Firefox 3.1 hits first beta
By Barry Collins
Posted on 15 Oct 2008 at 07:53
Mozilla has launched the first beta version of Firefox 3.1.
The fact that Mozilla isn't confident enough to turn on TraceMonkey by default suggests we'll see at least another beta before the release of Firefox 3.1 - as does Mozilla's developer notes. "This is an early beta, of course, so there will be issues," the notes read. "Please file bugs if you find sites that don't work or cause crashes or hangs. The more testing we get, the better it will be when we turn it on."
Another new addition to the first beta is the Geolocation feature that allows the browser to pinpoint your location. Just last week, Mozilla Labs released a Firefox extension called Geode that could track your location using local Wi-Fi signals.
The new feature goes a step further. "The Geolocation API in Firefox 3.1 exposes a single API to web developers, but can potentially be backed by a number of different location sources," the developer notes claim.
"Examples include the Skyhook service [used in Geode], which guesses your location based on nearby access points, a GPS device in your mobile computer or hand-setting a fixed location where your desktop lives."
Other previously announced enhancements included in the 3.1 beta include support for the CSS @font-face property that allows web developers to specify true-type fonts when the page is rendered. There's also support for the new HTML video and audio standards, which will "get video out of the plugin prison and let it interact with the rest of the content on pages," according to Mozilla.
Buy the new issue of PC Pro, on sale tomorrow, to read the complete guide to Google Chrome and find out how it compares to Firefox 3.
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- Google Now draining iPhone battery
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't
- Yes, I write down my passwords