Consumers ditch websites with poor privacy policies
By Stewart Mitchell
Posted on 18 Jan 2012 at 17:38
Websites need to rethink their privacy policies as consumers ditch those that hide data rules or leak information, according to research from Forrester.
The analyst found that a growing number of consumers were reading how companies dealt with their privacy and voting with their feet if they didn’t like what they saw.
The research questioned 37,000 North American consumers, finding that older web users were most likely to read and act on privacy policies.
Most marketers can’t afford to lose valuable customer segments, but they are at risk of doing so if they retain the privacy policies they’ve been leaning on
The increase in awareness was illustrated by the fact that the same question posed to over 55s in 2008 saw only 40% of people ditch a transaction because of privacy concerns.
Although the walk-away rate was lower among younger web users, Forrester said companies and websites should be aware that these customers were likely to change their attitudes.
“Most marketers can’t afford to lose valuable customer segments, but they are at risk of doing so if they retain the privacy policies they’ve been leaning on for the past several years,” Khatibloo said.
Likelihood linked to free time?
Considering most agreements are a few hundred lines long, I assume actually having (or at least believing you have) the time to thoroughly read them massively increases your odds of spotting something you find unacceptable.
By dubiou on 19 Jan 2012
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- Google Now draining iPhone battery
- The government website that doesn't work with IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Macs or smartphones
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't
- Yes, I write down my passwords
- How to make money from apps
- Hack your own radio transmitter