Windows Mobile 7 to appear in February?
By Stuart Turton
Posted on 8 Jan 2010 at 16:41
Windows Mobile 7 could make its public debut at Mobile Word Congress in February, according to a Microsoft executive.
The mobile operating system was a surprise omission from Microsoft's CES roster, but it appears Microsoft was saving news of Windows Mobile 7 for Barcelona.
Responding to a question regarding the OS at its Financial Analyst Briefing, Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division president Robbie Bach claimed “things will be talked about at MWC.”
I’ve seen it and played with it. It will set the bar forward not in (just) an evolutionary way
He also talked up its chances of re-establishing Microsoft in an increasingly competitive market, saying “I’ve seen it and played with it. It will set the bar forward not in (just) an evolutionary way.”
The buzzwords continued to flow, with Bach reaffirming that Microsoft plans to be "more engaged" with OEMs in its "go to market approach." This has been a recurring theme around Microsoft's Windows Mobile 7 campaign, with the company repeatedly suggesting that it will take a firmer hand in the development of the hardware.
Windows Mobile 7 really can't come soon enough. Steve Ballmer admitted that the disappointing Windows Mobile 6.5 "wasn't the full release we wanted", and it continues to lose ground to the iPhone and Android.
Saying 6.5's a disapointment is an under statement. Although WinMo 7 cant come soon enough it needs to be perfect. I've got a feeling if Microsoft blow it they will be pushed out of the consumer smartphone business for good.
By JStairmand on 8 Jan 2010
Waiting, waiting, waiting
When I first got into mobile computing palm and psion were the top dogs. I only moved to windows after psion moved on.
Now, with my phone contract due to expire this year, unless windows mobile is a game changer, much as I don't want to, I'm moving to Apple.
No evoluntary step, no half baked system, as far as I am concerned Microsoft has only one shot to get it right.
By Ajamu1 on 8 Jan 2010
Remember vista sucked and win7 Is great so win mobile 6.5 sucks and win mobile 7 will rock
By sazihl on 8 Jan 2010
- Tech City: Easy to score when you move the goalposts
- How to remove SkyDrive from the Windows 8.1 Explorer
- Switching from iPhone to Android? Switch off iMessage
- Why is Google pumping more money into Firefox?
- Sky Broadband Shield review
- Samsung Galaxy S4: how to double your battery life
- Motorola Moto G review: first look
- IBM Watson meets Willy Wonka
- Google’s support policies shove users towards Chrome
- Lenovo Yoga Tablet review: first look
- The importance of load balancing
- Windows Phone App Studio: an easy way to create your first Windows Phone 8 app
- The end of Windows XP support: what it really means for businesses
- Don't rely on Chrome's password vault
- Using Buffer to manage your social media
- Microsoft needs its own Steve Jobs
- Forget credit cards: hackers want your Facebook account
- Can't get fast enough broadband? Here's what to do
- Leap Motion and the battle against UI stagnation
- How to build a really bad network