Windows Mobile 7 to appear in February?
By Stuart Turton
Posted on 8 Jan 2010 at 16:41
Windows Mobile 7 could make its public debut at Mobile Word Congress in February, according to a Microsoft executive.
The mobile operating system was a surprise omission from Microsoft's CES roster, but it appears Microsoft was saving news of Windows Mobile 7 for Barcelona.
Responding to a question regarding the OS at its Financial Analyst Briefing, Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division president Robbie Bach claimed “things will be talked about at MWC.”
I’ve seen it and played with it. It will set the bar forward not in (just) an evolutionary way
He also talked up its chances of re-establishing Microsoft in an increasingly competitive market, saying “I’ve seen it and played with it. It will set the bar forward not in (just) an evolutionary way.”
The buzzwords continued to flow, with Bach reaffirming that Microsoft plans to be "more engaged" with OEMs in its "go to market approach." This has been a recurring theme around Microsoft's Windows Mobile 7 campaign, with the company repeatedly suggesting that it will take a firmer hand in the development of the hardware.
Windows Mobile 7 really can't come soon enough. Steve Ballmer admitted that the disappointing Windows Mobile 6.5 "wasn't the full release we wanted", and it continues to lose ground to the iPhone and Android.
Saying 6.5's a disapointment is an under statement. Although WinMo 7 cant come soon enough it needs to be perfect. I've got a feeling if Microsoft blow it they will be pushed out of the consumer smartphone business for good.
By JStairmand on 8 Jan 2010
Waiting, waiting, waiting
When I first got into mobile computing palm and psion were the top dogs. I only moved to windows after psion moved on.
Now, with my phone contract due to expire this year, unless windows mobile is a game changer, much as I don't want to, I'm moving to Apple.
No evoluntary step, no half baked system, as far as I am concerned Microsoft has only one shot to get it right.
By Ajamu1 on 8 Jan 2010
Remember vista sucked and win7 Is great so win mobile 6.5 sucks and win mobile 7 will rock
By sazihl on 8 Jan 2010
- How to get the Windows 10 Technical Preview, plus release date, features and latest news
- Why the Microsoft Band could be a game changer
- Windows 10 trackpad shortcuts: Microsoft takes a leaf out of Apple's book
- Internet tax: what it is and why it failed
- HP's vision for the future of PCs: the 3D Sprout
- Google Glass: mugger bait, pub problem and other lessons learned from two dangerous weeks
- Twitter, please don't fiddle with my feed
- How Satya Nadella can get some pay-raise karma
- Windows 10: a step back to go forward
- Michael Dell: Cloud infrastructure is the roads, bridges and highways of the 21st century
- How to check your identity hasn’t been sold to the hackers
- Tim Cook: this is how much TV has changed since the 70s
- Westminster wins the .London battle
- 20 years of PC Pro: from deep pan pizza to virtualisation
- Five reasons why the Apple Watch leaves me cold
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office