Skip to navigation

PCPro-Computing in the Real World Printed from www.pcpro.co.uk

Register to receive our regular email newsletter at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/registration.

The newsletter contains links to our latest PC news, product reviews, features and how-to guides, plus special offers and competitions.

Got a comment or problem regarding the cover disc?

Moderators: greemble, TimDanton, Josefov, graham_epu, Bluespider, Barry_Collins, StuartTurton, timark_uk, Luke_EPU, Cecil_EPU, Alan_EPU, PCPro Moderators

NEW DOWNLOAD SERVICE

Postby pmcvw1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:06 pm

I have been receiving the DVD version of PC pro by direct debit standing order since the beginning. This morning I received the latest (August 2013) copy of PCPro. The reverse of the address sheet and the editors page advise that DVDs will no longer be provided and will be replaced by a new download service. It gives clear instructions about entering e-mail address and a unique coupon code ("....found inside this issue."). No problems with this proposed new system APART FROM - no matter how many times I search this issue and all it's various inserts I can find absolutely no unique coupon number anywhere!
Has anyone found out where it is hidden please?

Patrick
pmcvw1

Re: NEW DOWNLOAD SERVICE

Postby philh001 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:47 pm

I also received the August 2013 copy of PC Pro today. There was a page bound into the magazine between pages 74 and 75 giving download instructions, and a coupon code.

Unfortunately, the insert was for Computer Shopper magazine issue 306 :oops:

However, if you request the link for PC Pro issue number 226, you get an apology, and you can then enter the Shopper coupon code, and get through to the PC Pro download page.

Phil
philh001

Postby pmcvw1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi Phil,
Many thanks for your tip. Needless to say, although I searched both the PCPro and Subsinfo websites, where there was no information to be found, it never occurred to me to try the link for the download because I had not found the unique code! However, I had seen the Computer Shopper code and jumped to the conclusion that it was not the one I needed. After reading your reply I went straight to it and it worked just as you stated.
Many thanks for your prompt reply. Much appreciated.
Patrick
pmcvw1

Postby nickrh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:35 am

Its enough to turn people into technophobes when PC Pro withdraws an existing, functional service with no warning and replaces it with something useless. Its IT, change something and something else may well need checking to ensure that it all works together, or is that a new concept for PC Pro? Its similar to some of the criticisms made in the magazine about software vendors when reviewing their products regarding incompatibility etc. Biters bitten back?

I know the publishers, printers etc are all part of the production process, but doesn't anybody at PC Pro have the responsibility for ensuring that the unique code is actually for PC Pro. Proof reading, as in old style technologies like printing - does it exist in the production process? Will any heads roll?

Maybe its a promotional idea from Dennis to get us subscribing to two magazines so as we get the codes for both magazines promotions?!
nickrh

Postby pentlands » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Like pmcvw1 i couldn't find the "unique coupon code", despite flicking through every page... not helped by the 'message from the editor' on page 5 suggesting there was an "insert"... since when was a bound page considered an insert? :?

Thanks to the post by philh001 i was eventually able to find the info.

Whilst i understand the need for the publisher to cut costs in the face of online competition, perhaps whoever was previously responsible for proof reading PC Pro should be re-hired (i assume no-one does that anymore!?) as this is not a good start to a change of (what i consider) one of PC Pro's unique selling points.
pentlands

Postby JRW_HOME » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:33 pm

It took 7 hours to download just the product software on my broadband connection! God knows how long it would take to download the entire DVD.

I know that my download speed is slow, but that is why I subscribed to the DVD edition of the magazine - so that I didn't have to download the software. This completely defeats the point of my subscription, and so I think a full refund is in order....
JRW_HOME

Postby omegamale » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Well at least you found your code. I can't find mine anywhere!
omegamale

Postby Kayartee » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:15 am

As others have said, I found the coupon code on the insert between pages 074 and 075. I'd thought it was just an advert so overlooked it. But I logged in by entering my email address and it sent an email with the coupon code, so obviously someone at PC Pro realised that they needed to be more helpful. One upside is that I looked on this forum for the first time in years!

Personally, I will find the download more convenient than the DVD.
Kayartee

Postby Cerberus_64 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:33 pm

I've been through the magazine twice, not found anything between the page numbers mentioned either. I'm not a subscriber, and one of the reasons I buy the magazine is for the coverdisc. It's a bit much buying the magazine, only to find that not only is there no disc, they've cocked up the method for people to download the software too!
Cerberus_64

Postby hhfan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Well have to say I preferred a DVD, far easier than downloading.
The download code provided in my mag didn't work.
I received a message saying it had already been used.
In this day and age of smartphones it is far to easy for someone to snap a photo of the code thus the genuine magazine buyer has a code that someone has already used. This new method is far from secure. At least before one didn't pick up the issue if the disc was missing, now it is total potluck.

BRING BACK THE DVD PLEASE!
HAPPY TO PAY A PREMIUM RATHER THAN HAVE A DOWNLOAD EDITION.
hhfan

Postby Cerberus_64 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:19 pm

No official response yet then... I would like to know if this is going to be rectified, or whether the shop-buyer isn't entitled to a download link or correct coupon code for this and future issues. I'm not the type who stands and fingers through magazines in store before putting them down again.
Cerberus_64

Postby Cerberus_64 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:49 pm

I spotted this 'bonus software' page sticking out of PC Pro 226 like a sore thumb, while in my local WH Smiths. It is not bound in, merely held on with a small piece of gum. and out of the eight or so magazines left, there was only one with it. Perhaps they could make it like they did Computer Shopper with the coupon code on the software page itself. Better than have a stuck out loose page that anyone could lift.
Cerberus_64

Postby sagart » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Bought my copy yesterday but no insert in it.
Went back today to my local newsagent and out of 6 copies only one had the insert and I don't intend to waste money on a second copy.
My newsagent is a small shop on Skye, hardly a Smiths with light fingered browsers,
Seems far more sensible if download information appears on a real printed page.
sagart

Postby Burn_IT » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:18 am

I get Computer Shopper now rather than PC Pro as I tend to help more private people/home users now I've retired.

The page in CS is not an insert, in fact it is a Glossy advert like page.
Having said that there is still a problem with the coupon code in that it is printed as upper case and the server is a Unix box and will only accept it in lower case. I haven't tried copying and pasting the contents of the email yet.

They have allowed access to both the PC Pro download page AND the CS one for this issue. The registration is different as well in that I think the CS one remembers your email address and uses that on later accesses and doesn't send you an email or require the code again, but I've yet to try it.
Dave

I cannot remember the last time I forgot something. ;)
Burn_IT

Postby ana551 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 pm

why my code is so late? everyone is getting but i cant
ana551

Next

Return to Cover Disc Forum