Instagram saw 10% growth after Ts&Cs debacle
By Nicole Kobie
Posted on 18 Jan 2013 at 11:20
Instagram has rebuffed claims it shed users after last month's terms and conditions controversy, saying the site has grown by 10%.
Last month, Instagram angered users by changing its terms, with many interpreting the new wording to mean the Facebook-owned photo service was planning on selling users' images. Faced with angry users, Instagram quickly rolled back the changes.
Weeks later, stats from AppData suggested the terms and conditions fiasco had led to as many as a quarter daily users abandoning the site, falling from 16.4m users a day before the change to 12.4m ten days later.
However, Instagram's data suggests that fall may have been an anomaly. The site said it now has 90m monthly users - while that doesn't compare directly to the AppData daily user figures, Instagram said it had posted 10% growth from December to January.
That suggests the terms debate didn't hurt the Facebook-owned photo service, and may even have been good publicity for Instagram - a point made by PC Pro editor Barry Collins at the time.
"Instagram continues to see very strong growth around the world,” Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom said to Wall Street Journal blog AllThingsD. "With many of the product and internationalisation improvements we've made, we've been excited to see these efforts resonate with users globally."
What was the trend before the announcement? Possibly greater than 10%. Presume most who took action after the announcement either deleted pictures or simply stopped posting new ones rather than deleting their accounts.
By Mark_Thompson on 18 Jan 2013
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- Google Now draining iPhone battery
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't
- Yes, I write down my passwords