Reading privacy policies "would take 20 hours a month"
By Barry Collins
Posted on 9 Oct 2008 at 08:52
With the average person visiting 119 different websites over the course of a month, it would take nearly 20 hours just to read their privacy policies alone.
The cumbersome length of privacy policies is often cited as the reason they're commonly ignored, and the researchers claim that has a knock-on effect for people's online security. "Internet users likely do not understand the risks to their privacy," the research claims.
They claim websites must do more to make privacy policies easier to read. "If the privacy community can find ways to reduce the time cost of reading policies, it may be easier to convince internet users to do so.
"For example, if we can help people move from needing to read policies word-for-word and only skim policies by providing useful headings, or if we can offer ways to hide all but relevant information and thus reduce the effective length of the policies, more people may be willing to read them," they conclude.
Top five stories on PC Pro:
Is your business a social business? For helpful info and tips visit our hub.
- CeBit 2014 diary: Cameron comes to town
- The 5 most interesting UK businesses at SXSW
- Quickest way to upload 1GB? Hop on a train
- Move over Delia: IBM Watson is cooking tonight
- Eric Schmidt on the double-edged smartphone: friend and foe
- Getty joins the race to the bottom
- Hour of Code: five steps to learn how to code
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet review: first look
- Sony Xperia Z2 review: first look
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 review: first look
- Headings vs headers: how to use both in Word
- Windows Server 2012 R2: how the Datacenter edition could change SMBs
- Invoices and VAT: how to set up your documents correctly
- Nexus 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 Active: the best phone for avoiding screen burn
- How much is a social user worth?
- The key to choosing a secure password
- Thunderbolt Bridge: a fast Mac migration tool
- Should you advertise on Twitter?
- How to track a lost smartphone
- Self-publishing success: the best way to sell your book