Skip to navigation

PCPro-Computing in the Real World Printed from www.pcpro.co.uk

Register to receive our regular email newsletter at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/registration.

The newsletter contains links to our latest PC news, product reviews, features and how-to guides, plus special offers and competitions.

Got a comment or problem regarding the cover disc?

Moderators: greemble, TimDanton, Josefov, graham_epu, Bluespider, Barry_Collins, StuartTurton, timark_uk, Luke_EPU, Cecil_EPU, Alan_EPU, PCPro Moderators

Please read this topic before posting

Postby Alan_EPU » Thu May 18, 2006 4:51 pm

Please refer to the disc pages in the magazine if your disc is broken or missing.

When posting details of a problem
This topic contains important information about using our discs. If you have a problem running the disc browser or registering software from the disc then please read the information below carefully before posting to a new topic.

Please include the magazine name, issue date and whether you're using the DVD or CD edition when posting details of your problem.

It is also helpful if you tell us whether you're using the CD or DVD edition.

Please use the cover disc browser
It's very important that you don't install software from our discs using Windows Explorer. Always run the cover disc browser. If you have disabled Windows' Autorun feature then you must run the application manually. The application is named after the magazine so should be easy to spot - it will be called shopper.exe, pcpro.exe or buyer.exe.

The disc browser provides extra information including system requirements, detailed installation instructions, serial numbers for full products and, of course, links to the correct installation programs.

You should use the interface as applications in the root of the disc (such as Adobe Reader) may be versions bundled with full products and are probably older versions - see the Adobe Reader topic for an example of this.

Known issues with the disc browser

If the disc browser freezes...
Some readers have reported that the disc browser loads but freezes when clicking on the list of sections (shown after accepting the disclaimer). We have been unable to track down the cause of this.There is no definite pattern in hardware or software. Some readers were running Windows XP on AMD K6 processors, but a few had much newer CPUs including Pentium IIIs.

We are working on a new disc browser that will not use Macromedia Director and so will bypass this issue altogether. Please bear with us and, in the meantime, refer to Temporary Workaround below.

If you are unable to use website links or receive an error that a file is too large for AOL to open...
Some readers have reported problems when using website links from our disc browser with both AOL and BT Yahoo! browsers. The disc browser has been tested, and readers should have no problems using it, with Internet Explorer and Firefox, or other 'vanilla' browsers such as Netscape. Please see below for how the AOL and BT Yahoo! browsers are affected and what you can do to workaround these issues.

BT Yahoo! browser

The BT Yahoo! browser is built on top of Internet Explorer, so it should have no problems. However, we have found that this browser takes an address requested by our application, such as http://www.pcpro.co.uk, and encloses it in double-quotes and prefixes it with the HTTP header, hence it requests:

Code: Select all
http://"http://www.pcpro.co.uk"

On the issue of BT Yahoo! closing immediately after it loads, this occurs regardless of the pop-up blocker being disabled.

A support request has been logged with BT Internet. Keep an eye on this topic, and check out Temporary Workaround below.

AOL browser

If your default browser is set to AOL, it will ask if you want to open website addresses received from the disc browser as text files. Again, this is being looked into but, for now, we suggest you check out Temporary Workaround below.

Temporary Workaround

We appreciate that you may have chosen your AOL or BT Yahoo! browser for features that your ISP has implemented. If you need to access online registration pages or other website links from our disc browser, we suggest that you temporarily change your default browser to Internet Explorer (or Firefox, if you have it installed), and set it back to your preferred browser after using our disc.

We are looking into both of these issues, pending feedback from BT Internet and AOL. Further information will be posted here as soon as possible.

Changing your default browser to Internet Explorer (Windows XP SP2)

To change your default browser on Windows XP SP2, click on the Start menu and select Control Panel. Select Add or Remove Programs, and then choose Set Program Access and Defaults on the left-hand side of the next window.

You should then see three entries on the right-hand side of the window: Microsoft Windows, Non-Microsoft and Custom. Click on Custom and, under Choose a default Web browser, choose Internet Explorer from the list of browsers. Finally, click OK to commit changes.

Changing your default browser to Internet Explorer (older versions of Windows)

Click on the Start menu and select Control Panel. Select Internet Options and, in the next window, click on the Programs tab. At the bottom of the tab should be an option labelled Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser. Make sure the box next to this is checked, then apply the change.

