Samsung tablet banned in Australia
By Stewart Mitchell
Posted on 13 Oct 2011 at 10:48
Apple has won a victory in the Ferderal Court in Australia, with a judge issuing an injunction banning Samsung from selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 slate PC Down Under.
Apple was taking legal action against rival Samsung, claiming the company had “slavishly” copied the iPad, and Justice Annabelle Bennett agreed that Samsung had a case to answer relating to two allegedly infringed patents on touch screen controls.
It's part of a global battle between the two tech giants, with patent cases going through the courts in Asia, Europe and the US.
"From 15 April when proceedings commenced in the US, Samsung proceeded with its eyes wide open,” Bennett said, according to the Sydney Morning Herald. “The balance of convenience was almost even ... there were several factors that favoured Apple."
According to Bennett, she had to consider the potential harm to Apple, despite claims from Samsung that a delay would make it impossible to launch the tablet in Australia because it would miss the Christmas rush.
The case will now head to a full hearing, which is unlikely to be heard this side of Christmas, although the companies will have an opportunity to file for an early, preliminary hearing next month.
Samsung said it would continue to fight the case and hoped a counter claim would force Apple to drop the proceedings.
"Samsung will continue its legal proceeding against Apple's claim in order to ensure our innovative products remain available to consumers," Samsung said, according to the Herald.
"This is a part of our ongoing legal proceeding against Apple's claim. Samsung is also confident it can prove Apple's violation of Samsung's wireless technology patents."
We're still waiting for Apple to come back to us regarding whether it will be seeking an early hearing on the case.
this is getting old very fast. they should resolve it TV burp style. Now we like the Galaxy Tab and it's Android OS but we also like the iPad 2 and it's huge app store. Which is best? Only one way to find out...... Fiiiigggghhhhtttt!!!!! :)
By mr_chips on 13 Oct 2011
If these were my kids I'd bang their b!##dy heads together.
By Hamster on 13 Oct 2011
Sorry typo in my last post
... Should have read 'Make them sit on tbe naughty step'
By Hamster on 13 Oct 2011
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- Google Now draining iPhone battery
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't