Ubuntu guru Shuttleworth stands down
By Barry Collins
Posted on 18 Dec 2009 at 09:42
Mark Shuttleworth is standing down as the CEO of Canonical, the company behind the popular Ubuntu Linux distro.
Shuttleworth has become the figurehead for Ubuntu and one of the most recognisable figures in the Linux camp.
However, he's giving up his day-to-day duties at the head of the company to focus on improving the Ubuntu OS. "I’ve become very passionate about design and quality, and want to spend more time figuring out how we harness the collaborative process to build better, more insightful products," Shuttleworth states on his personal blog.
I’ve become very passionate about design and quality, and want to spend more time figuring out how we harness the collaborative process to build better, more insightful products
Last year, Shuttleworth claimed he wanted Ubuntu developers to focus on making the operating system "more beautiful" than Mac OS X. He launched an outspoken attack on Linux developers earlier this year, claiming they should "shut the f*** up" when users were evaluating their software, and listen to how they could improve the user interface.
Shuttleworth will be replaced by Ubuntu's chief operating officer, Jane Silber. "I couldn’t think of a better person to take over my formal management and leadership responsibilities at Canonical than Jane," Shuttleworth writes.
"We’ve worked together long enough, and closely enough, that I can be confident of continuity in the pieces I most care about and also excited about the ways in which I think Jane will raise the bar for the senior team."
- Is it worth upgrading a media centre to Windows 8?
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't