Apple developing touchscreen tablet?
By Stuart Turton
Posted on 6 Nov 2007 at 15:43
Rumours are circulating that Apple is working with Asus to develop a tablet PC.
According to reports on Cnet's Crave, an Asus engineer let slip that "Asus is helping Apple build a tablet PC," though the source curiously failed to provide any further details.
The story is lent credibility by the fact that Asus is responsible for manufacturing PowerBooks and MacBooks on behalf of Apple, which would make it a likely partner for any further ventures.
Windows-based tablet PCs have struggled to gain anything like mainstream acceptance, even though the tablet technology is now fully integrated into Windows Vista. However, Apple may be tempted to venture where Microsoft has failed following the success of the multi-touch screen on the iPod - an outcome we predicted back in September.
Sadly the reports fail to mention any specifications, though it's probable it will be built on Intel's Core architecture and run on a variant of Leopard.
If the story bears fruit it would mark an interesting turnaround for Apple and Steve Jobs in particular, who is reported to be highly-sceptical of the tablet PC concept.
- Adobe Dreamweaver CC review: first look
- Huawei Ascend P6 review: first look
- Adobe Illustrator CC review: first look
- Let MPs tell us what they really want ISPs to block
- Adobe Photoshop CC review: first look
- WWDC 2013 and iOS 7 launch: live blog
- Sony VAIO Pro review: first look
- Want child porn blocked? Meet the IWF
- Is it worth upgrading a media centre to Windows 8?
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Facebook "click on the photo" scams: how they work
- Three alternatives to Word's spelling and grammar checker
- Google two-step verification: a must for business email
- Microsoft Office and the death of upgrades
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts