Find out what's inside the August issue on sale now
In this month’s magazine you’ll find:
It's a battle of heavyweights this month as the world's best smartphones go head to head. We've picked 13 of the latest handsets, putting them through our tough tests.
Slash your smartphone bill
Do you flinch when your mobile bill arrives each month? We explain how to cut the cost of communicating.
Is Spotify still the king of online music? Our team rates the leading streaming, radio and cloud music services.
Wen coding becomes a crime
Looking for flaws in software can land you behind bars. Stewart Mitchell examines the confusing laws surrounding security research.
Sack your PA
You don't need a PA to keep on top of your work life. We reveal how to handle communications without paying for an assistant.
There are 39 new reviews in this month's magazine, including the Microsoft Surface Pro, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, and Intel Haswell.
24 top Microsoft PowerPoint tips
Making and delivering presentations needn't be a slog. Darien Graham-Smith shows you how to get the most from PowerPoint.
Organise your finances with budgeting software
Creating a personal budget isn't the arduous task you might think, and it can save you money from day one.
Perfect PC settings
We guide you through the settings and tweaks you need to get Windows working just the way you want.
Real World Computing
Steve Cassidy helps a motorbike-parts retailer get its network up to speed with a LAN switch.
Stuart Andrews reveals how to pursue a career in the industry that protects companies from attack.
Steve Cassidy outlines the factors you should consider when choosing a VoIP package for your business - whatever its size.
Advanced Windows and Mac
Jon Honeyball is excited at the prospect of Microsoft's climbdown over Windows 8, but is frustrated by slow upgrades on Office 365
Mobile and Wireless
Paul Ockenden untangles Ofcom's rules on signal-boosting product, and gives the two main contenders a thorough test
Kevin Partner reveals his tips for starting a successful e-publishing businsess and becomes frustrated with Adobe's online support
Security and Social Networking
Davey Winder names and shames two businesses with poor password-protection policies, and dismisses a couple of security flaws
Simon Jones makes light work of some serious aesthetic updates to an application, and sidesteps PowerPivot troubles thanks to Excel 2013
Web Apps & Design
Mark Newton despairs of lazy programmers who don't maintain their website's links, and looks into metered connections
Steve Cassidy discovers a confusing, irritating issue with the 127.0.0.1 network address, and explains a neat virtualisation trick
Adobe is pushing users to a subscription model: we reveal who will benefit from monthly payments and who will lose out by switching from standard licences. Plus, we examine the ongoing broadband advertising battle, hear from Intel's labs about Ultrabooks in business, and examine what mobile firms are doing with your data.
- What's on this week's PC Pro podcast?
- Apple TV adds HBO Go, Sky News and WatchESPN
- Surface RT tablets to feature Qualcomm processors
- BT CEO steps down to join government
- Nvidia to license graphics tech to smartphone makers
- Microsoft frees two million PCs from botnet
- Huawei considers Nokia buyout
- Child abuse showdown "hijacked by ignorant MPs"
- Government wheedles more funding for online child protection from ISPs
- AMD’s "Seattle" ARM chips set for 2014 release
- Adobe Dreamweaver CC review: first look
- Huawei Ascend P6 review: first look
- Adobe Illustrator CC review: first look
- Let MPs tell us what they really want ISPs to block
- Adobe Photoshop CC review: first look
- WWDC 2013 and iOS 7 launch: live blog
- Sony VAIO Pro review: first look
- Want child porn blocked? Meet the IWF
- Is it worth upgrading a media centre to Windows 8?
- Flickr redesign: is it enough to tempt photographers back?
- Facebook "click on the photo" scams: how they work
- Three alternatives to Word's spelling and grammar checker
- Google two-step verification: a must for business email
- Microsoft Office and the death of upgrades
- The ICO's shame-faced u-turn on cookies
- Start8 and ModernMix: making Windows 8 work on a desktop
- How to boost your mobile reception
- How to fix Facebook: Social Fixer
- Taking the stress out of WordPress updates
- Where to download free web fonts