Tablets to grab 20% of Google ad revenue in 2013
By Dave Stevenson
Posted on 13 Feb 2013 at 14:30
Tablets are starting to grab advertising from the web, making up as much as a fifth of Google's ad revenue in the US this year, according to Marin Software.
The online marketing firm also found click-through rates (CTR) higher on mobile devices than on desktop operating systems. British smartphones produced a CTR of nearly 6%, while tablets contributed another 4%. By comparison, desktops were a relatively poor performer for Google with a CTR of 2.3%.
Conversion rates - the number who buy something after clicking an advertisement - remain better on desktops, however.
In the UK, 4.1% of users who clicked on an ad went on to spend money, compared to 2.6% on tablets and just 1.6% on smartphones.
However, Marin’s report noted that "smartphone conversions may be happening via a phone call or in a physical store, leading to artificially depressed measurements".
There was particularly good news for Google’s British arm, which saw UK smartphones and tablets generating 24.4% of all paid clicks from Google’s adverts in 2012 - an increase of 65% versus 2011.
- Adobe Dreamweaver CC review: first look
- Huawei Ascend P6 review: first look
- Adobe Illustrator CC review: first look
- Let MPs tell us what they really want ISPs to block
- Adobe Photoshop CC review: first look
- WWDC 2013 and iOS 7 launch: live blog
- Sony VAIO Pro review: first look
- Want child porn blocked? Meet the IWF
- Is it worth upgrading a media centre to Windows 8?
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Facebook "click on the photo" scams: how they work
- Three alternatives to Word's spelling and grammar checker
- Google two-step verification: a must for business email
- Microsoft Office and the death of upgrades
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts