Windows Mobile 7 to appear in February?
By Stuart Turton
Posted on 8 Jan 2010 at 16:41
Windows Mobile 7 could make its public debut at Mobile Word Congress in February, according to a Microsoft executive.
The mobile operating system was a surprise omission from Microsoft's CES roster, but it appears Microsoft was saving news of Windows Mobile 7 for Barcelona.
Responding to a question regarding the OS at its Financial Analyst Briefing, Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division president Robbie Bach claimed “things will be talked about at MWC.”
I’ve seen it and played with it. It will set the bar forward not in (just) an evolutionary way
He also talked up its chances of re-establishing Microsoft in an increasingly competitive market, saying “I’ve seen it and played with it. It will set the bar forward not in (just) an evolutionary way.”
The buzzwords continued to flow, with Bach reaffirming that Microsoft plans to be "more engaged" with OEMs in its "go to market approach." This has been a recurring theme around Microsoft's Windows Mobile 7 campaign, with the company repeatedly suggesting that it will take a firmer hand in the development of the hardware.
Windows Mobile 7 really can't come soon enough. Steve Ballmer admitted that the disappointing Windows Mobile 6.5 "wasn't the full release we wanted", and it continues to lose ground to the iPhone and Android.
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
Saying 6.5's a disapointment is an under statement. Although WinMo 7 cant come soon enough it needs to be perfect. I've got a feeling if Microsoft blow it they will be pushed out of the consumer smartphone business for good.
By JStairmand on 8 Jan 2010
Waiting, waiting, waiting
When I first got into mobile computing palm and psion were the top dogs. I only moved to windows after psion moved on.
Now, with my phone contract due to expire this year, unless windows mobile is a game changer, much as I don't want to, I'm moving to Apple.
No evoluntary step, no half baked system, as far as I am concerned Microsoft has only one shot to get it right.
By Ajamu1 on 8 Jan 2010
Remember vista sucked and win7 Is great so win mobile 6.5 sucks and win mobile 7 will rock
By sazihl on 8 Jan 2010
- iPhone 6 features, specs and UK release date: when does the iPhone 6 launch?
- iWatch UK release date, specs and price rumours: when is the iWatch coming to the UK?
- Piracy warning letters: four strikes and you're not out
- iPhone 6 sapphire display: is Apple cutting costs with composite materials?
- iPhone 6's Apple logo may light up for notifications
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Windows Easy Transfer – not so "easy" in Windows 8.1
- Formula 1: what a difference virtualisation makes
- Office of the future: comfy chairs and tablets everywhere
- I went to Glastonbury and the only thing that got high was my smartphone
- Meet the robots helping teach children
- PaperLater: would you pay to print the internet?
- Amazon vs Kobo: how much to make the ebook switch?
- Phishing emails: how I nearly got caught out
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office
- How to write your company's IT security policy
- Raspberry Pi and Wolfram: a must-have for every child
- Could you get by with Office Web Apps?