I'm a Mac... and I'm also a PC
By Barry Collins
Posted on 6 Oct 2009 at 11:25
More than eight out of ten Mac owners also own a PC, according to a new piece of research.
The NPD survey found that 12% of US computer-owning households have a Mac. However, 85% of those also own a Windows PC, suggesting that the Mac/PC divide is nowhere near as clear cut as both Apple and Microsoft suggest.
Apple's "I'm a Mac" advertising campaign pokes fun at Windows PC owners, portraying them as middle-aged nerds compared to the suave, young Mac owner. Now it appears the company has been taking the rise out of the majority of its own customers.
Mac owners are also far more likely to have multiple computers in the house. Two thirds of Mac owners have three or more computers in the home, while only 29% of PC owners have two or more PCs.
"While Apple owners tend to own more computers and more electronics devices, there is also a high correlation among Apple owners and more affluent consumer households," explains Stephen Baker, NPD's vice president of industry analysis. "With a higher household income, though, it's not a surprise that those consumers are making more electronics purchases."
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
I had a Mac-mini
And flogged it. Apart from iPhone App development, it just didn't do anything better or faster than my PC.
While I liked the ease of application installation and removal, the user-interface was not always very friendly (contrary to hype) and the OS was very, very grey.
Imagine iTunes monotone colour scheme applied universally and you have OS/X.
By cheysuli on 6 Oct 2009
"Mac owners are also far more likely to have multiple computers in the house. Two thirds of Mac owners have three or more computers in the home, while only 29% of PC owners have two or more PCs."
Is that because they need one as a spare?
By stokegabriel on 6 Oct 2009
"More than eight out of ten Mac owners also own a PC".
Perhaps they're not as daft as I thought.
By Lacrobat on 6 Oct 2009
"More than eight out of ten Mac owners also own a PC"
It's 95% here in Central London that I know of.
By zeevro on 6 Oct 2009
How absurd. It's a computer. A tool. It's like saying "I've got a spanner *and* a pair of pliers!"
By bubbles16 on 7 Oct 2009
Except that they are incredibly similar tools. It's more like saying "I've got a Swiss Army Knife *and* a Leatherman!"
By Iaman on 7 Oct 2009
- Hour of Code: five steps to learn how to code
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet review: first look
- Sony Xperia Z2 review: first look
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 review: first look
- Nokia XL review: first look
- Samsung Galaxy S5 review: first look
- Nokia X review: first look
- Censorship by copyright: Myles Powers and abuse of DMCA takedowns
- Turn an old smartphone into an in-car entertainment system
- Apple's OSes set to surpass Windows
- Invoices and VAT: how to set up your documents correctly
- Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 Active: the best phone for avoiding screen burn
- How much is a social user worth?
- The key to choosing a secure password
- Thunderbolt Bridge: a fast Mac migration tool
- Should you advertise on Twitter?
- How to track a lost smartphone
- Self-publishing success: the best way to sell your book
- 1.6TB SSD: why would you need one?
- Tips for the best PowerPoint presentations