Microsoft up for sale on Ebay
Posted on 17 Dec 2007 at 13:57
A Portuguese company called Microsoft Lda plans to put its brand name and business up for sale on eBay.
The company will have a starting price of $1 million (£496,000) according to the company's chief executive, Ricardo Carvalho.
Microsoft Ltd. is the only company that can use the name Microsoft in Portugal. It registered its name in 1981 while Microsoft Corp, the world's largest software company, began operating in Portugal in 1990. US-based Microsoft is registered as MSFT in Portugal.
"MSFT has said it was interested in our brand name but needed more time to discuss the matter," Carvalho says. "We have held talks with it in the past and didn't want to wait for it anymore."
A spokesman for Microsoft in Portugal declined to comment on the situation.
- Hands on with the new Google Maps
- Nokia Lumia 925 review: first look
- Why I won't subscribe to Creative Cloud
- GoPro camera strapped to a remote-control helicopter: the ultimate boy's toy
- Acer Iconia A1 review: first look
- Acer Aspire P3 review: first look
- Acer Aspire R7 review: first look
- How we produce the PC Pro podcast
- Google Now draining iPhone battery
- The government website that doesn't work with IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Macs or smartphones
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts
- Turn your tablet into a Sky+ remote control
- How to measure the success of a new IT system
- Three years on: the state of the tablet market
- Windows 8: what works and what doesn't
- Yes, I write down my passwords
- How to make money from apps
- Hack your own radio transmitter