Data centres at bursting point
By Matthew Sparkes
Posted on 24 Nov 2008 at 11:00
Data centres in the UK are close to breaking point, with the majority now running dangerously close to storage capacity, claims a new report.
Increased data retention legislation and higher computing requirements mean the majority of European data centres now run at 82% of their capacity, suggests a survey of a 1,000 chief information officers (CIOs) conducted on behalf of HP.
Such high demand for data storage, coupled with shrinking IT budgets, is causing many managers to turn to data centre consolidation as a short-term solution.
The importance of data centres to modern business is undeniable, proven by the fact that 60% of companies plan to invest in improving their storage infrastructure, even in the worsening economic climate. Currently the average number of data centres per company in Europe is 5.7, but this is expected to rise to 6.1 by 2011, claims the survey.
The increased budget for data centres may not be enough, though. Despite these efforts, almost three quarters of CIOs believe that upper management fail to appreciate the importance of data centres.
"Managed correctly, data centre transformation can reduce costs whilst enabling increased flexibility and efficiency," says Reinier van Hoeijen, director of Data Centre Transformation Services at HP. "It also has the potential to transform the entire business, adding competitive edge."
- Is it worth upgrading a media centre to Windows 8?
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't