of Android smartphones can get a sneak peak of Ubuntu for phones almost a year before the mobile operating system launches, courtesy of an app that appears to mimics some of the OS's behaviour.
Ubuntu Phone Experience, announced on Android developer forum XDA, mirrors the pull-out sidebar that the Ubuntu phone OS will use to launch apps, as demonstrated in January by Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth.
Find out more
The app isn’t a full-blown emulator. It doesn't offer, for example, Ubuntu's innovative lock screens, which will give users at-a-glance information such as unread messages and remaining battery life.
However, it’s as close as users will get until Ubuntu releases its smartphone version, although the open-source company is expected to make Ubuntu available for the Google Nexus before the launch of Ubuntu-branded phones at the end of this year.
The Ubuntu-mimicking app is available for download - at your own risk - from XDA.
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- How to turn off Google Location Tracking
- 20 years of PC Pro: our greatest review mistakes
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office