What the banned iPhone advert should really look like
By Matthew Sparkes
Posted on 26 Nov 2008 at 13:23
Apple was forced to pull a television advert for the iPhone 3G today after the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) decided it exaggerated the speed of mobile browsing.
In the 30-second clip the iPhone is shown loading a webpage, finding its current location in Google Maps, opening a PDF from an email and finally taking a phone call.
The ASA concluded that the iPhone cannot do what was shown in the mere 29 seconds afforded in the advert, ruling that it was misleading. So we decided to replicate the clip to see how long the advert should really be. See the video below:
The video shows our iPhone 3G on the left, and the banned Apple advert in the top-right corner
The video was shot using a standard iPhone 3G over a Wi-Fi connection, using sites and files similar to those shown in the advert.
The results are quite clear; the advert shows the tasks taking just 29 seconds to complete, while our test showed that it actually takes almost five times as long, at two minutes and 21 seconds.
Top 5 stories on PC Pro
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- Kittens and six other web revelations from Tim Berners-Lee
- Why Apple can't be insanely great after Steve Jobs
- CeBit 2014 diary: Cameron comes to town
- The 5 most interesting UK businesses at SXSW
- Quickest way to upload 1GB? Hop on a train
- Move over Delia: IBM Watson is cooking tonight
- Eric Schmidt on the double-edged smartphone: friend and foe
- Getty joins the race to the bottom
- Hour of Code: five steps to learn how to code
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet review: first look
- Headings vs headers: how to use both in Word
- Windows Server 2012 R2: how the Datacenter edition could change SMBs
- Invoices and VAT: how to set up your documents correctly
- Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 Active: the best phone for avoiding screen burn
- How much is a social user worth?
- The key to choosing a secure password
- Thunderbolt Bridge: a fast Mac migration tool
- Should you advertise on Twitter?
- How to track a lost smartphone
- Self-publishing success: the best way to sell your book