Skip to navigation

PCPro-Computing in the Real World Printed from www.pcpro.co.uk

Register to receive our regular email newsletter at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/registration.

The newsletter contains links to our latest PC news, product reviews, features and how-to guides, plus special offers and competitions.

Tips, tricks and gaming gossip

Moderators: greemble, TimDanton, graham_epu, Bluespider, Barry_Collins, StuartTurton, timark_uk, PCPro Moderators

Whats important in a game?

Gameplay
65%
Graphics
12%
Storyline
22%

Total votes : 49

Whats more important in a game?

Postby littlefarny » Sat May 07, 2005 10:11 am

What is more important to you in a game? Is it cutting-edge graphics, storybased, or decent gameplay, or even a comprimise of them all?

-steve
littlefarny
http://www.randomlyaccessed.com :: http://www.webcrunchdeals.com
mailto: wastedhours@gmail.com
And I said, "Let me slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry martini" Haha.
Pure Hilarity
littlefarny

Postby maninimepo » Sat May 07, 2005 10:17 am

oh my god - never thought i would post here!

but i have voted story line - for me its the story line most of the way.

i love the final fantasy type games. not sure if they are even available on pc, but i still regularly play on final fantasy seven, which we can safely say doesnt have that good graphics!!!! LOL

but gameplay is also important, and i think the final fantasy series incorporates this.

bye!!
maninimepo

Postby brataccas » Sat May 07, 2005 10:25 am

u can get FF7 for PC :wink: I voted for gameplay cos lots of games i have proves that, u wll see in the future ppl voting "graphics" on tis poll cos that will be the dumb younger gamers who thinks gfx is better than everything just watch :D
brataccas

Postby maninimepo » Sat May 07, 2005 10:40 am

brataccas wrote:u can get FF7 for PC :wink: I voted for gameplay cos lots of games i have proves that, u wll see in the future ppl voting "graphics" on tis poll cos that will be the dumb younger gamers who thinks gfx is better than everything just watch :D

okay brat - couple of dumb questions coming up. a) it looks as though you voted story line not game play - wtf??

b) what is the difference between the two? not being a gamer i dont really know the lingo!! lol
maninimepo

Postby _Rogz_ » Sat May 07, 2005 12:10 pm

Think Doom1 lots of gameplay - Leggit about cracking monsters with your shotgun whilst collecting keys.

Storyline Hell takes over Mars.

Storyline was not much of a factor in Doom1 :)
(should have kept it that way instead of proving that they didnt have a story to tell :cry: )

I think a really good game needs all three - like HL1 did.
HL2 was great graphics - great gameplay - not so great story. And as many people insist on telling me it showed. You don't notice until you play Half-Life:source (or just HL again) how skillfully the storyline and the gameplay are woven together.

I think you can get away with just a great story or great gamplay, though.
Some Guy.
_Rogz_

Postby xtreme126 » Sat May 07, 2005 2:33 pm

i can give you 4 examples of games which gave the greatest storylines ever told in any game, the kotor series and the dues ex series, these games storyline were pure genius, and the fact that you could alter the storyline throguh conversation and speech was even better, these games set a benchmark for action rpg's
xtreme126

Postby littlefarny » Sat May 07, 2005 2:55 pm

from what i heard of deus ex, the stoyline and conversation driven gameplay was some of the best scripting ever
littlefarny
And I said, "Let me slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry martini" Haha.
Pure Hilarity
littlefarny

Postby xtreme126 » Sat May 07, 2005 5:02 pm

deus ex is one of my favourite, most people dont appriciate the scripting, jsut the action, but the storylien and speeches are the best ever. no one of the best, theabsoloute best, and the second game, deus ex 2 is no exception in my opinion, the scripting in that is still brilliant.

the best parts of deus ex, ois when you talk to peopel and threaten to kill them :D

also like to say, if you don't have deus ex, stop what you are doing..drop it, go out and buy it
xtreme126

Postby littlefarny » Sat May 07, 2005 6:11 pm

yeh
what game do you think combines these traits the best?
littlefarny
Pure Hilarity
littlefarny

Postby Kunsak » Sat May 07, 2005 6:38 pm

i vote gameplay, because all games arent real so the story doesnt matter to me, also graphic's are important buts whats the point of good graphic's if you cant play the game properly.
Sorry, im immature
Kunsak

Postby brataccas » Sat May 07, 2005 10:38 pm

maninimepo wrote:
brataccas wrote:u can get FF7 for PC :wink: I voted for gameplay cos lots of games i have proves that, u wll see in the future ppl voting "graphics" on tis poll cos that will be the dumb younger gamers who thinks gfx is better than everything just watch :D

okay brat - couple of dumb questions coming up. a) it looks as though you voted story line not game play - wtf??

b) what is the difference between the two? not being a gamer i dont really know the lingo!! lol

i voted for gameplay :?
brataccas

Postby Anonymous » Mon May 09, 2005 1:19 pm

Its difficult because with 1 of these absent then the game could become unlikeable..

Storeyline is very important, anyone who played KOTOR woudl vouch that the storeyline in that is brilliant.

Game play and grpahics are self explanitory but just as important.
Anonymous

Postby a_byrne22 » Fri May 13, 2005 10:34 am

Super Mario had basically no storyline when first relased, but the game play was exceptional!

And because of this exceptional gameplay, people just wanted to play it and play it, game play is defo number 1.
When I sign my signature, it only appears on my monitor screen?
a_byrne22

Postby Anonymous » Fri May 13, 2005 10:52 am

I think graphics is too narrow a category. If you were to say that graphics is more the technical aspects of the game; i.e how it looks, the interface, the bugs or lack thereof, how well the physics is implemented, the sound, the coding and performance etc etc then I'd say it's hugely important.

Would I play a game just because it looked awesome? Hell yes.

Storyline is luxury in my opinion. If a game looks awesome and is fun to play then it's going to be a world beater. Look at Counterstrike, by some margin the most popular first person shooter in the world and it has no story whatsoever. Half Life 2 also got away with no story, well not one that was any good, basically all the story did was place you in situations where you'd get to monkey around with the cool features of the game.

I think Doom 3 and Battlefield Vietnam proved you can make a very successful game without the need for much gameplay, so I can understand why developers don't feel pressured to add much of it. :(
Anonymous

Postby Cyberfoxbatpl » Fri May 13, 2005 11:07 am

I have to agree with Rogz about HL - the original is still my game of all time - HL2 can't even come close. IMO its sad that the "underground" part of HL2 was ditched as the game just doesn't have the atmosphere of the original - in fact it lacks in atmosphere and suggested plot (things you see happening and not things that are told to you). Throwing away the eye candy - HL beats HL any day.
/WHAT ABOUT GIBS? DAMN YOU VALVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Continuing my little rant about sequels - Homeworld VS Homeworld 2 - again the sequel is just sooooo much worse. Not wanting to get into detail - the Karrak system mission where you have to save the colonist trays - in the original I played that till I sucessfuly saved all six - only to find a bug (the game designers didn't think you could save all 6). As for 2 - I let millions die on Higara and didn't even care..... I played homeworld countless times - also with the Babylon 5 and Macross mods, I only played HW2 once.

BF1942 has no storyline at all - but that doesn't stop it being the game I played the most.

P.S. In HL2 when Alyx thanks me for doing so much to save her father and her - she says that I don't owe them anything..... oh yes I do - I killed her father about 1000000 times in Black Mesa (anyone remember the SKC mod and maps)............
Cyberfoxbatpl

Next

Return to Computer Games