I'm a Mac... and I'm also a PC
By Barry Collins
Posted on 6 Oct 2009 at 11:25
More than eight out of ten Mac owners also own a PC, according to a new piece of research.
The NPD survey found that 12% of US computer-owning households have a Mac. However, 85% of those also own a Windows PC, suggesting that the Mac/PC divide is nowhere near as clear cut as both Apple and Microsoft suggest.
Apple's "I'm a Mac" advertising campaign pokes fun at Windows PC owners, portraying them as middle-aged nerds compared to the suave, young Mac owner. Now it appears the company has been taking the rise out of the majority of its own customers.
Mac owners are also far more likely to have multiple computers in the house. Two thirds of Mac owners have three or more computers in the home, while only 29% of PC owners have two or more PCs.
"While Apple owners tend to own more computers and more electronics devices, there is also a high correlation among Apple owners and more affluent consumer households," explains Stephen Baker, NPD's vice president of industry analysis. "With a higher household income, though, it's not a surprise that those consumers are making more electronics purchases."
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
I had a Mac-mini
And flogged it. Apart from iPhone App development, it just didn't do anything better or faster than my PC.
While I liked the ease of application installation and removal, the user-interface was not always very friendly (contrary to hype) and the OS was very, very grey.
Imagine iTunes monotone colour scheme applied universally and you have OS/X.
By cheysuli on 6 Oct 2009
"Mac owners are also far more likely to have multiple computers in the house. Two thirds of Mac owners have three or more computers in the home, while only 29% of PC owners have two or more PCs."
Is that because they need one as a spare?
By stokegabriel on 6 Oct 2009
"More than eight out of ten Mac owners also own a PC".
Perhaps they're not as daft as I thought.
By Lacrobat on 6 Oct 2009
"More than eight out of ten Mac owners also own a PC"
It's 95% here in Central London that I know of.
By zeevro on 6 Oct 2009
How absurd. It's a computer. A tool. It's like saying "I've got a spanner *and* a pair of pliers!"
By bubbles16 on 7 Oct 2009
Except that they are incredibly similar tools. It's more like saying "I've got a Swiss Army Knife *and* a Leatherman!"
By Iaman on 7 Oct 2009
- 20 years of PC Pro: our best covers
- Why we've closed the PC Pro forums
- How to turn off Google Location Tracking
- 20 years of PC Pro: our greatest review mistakes
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- How to sell more ebooks on Amazon
- 10 ways to make your business more secure
- Top five VoIP mistakes
- How to add in-app purchasing to an iPhone, Android or Windows app
- Remote-control ransomware: TeamViewer and software hardball
- Why laptops with serial ports matter to the Internet of Things
- Make your mobile battery last longer
- Small steps into handling Big Data
- Nexus 5: does it really run stock Android?
- How to get broadband to a garden office