Skip to navigation

PCPro-Computing in the Real World Printed from www.pcpro.co.uk

Register to receive our regular email newsletter at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/registration.

The newsletter contains links to our latest PC news, product reviews, features and how-to guides, plus special offers and competitions.

Got a comment or problem regarding the cover disc?

Moderators: greemble, TimDanton, Josefov, graham_epu, Bluespider, Barry_Collins, StuartTurton, timark_uk, Luke_EPU, Cecil_EPU, Alan_EPU, PCPro Moderators

PC Pro Issue 158 DVD Cover Disk

Postby goballistic » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:04 pm

Hello

My shop bought PC Pro Issue 158 DVD Cover Disk is physically damaged.
Looks like it was pinched between two rollers when it was inserted into the "protective" sleave inside the mag.

Using ISO Buster I have been able to extract Macrium Reflect 2.1 but I am unable to open anything in the root of the DVD. As a result I don't know the registration details for Macrium Reflect 2.1.

Could you please post the registration details or email them to me please?
goballistic

Postby lurch42 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:46 pm

Hi

The instructions in the PC Pro helper-application (PCPRO.EXE) make no mention of a licence key. When you click install, a pop-up appears which states
  1. Click the button below to install the software. Restart Windows when prompted
  2. Launch the software, ensuring that you are first connected to the internet, and a dialog box will appear. Click the 'Get License' button and your browser will automatically direct you to the software registration page. Complete the required personal details and your licence key will be emailed to you
  3. Return to the software and enter your kicence key in the field provided. Click the OK button to confirm

Of course you might get the situation I just encountered with a similar procedure when trying to register Incomedia Website X5 Smart (see my post a few mins ago on subject), but that's a different problem. Hopefully you won't :)

Rgds

PS/EDIT There is a list of registration addresses on the DVD for products whose install procedure doesn't do it automatically, but Reflect isn't one of them (which matches the instructions given, so probably correct)
lurch42

Postby goballistic » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:19 pm

Thank you, I will give that a try.
goballistic

cover disc

Postby nduckett » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:42 am

The February cover disc appears to be faulty. It just freezes up in the drive. How can I get a replacement?
nduckett

cover disc

Postby nduckett » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:44 am

The February cover disc is faulty. It freezes up my drive when I load it in. How do I get a replacement?
nduckett

Postby Cecil_EPU » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi

Please try the disc in another drive on another PC. If the problem doesn't surface on the alternate drive, then you should try updating the firmware on the drive (see first post in this thread) and also disable any software that may interact with the drive (such as DirectCD, Drag-To-Disc, Nero InCD, Sonic DLA, etc.), see last post on first page of thread for more details.
Cecil_EPU

This is not a valid win32 application

Postby grandad78 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:37 pm

Hi! Folks,
I am inclined to agree with the comment that this is due to one of Microsoft's updates as I have also encountered this problem with a copy of Serif's latest version of their Page Plus program and thought it was just that disc until I tried to load the DrawPlus 8 from the October copy of Computer Buyer.
Perhaps the Magazines experts could check this out with Microsoft for us?

Since posting this I have discovered that by copying all the individual files to a blank disk they can all be read with no trouble which would seem to indicate that something has changed in relation to the way the discs are produced. Perhaps someone responsible for this would be kind enough to comment?
grandad78

serial number

Postby panther1960 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:17 pm

i need a seriel number for the encyclopedia britannica 2008.
i cant install the program without it can you help please.

p
panther1960

Postby Cecil_EPU » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:48 am

Hi.

You can register for a serial number by visiting the registration website

http://www.computershopper.co.uk/yoursoftware

Full instructions can be found on the Computer Shopper interface, which normally automatically runs when you place the disc in your drive. If the interface doesn't automatically run, click the Start button and choose the Run option (or press the key combination WIN+R) and type:

d:\shopper.exe

(where d: is the letter of your CD/DVD-ROM drive). Navigate to the appropriate section and click the appropriate entry. Click the Install button for a step-by-step guide to registering and installing the software.
Cecil_EPU

Postby jrrussell » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi

I too have had the same problem with the 'not a valid Win32 application' but I installed the Macromedia Shockwave player which you can get at http://www.adobe.com and this has solved the problem for me!

James
jrrussell

New Subscriber: PCPRO.EXE Application Crash

Postby cjy42 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Just received the first copy of my DVD subscription and was very disappointed to find the DVD launcher crashes. Any suggestion on how to resolve the symptoms below please?

IE: 8.0.6001.18828

Initial error:
Handler not found in object
#setStyle
Script Error. Continue?

If I click on Yes I get the Disclaimer screen, and after clicking on Continue get:

Macromedia Projector has stopped working
Problem signature:
Appln Event Name: APPCRASH
Appln Name : pcpro.exe
Appln Version: 10.0.0.188
Appln Timestamp: 401f0b37
Fault module name: DIRAPI.dll
More info on request.
cjy42

Postby Cecil_EPU » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:13 am

Hi

Have you tried to update your firmware of your optical drive? What happens when you try the disc on another PC? Have you tried closing down any programs that could interfere with the disc-reading operation (including packet-writing software and real-scan antivirus applications)?

There are some suggestions as to what you could do on the first page of this thread.
Cecil_EPU

Cover Disc August 2010 Issue190

Postby phydmt » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Cannot even start to read the "floppy" EcoDisc DVD ROM cover disc as it will not even load. Not one of 4 drives have been able to read it. My disc drives have up to date software as confirmed by Driver Agent. If this is the new style DVD cover disc I'll give up having been a subscriber for a number of years. I have not had any previous problems with cover disc except for one several years ago
phydmt

Postby Cecil_EPU » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:33 am

Hi

Sorry to hear that the EcoDisc is not working with your optical drives. Please try and obtain a replacement disc by e-mailing the e-mail address listed in this post.
Cecil_EPU

ECoCoverdisc

Postby phydmt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:34 pm

Eventually received replacement cover disc. Tried it in my oldest dvd drive and it read OK after a bit of a struggle! Just tried it a second time in the same dvd drive and loaded much more quickly - so at least for the moment problem solved. :)
phydmt

PreviousNext

Return to Cover Disc Forum