Skip to navigation

PCPro-Computing in the Real World Printed from www.pcpro.co.uk

Register to receive our regular email newsletter at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/registration.

The newsletter contains links to our latest PC news, product reviews, features and how-to guides, plus special offers and competitions.

Got a comment or problem regarding the cover disc?

Moderators: greemble, TimDanton, Josefov, graham_epu, Bluespider, Barry_Collins, StuartTurton, timark_uk, Luke_EPU, Cecil_EPU, Alan_EPU, PCPro Moderators

Please read if you encounter an error when using our disc

Postby Alan_EPU » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:56 am

Important information
We urge you to make a backup of your data before performing the below operation. Dennis Publishing Ltd cannot accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system which may occur as a result of updating your optical drive's firmware.

A few readers have reported receiving one of the following messages when they insert our disc or manually start the disc browser.

"Not a valid Win32 application"

"Macromedia Projector has encountered a problem"

We have been able to reproduce these errors on three PCs, each with an AOpen optical drive. All three drives were the same model number. We were able to resolve the problem by updating the firmware to the latest available.

Readers may find that they receive the errors on drives from other manufacturers, although we were not able to reproduce the problem on a limited number of other manufacturers' drives.

How to resolve the problem

If you are encountering this problem, please try updating your optical drive's firmware, restart your PC and then try launching our disc browser again.

When updating the firmware, carefully follow the instructions supplied by your PC or optical drive's manufacturer to ensure that you do not damage your PC. We urge you to make a backup of your data before performing this operation. Dennis Publishing Ltd cannot accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system which may occur as a result of updating your optical drive's firmware.

If your PC is still under warranty, please contact the manufacturer's support desk for further instructions on updating your optical drive's firmware.

If your optical drive was purchased separately and is still under warranty, please refer to the drive manufacturer's website for instructions on downloading and updating the drive's firmware. Pay very close attention to instructions given by the manufacturer so that you do not invalidate your warranty.

For any other circumstances you will need to refer to the drive manufacturer's website for instructions on downloading and updating the drive's firmware. If you are unsure of the exact make and model of your optical drive, please refer back to the documentation that came with your PC or optical drive as it may be listed there.
Alan_EPU

Postby Andythebatch » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:50 pm

I have updated the firmware on my Lite-On SHW 16H5S to no effect, I am still getting the "Not a valid Win32 application" result. If I go into the DVD via explorer and try to access the programmes from there I recieve the message "Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed".

However if I swap over to Windows Vista Beta and put the disk in the same drive, everything works perfectly. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be?

Cheers

Andy The Batch
Andythebatch

Can't load the front end of PCPro's dvd

Postby Tony_Maund6 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:00 pm

Ok I am getting the following message which relates to the last 3 or 4 PCPRO DVDs (including January's edition) I have loaded to my dvd drive.

F:\ (DVD Drive)PCPro.exe is not a valid win32 application.

I have a Samsung TS-352A DVD multiplayer drive which up unitil around 4 months ago was happy to play all my pcpro dvds. Samsung does not provide firmware upgrade facilities via its' live update site (or for that matter any other of its download sites for this particular device and I believ that it is not an optical drive.

The change in the PCPRO production process since issue 143 has had a material effect on my ability to load and view the front end display. This is inconvenient.

Any suggestions?
Tony_Maund6

Cannot open cover disc

Postby VicBrown » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:49 pm

Have updated firmware on my Liteon 1635S, but still get 'not a valid Win32 application' Help please!!!
VicBrown

Re: Cannot open cover disc

Postby Silverfox16 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:29 pm

VicBrown wrote:Have updated firmware on my Liteon 1635S, but still get 'not a valid Win32 application' Help please!!!

Hi.
I had this problem when trying to install a game DVD Disk. Error Message, "Not a valid Win32 application"
Try this below, Note this remedy came from a computer expert. (Not me)

I did download the firmware for my optical drive and this failed to solve the problem, then I remembered this and this did work, it enabled the DVD to run when put in the optical drive. (WARNING I had Norton anti Virus running and the instructions below disable, Anti virus and Zone alarm. So if you have Norton System works it will ask you to re-register.

Follow the below instructions carefully, in order to modify your computer in order to adequately ensure that it is configured correctly for the installation of new programs. Note that the below assumes you are logged into Windows with an administrator level account. 1 would highly suggest printing out these set of instructions, as they will be much easier to implement if the instructions are handy. The below instructions require rebooting a few times, so having a paper copy of the instructions will make things much simpler.

Restart Your Computer by Using a Clean Boot Procedure:

When you start Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run

In the background that may interfere with the installation of the Disk. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps when you are using Windows XP.

Note: You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but may result in the return of the original error message or behaviour.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Start-up.
4. Under Selective Start-up, click to clear the following check boxes:
Process SYSTEM.INI File
Process WIN.INI File
Load Start-up Items

5. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
6. Click OK, and then click Restart. Your computer will now reboot and restart cleanly booted.

(Note: Clean booting entails preventing ALL non essential programs/services from booting with Windows. To be clear, ALL means ALL, and NOT "All except for my anti virus, firewall, instant messaging, and cd emulation programs", which many people seem to interpret it to mean. When clean booting, do NOT make any exceptions for any program. The purpose of clean booting is to ensure that these exact type of programs are not running. Making exceptions for these types of programs defeats the entire point of the clean boot.)

Note: under On the General tab, click normal start-up to start up your computer normally.

I don’t except any liability if this upsets your computer. (it worked fine on mine)

Silver Fox
Last edited by Silverfox16 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverfox16

"Not a valid Win32 application"

Postby Silverfox16 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi.
I had this problem when trying to install a game DVD Disk. Error Message, "Not a valid Win32 application"
Try this below, Note this remedy came from a computer expert. (Not Me)

I did download the firmware for my optical drive and this failed to solve the problem, then I remembered this and this did work, it enabled the DVD to run when put in the optical drive. (WARNING I had Norton anti Virus running and the instructions below disable, Anti virus and Zone alarm. So if you have Norton System works it will ask you to re-register.

Follow the below instructions carefully, in order to modify your computer in order to adequately ensure that it is configured correctly for the installation of new programs. Note that the below assumes you are logged into Windows with an administrator level account. 1 would highly suggest printing out these set of instructions, as they will be much easier to implement if the instructions are handy. The below instructions require rebooting a few times, so having a paper copy of the instructions will make things much simpler.

Restart Your Computer by Using a Clean Boot Procedure:

When you start Windows, typically there are a number of programs that start automatically and run

In the background that may interfere with the installation of the Disk. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean boot, you prevent these programs from starting automatically. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps when you are using Windows XP.

Note: You may experience a temporary loss of some services functionality when you follow these steps. Restoring the settings restores the functionality, but may result in the return of the original error message or behaviour.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type msconfig, and then click OK.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Start-up.
4. Under Selective Start-up, click to clear the following check boxes:
Process SYSTEM.INI File
Process WIN.INI File
Load Start-up Items

5. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
6. Click OK, and then click Restart. Your computer will now reboot and restart cleanly booted.

(Note: Clean booting entails preventing ALL non essential programs/services from booting with Windows. To be clear, ALL means ALL, and NOT "All except for my anti virus, firewall, instant messaging, and cd emulation programs", which many people seem to interpret it to mean. When clean booting, do NOT make any exceptions for any program. The purpose of clean booting is to ensure that these exact type of programs are not running. Making exceptions for these types of programs defeats the entire point of the clean boot.)

Note: under On the General tab, click normal start-up to start up your computer normally.

I don’t except any liability if this upsets your computer. (it worked fine on mine)

Silver Fox. :)
Silverfox16

Re: Cannot open cover disc

Postby Silverfox16 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:41 pm

VicBrown wrote:Have updated firmware on my Liteon 1635S, but still get 'not a valid Win32 application' Help please!!!

VicBrown.
I have listed a solution on this site. Re. "Not a valid Win32 application"

see if it will help, I have the same optical drive as you.

Silver-Fox :)
Silverfox16

PCPro cover disc problems

Postby Tony_Maund6 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:29 am

Silverfox16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:41 pm Post subject: Re: Cannot open cover disc
VicBrown wrote:
Have updated firmware on my Liteon 1635S, but still get 'not a valid Win32 application' Help please!!!

VicBrown.
I have listed a solution on this site. Re. "Not a valid Win32 application"

see if it will help, I have the same optical drive as you.

Silver-Fox Smile

Hi Guys!

I have read this with interest and whilst it is not directed at me I can see how this solution would likely solve my problem as well. From a finger pointing perspective it does look as though the heart of the problem lies with the trusty old microsoft update again! but I am hesitant to try this as it may be a bit like taking an antidote for a hangover that neutralises all your resistance to the MRSA bug

It seems sensible to suggest to those at PCPro that the solution lies with them rather than go to the lengths you have outlined to get at a DVD which should not be doing what it is. That would seem to carry a better chance of success rather than campaigning Microsoft themselves and waiting (a) for them even to acknowledge that they have dropped a clanger and (b) doing something about it.

