Spotify suspends download purchases
By David Bayon
Posted on 4 Jan 2013 at 11:04
Spotify is no longer allowing users to purchase new music for download through its desktop client.
Spotify previously allowed users to buy download tokens, each of which could be used to download a track permanently onto a local PC.
According to the support page, users with valid Spotify gift cards can still use them to obtain their downloads, and previously purchased tracks are still accessible.
The change affects both Premium and free accounts, and it's not clear whether it's permanent, or if it affects users outside the UK.
UPDATE: Spotify has issued a statement on the matter:
"We recently updated Spotify to further simplify the service and pave the way for new features announced at the end of last year. In-app purchases aren't part of this update but we're not ruling out their return. Credits/gift cards already purchased are still redeemable."
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Windows Easy Transfer – not so "easy" in Windows 8.1
- Formula 1: what a difference virtualisation makes
- Office of the future: comfy chairs and tablets everywhere
- I went to Glastonbury and the only thing that got high was my smartphone
- Meet the robots helping teach children
- PaperLater: would you pay to print the internet?
- Amazon vs Kobo: how much to make the ebook switch?
- Phishing emails: how I nearly got caught out
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office
- How to write your company's IT security policy
- Raspberry Pi and Wolfram: a must-have for every child
- Could you get by with Office Web Apps?