Google accused of withholding antitrust evidence
By Stewart Mitchell
Posted on 22 Jun 2012 at 11:18
The Texas attorney general has accused Google of withholding documents in antitrust legal proceedings investigating whether the company treats other companies fairly in its search results.
In a court filing, Greg Abbott said he wanted access to more than 14,500 documents that had been officially requested by the legal team on the case, according to the Associated Press news agency.
Abbott said Google was withholding the documents, and sought a court order to force the company to hand over the emails and other communications that he felt would give more insight into the company’s workings.
Texas is one of six US states investigating whether Google manipulates its search results to stifle competition. The EU is mounting a similar investigation.
Google, however, said it was cooperating with the investigation and had already submitted a significant number of documents.
"We have shared hundreds of thousands of documents with the Texas Attorney General, and we are happy to answer any questions that regulators have about our business," Google said in a statement sent to the Associated Press.
- Adobe Dreamweaver CC review: first look
- Huawei Ascend P6 review: first look
- Adobe Illustrator CC review: first look
- Let MPs tell us what they really want ISPs to block
- Adobe Photoshop CC review: first look
- WWDC 2013 and iOS 7 launch: live blog
- Sony VAIO Pro review: first look
- Want child porn blocked? Meet the IWF
- Is it worth upgrading a media centre to Windows 8?
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Facebook "click on the photo" scams: how they work
- Three alternatives to Word's spelling and grammar checker
- Google two-step verification: a must for business email
- Microsoft Office and the death of upgrades
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts