Office 2010 hitting public beta in November
By Stuart Turton
Posted on 19 Oct 2009 at 15:23
Microsoft has revealed that Office and SharePoint 2010 will hit public beta in November.
"The public beta will open November. We don't have a specific date, we'll be announcing that much closer to the launch, but we're on track to deliver [Office and Sharepoint 2010] in the first half of 2010," Steve Marsh, SharePoint's UK Product Manager told PC Pro.
Marsh refused to be pinned down on whether Microsoft would limit downloads of the public beta. "There's no details on whether that will be time-stamped, so people will have it for a month and then it'll be taken away.
"All I know is that we're on track to deliver in 2010, and there'll be a Release Candidate, which gives you an idea of the time scale we'll be looking at," said Marsh.
Limiting the number of downloads was a tactic the company tried with Windows 7, only to scrap the plan after server crashes prevented people from getting their hands on the OS.
The company has also recently revealed that it will be offering a free ad-supported version of Office 2010 that will ship with new PCs.
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- Hello Cortana, it's nice to meet you
- Windows 8.1 Update: an abject surrender
- The insane economics of Sky Now TV
- No such thing as a free app... so pay up if you want quality
- Time to outlaw crapware-laden installers
- Windows Phone 8.1 video: hands-on
- Office for iPad: key information
- Why every PC buyer owes Richard Durkin a debt of gratitude
- HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: 2014's big-hitters compared
- Windows XP end of life: key information
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office
- How to write your company's IT security policy
- Raspberry Pi and Wolfram: a must-have for every child
- Could you get by with Office Web Apps?
- The best Android antivirus apps for 2014
- Headings vs headers: how to use both in Word