On the other hand as I only receive PCPro I don't know whether this is a common problem to other subscription mag dvds of recent occurrence. Of course the distasteful but ultimate solution is to cancel ones subscription or stop buying the mag until someone deals with the issue at hand. I am starting to think that for me it may end up as the only practicable solution to this increasingly annoying inconvenience. After all there other things I need to get on with.

Regards
Tony
Tony_Maund6

Cover DVDs will not run-Not a valid win 32 application

Postby mikejdavies » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:55 am

Neither March , April nor May Cover DVDs will run- My 3 desktops all have Liteon DVD drives. However, the DVD special 7 will run successfully!
I suggest that PCPro look to the quality of the DVDs?
I have already obtained fresh copies of the March and April DVDs and they will not run either.
I have never had a drive problem before, so the solution must be down to manufacture!
mikejdavies

Recent Shopper DVD's not loading

Postby oldergit » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:07 am

Still this problem is not resolved."Not a valid win32 application".All Dennis DVD's before October 2006 loaded perfectly.After October 2006 I get that message on all PCPRO and Shopper DVD's.Note prior to October no problems
Nothing on my PC has changed.Only Dennis DVD's.
oldergit

August cover disk

Postby janwightwick » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:24 am

I am having the same problem of the cover disk not running and getting the 'not a valid Win32 application' message.

I have upgraded my Lite-on DVD drive SHD-16P1S with firmware but it has made no difference. The disk works on my son's (older) laptop computer.

Is there any other solution apart from the rather complicated sounding one of doing a clean boot on the computer. Surely it is possible for Computer Buyer to make their disks work on all computers. I don't have any problems with any other kind of DVD or CD.
janwightwick

Postby Bravoman3 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:20 am

I don't even get the error message. Neither of my drives will even detect the pcpro discs.....Any help as i would like to install the Ashampoo Startup Tuner programme..

Cheers
Bravoman3

Problem reading disks

Postby dylanpugh » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:14 am

In the past I had great difficulty with the pc pro disks, so I decided to write a program that creates html pages with the same layout as the disk, I then placed these files with the programs onto a DVD-R and used that disk instead - works great -
If anyone is still having problems, simply reply to this post and I will send you a disk,(please let me know which month you are having problems with)
dylanpugh

"Not a valid WIN32 application" error message

Postby tonywilson1146 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:51 pm

As a PCPro reader for a number of years I have never had any problems loading or using the software on the disks (DVD or CD) provided, that is until 2 months ago. I too have a Liteon SHW 16H5S DVD RW drive, with the latest version of firmware I might add, which doesn't have a problem with any DVDs or CDs provided with other PC magazines. After messing about for a number of hours try to get the DVD to load I gave up, hoping maybe to see an article in the next months copy with some kind of explanation and a fix, which never happened !. I pay the extra amount for the DVD version to obtain the additional software which I usually find very useful. PC Pro/Dennis Publishing state in their disclaimer that "the disk has been tested in all stages of production", this is fine but if you cant even load it its pretty pointless. PC Pro /Dennis Publishing are taking a rather blase' attitude in not taking this seriously and should be providing replacement DVDs which do work. Expecting people to start changing boot parameters on their PC as suggested in the workaround solution provided below, particularly when it disables firewalls and virus protection, is just not on.
tonywilson1146

Postby Cecil_EPU » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:54 am

Hi.

We haven't changed anything to do with the manufacture of the magazine discs since we introduced the current interface. However, I have noticed that of the people on this thread that have provided the model of their optical drive, one has mentioned a Samsung, the rest have mentioned Liteon drives.

If it's possible, can anyone who has had trouble reading the magazine discs try their discs on as many other drives and PCs possible (other than Samsung & Liteon drives)? You might also want to try turning off or disabling any packet-writing software that you may have (such as Nero InCD, Roxio Drag-to-Disc, Sonic DLA, etc.) to discount the possibility that they could be interfering with Windows reading the disc correctly.

If the disc is not readable in multiple drives, then it's more likely that the disc is indeed physically damaged and therefore you should send an e-mail to coverdiscs@servicehelpline.co.uk (or the actual disc to the postal address listed on the Cover Disc pages within the magazine) to obtain a replacement.
Last edited by Cecil_EPU on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cecil_EPU

Next

Return to Cover Disc Forum