Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II push Samsung to record sales
By Nicole Kobie
Posted on 25 Jan 2013 at 10:41
Samsung has doubled its smartphone profit, but warned that the incredible growth will be "pacified" by rival products and price pressures.
Quarterly revenue is up 19% to 56.2 trillion won (£33 billion), while its profit is up 89% year-on-year to 8.8 trillion won (£5.2 billion).
The division that makes smartphones, such as the Galaxy S III posted quarterly revenue of 27.2 trillion won (£16 billion) and profit of 5.44 trillion won (£3.2 billion), up from 2.56 trillion won (£1.5 billion) a year earlier.
The success was mainly brought on by strong sales of Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II, which beat the popularity of their predecessors with record sales in record time
"Samsung led gains with its full line-up of entry- to mid-level smartphones, expanded sales of tablet PCs and an increase in average selling price (ASP) from the previous quarter," the company said.
"The success was mainly brought on by strong sales of Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II, which beat the popularity of their predecessors with record sales in record time."
However, Samsung warned the high-level growth may not continue next year. "The furious growth spurt seen in the global smartphone market last year is expected to be pacified by intensifying price competition compounded by a slew of new products," the company warned.
Samsung said smartphone demand would slow in developed countries in the first quarter, but increase in emerging markets, "with the introduction of more affordable smartphones and a bigger appetite for tablet PCs throughout the year".
No to fruit!
Samsung make some darn good products and they're not Apple - good enough for me!
By Minou on 25 Jan 2013
Forget the S III, Note II is the killer
Galaxy Note II is the killer phablet of all. It will satisfy all your needs from a phone, more than a tablet (because it has pen) and half of needs from a notebook (browsing, mailing, reading etc). After a few weeks of getting used to the size, then everything seems obsolete and small including iPhone 5. You can do these things with iPhone or other phones, however Note II satisfies all of these activities with size !!! So, I can confidently say that 'size matters' :)
By HopeLESS on 27 Jan 2013
S3 is awesome
So impressed with the S3, had the choice of iphone 5 or S3, cleary the S3 is the better option.
Android is a lot better than IOS.
Gonna try out Cyanogen mod 10.1 on it soon :)
By siddallj on 28 Jan 2013
To the posters above, yes, yes, Samsung great, Apple bad. We get it. Honest!
(the place looks like it has been taken over by Smasung marketing department)!
By rascar_capac on 28 Jan 2013
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- Google Now draining iPhone battery
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't