Acer's Android netbook coming this summer
By Stuart Turton
Posted on 2 Jun 2009 at 08:54
Acer will launch its first netbook running Google's Android operating system during the third quarter of this year.
"The Android operating system offers incredibly fast wireless connection to the internet," Jim Wong, Acer's president of IT products told delegates of the Computex trade show. "For this reason, Acer has decided to develop Android netbooks for added convenience to our customers."
Wong says he believes that Android can spur even greater sales of netbooks - a device category which has so far managed to ride out the worst of the tech crunch.
He offered no details of the Android netbook, beyond claiming that researchers had been experimenting with the OS on several different devices since it was launched.
He also confirmed that the company was planning to release its first Android smartphone in the fourth quarter.
As part of this launch, Wong claims Acer is planning to join the Open Handset Alliance, which was formed to promote Android.
Asus has also been experimenting with Android-based laptops and was demonstrating an Eee PC at Computex running on Qualcomm's impressive Snapdragon platform.
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- Google Now draining iPhone battery
- The government website that doesn't work with IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Macs or smartphones
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't
- Yes, I write down my passwords
- How to make money from apps