Changing your default browser back to AOL/BT Yahoo! browser

To reset your to your default browser, launch it from a shortcut (usually in the Start menu or on the Desktop). If you receive a prompt, you will be given the opportunity to change this browser to the default. If you don't receive this prompt, check in the application's settings for an option to check whether the browser is the default whenever it is launched.
Alan_EPU

Problems with Cover Discs

Postby chrisgay2 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:55 pm

I am unable to run either PC Pro or Computer Shopper cover DVDs. before I upgraded Win XP to SP1 & SP2, I'd get the initial screen for the DVD, but as soon as I clicked on CONTINUE, it would hang, and I'd have to kill it with the Task Manager, and it would state that Macromedia Projector was not responding. I could however read individual files for which I knew the file type if I browsed the DVD using Windows Explorer. Then I installed SP1 & SP2 which upgraded my Drivers, and now I just get a series of Macromedia Director errors of the form: Handler not defined; #get NetText; Script Error, and Object expected; Script error. I'm using a Samsung SM-308B CDRW/DVD Combo Drive running T.100 firmware. Samsung state they are not interested unless I can prove the media comes from their approved list of manufacturers. I only have trouble with cover DVDs from Dennis Publishing.
chrisgay2

Internet Explorer not accepting the request for registration

Postby pbsimon » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:08 am

Hi
Although I have read your forum on this, assuming not everyone is as computer literate as your average reader, I would be grateful if you would explain how I can open the registration link for the cover dvd copy of Quark 5. Mine opens automatically in Internet Explorer and unfortunately that doesn't work.
What can I do?
Thanks
Philip
pbsimon

Postby Alan_EPU » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:21 am

This topic includes the address of the registration page along with the location of the QuarkXPress files on our discs. Are you able to reach the registration page from the link provided there?
Alan_EPU

Internet Explorer

Postby pbsimon » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:25 am

No. Already tried that link and had the same result.
pbsimon

Postby Alan_EPU » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:49 pm

Apologies for this. There seems to be a problem at Quark's end specifically with the Computer Shopper registration page. The main site page appears.

Our disc editor is in contact with them to resolve this. We will post here with an update as soon as we hear from them.
Alan_EPU

aaarrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Postby frazer_clark » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:20 pm

and how comes checks arent made before the release date? RIGHT FIRST TIME is a good moto!!!! Doesn't make you want to subscribe to a magazine if they can't get things right - it doesn't take much to put a holding page on the quark website if that is where the problem is... and nothing here saying it is going to be fixed!!!

:evil:
frazer_clark

Postby bastard84 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:47 am

Alan_EPU wrote:Apologies for this. There seems to be a problem at Quark's end specifically with the Computer Shopper registration page. The main site page appears.

Our disc editor is in contact with them to resolve this. We will post here with an update as soon as we hear from them.

Who is to blame?

Well from our position its the magazine, the relationsjhip between you and the company who have failed to provide the service is irrelevant. We loose out because we trust you to do what it says on the cover.
bastard84

Re: Internet Explorer not accepting the request for registra

Postby bastard84 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:48 am

pbsimon wrote:Hi
Although I have read your forum on this, assuming not everyone is as computer literate as your average reader, I would be grateful if you would explain how I can open the registration link for the cover dvd copy of Quark 5. Mine opens automatically in Internet Explorer and unfortunately that doesn't work.
What can I do?
Thanks
Philip

at the moment PRAYER..sorry bit p***** off at being so gullable
bastard84

Postby Alan_EPU » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:39 am

Please bear with us a little longer. We contacted Quark on Friday to resolve this issue, but the registration site is hosted in the US. By the close of Friday, the issue was not resolved but we had to trust that staff in the US, based in Denver (7 hours behind us), would fix the issue quickly.

Apologies that this has not happened. We will be in touch again with Quark today to get this issue resolved.

From Computer Shopper's perspective, the registration page should still be up and running.
Alan_EPU

I have a problem installing QuarkXpress 5 from your disc

Postby Leonab » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:03 pm

Gosh this is proving frustrating. First I had the registration problem being an AOL user but got over that thanks to advice elsewhere in this forum but now I, an XP PC user, can't get installation to work via your disc's browser or by going into the disc via the 'explore' option.
The installer starts then I get this message: This installer package could not be opened.
What gives? How do I get around this?
Leonab

Postby Cecil_EPU » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:00 am

Hi

What application exhibits the problem? The temporary workaround for this is to manually run the installer by using Windows Explorer to find the relevant file.
Cecil_EPU

Problem with app from cover disc

Postby Leonab » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:38 pm

I am having a problem installing QuarkXPress5
re Gosh this is proving frustrating. First I had the registration problem being an AOL user but got over that thanks to advice elsewhere in this forum but now I, an XP PC user, can't get installation to work via your disc's browser or by going into the disc via the 'explore' option.
The installer starts then I get this message: This installer package could not be opened.
What gives? How do I get around this
Leonab

Postby Cecil_EPU » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:51 pm

The file that should be launched is setup.exe (which is located in the QuarkXPress 5.0 folder). If the message that appears is a Windows Installer message, you can try installing the latest version of Windows Installer by visiting the Microsoft download page, downloading the installer from there and seeing if this helps you.

You might also have to turn off your antivirus or internet security package before you try to install QuarkXPress (make sure you have disconnected or disabled the connection to the internet and to any networks you may be logged on to).
Cecil_EPU

Postby Leonab » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:29 pm

Thanl U Cecil I will give that a try.
Leonab

Return to Cover Disc Forum