Mozilla: Bing has better privacy than Google
By Stuart Turton
Posted on 11 Dec 2009 at 08:24
Mozilla's director of community development has encouraged Firefox users to switch to Bing, after Google's chief executive claimed that people worried about privacy probably have something to hide.
Asa Dotzler, a ten-year veteran of Mozilla, was responding to Eric Schmidt's comment that "If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place."
If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place
The remark was made as part of an interview with CNBC, which an infuriated Dotzler has posted on a blog entitled "He doesn't even understand." Beneath it he has noted:
"That was Eric Schmidt, the CEO of Google, telling you exactly what he thinks about your privacy. There is no ambiguity, no 'out of context'," he notes.
It's unclear how his stance will sit with the rest of his Mozilla colleagues. Recent financial records showed that 91% of the foundation's revenue came from a search deal with Google.
Google pays Mozilla to set the default homepage of Firefox to a customised Google search page, and place a Google search box in the browser's toolbar.
The deal is set to run until 2011.
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
Lets all make sure this becomes Google's "Ratner Moment"!
Also I really hope some enterprising journalists (if there are any left) notice that Schmidt has just declared open season on his own private life!
By JohnAHind on 11 Dec 2009
- CeBit 2014 diary: Cameron comes to town
- The 5 most interesting UK businesses at SXSW
- Quickest way to upload 1GB? Hop on a train
- Move over Delia: IBM Watson is cooking tonight
- Eric Schmidt on the double-edged smartphone: friend and foe
- Getty joins the race to the bottom
- Hour of Code: five steps to learn how to code
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet review: first look
- Sony Xperia Z2 review: first look
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 review: first look
- Headings vs headers: how to use both in Word
- Windows Server 2012 R2: how the Datacenter edition could change SMBs
- Invoices and VAT: how to set up your documents correctly
- Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 Active: the best phone for avoiding screen burn
- How much is a social user worth?
- The key to choosing a secure password
- Thunderbolt Bridge: a fast Mac migration tool
- Should you advertise on Twitter?
- How to track a lost smartphone
- Self-publishing success: the best way to sell your book