Skip to navigation

PCPro-Computing in the Real World Printed from www.pcpro.co.uk

Register to receive our regular email newsletter at http://www.pcpro.co.uk/registration.

The newsletter contains links to our latest PC news, product reviews, features and how-to guides, plus special offers and competitions.

Need some help? Find it in here!

Moderators: greemble, TimDanton, Josefov, graham_epu, Bluespider, Barry_Collins, StuartTurton, timark_uk, PCPro Moderators

Can't reuse old disk in new PC

Postby andy_g » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:39 am

I've just bought a new PC (Chillblast Whisper). The boot drive is SSD and it's quick and quiet. I want to move the hard disks from the old PC across to the new PC. The new PC has an ASUS P8Z68-V/Pro-GEN3 MOBO with AHCI enabled. On the old PC I did a Windows Quick Format on one drive and put it in the new PC. The BIOS can see it but Windows hangs on the Starting Windows screen (the animation plays then just hangs). The drive is a Maxtor 6V250F0 about 6 years old. The drive was jumpered to 1.5Gb/s SATA and I removed the jumpers, either way makes no diff. Windows 'Repair PC' boot gets nowhere (the report looks like everything is OK). I've checked the new PC Reg entry HKLM/.../msahci; it was 3, changing to 0 made no difference. The drive works fine in the old PC. Any suggestions? Is the disk just too old for a new PC? I don't want to buy a new drive and find I still have the problem!
andy_g

Re: Can't reuse old disk in new PC

Postby Lindburgh » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:36 am

Wold be interested to hear any comments re above( did not think of doing same)
Lindburgh

Postby curiousclive » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Maybe if you only plug in the drive after windows boots it will find the needed drivers for you.
OR
If you can boot into safe mode maybe you can reformat it in the new computer maybe the formatting is more up to date than the old one so there is conflict.
Its the only thing I can think of apart from using a bootable partition manager such as partition magic to repartition and format the drive.
May need to somehow check that drive is not set as 'Active'. could check this in your old computer using windows manager. Only one drive can be set as active in a system as far as I know (may be wrong though).
All my mistakes are my own work and covered by patents.
Except those by the spell checker and that has its own patients :D
curiousclive

Postby andy_g » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Many thanks for your comments.
curiousclive wrote:Maybe if you only plug in the drive after windows boots it will find the needed drivers for you.

I'm reluctant to fiddle about with the hardware while it's running lest I blow the whole thing.
curiousclive wrote:If you can boot into safe mode maybe you can reformat it in the new computer maybe the formatting is more up to date than the old one so there is conflict.

Both PCs are on Win7 Home Premium so they should be the same but I'll try

curiousclive wrote:May need to somehow check that drive is not set as 'Active'. could check this in your old computer using windows manager. Only one drive can be set as active in a system as far as I know (may be wrong though).

Not sure what you mean here, but I'll investigate further
andy_g

Postby andy_g » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Further info.
BIOS gives boot sequence as DVD, SSD, hard disk,...
When it went into the recovery environment I carried on to the command prompt. I used chkdsk to see if it could find the disk (where are these commands documented?):
chkdsk D: was the 100MB partition
chkdsk E: was the SSD
chkdsk C: was the new (old!) hard disk
If the OS thinks the HDD is C: no wonder it falls over. But does it and how can I fix this?
andy_g

Postby curiousclive » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:52 pm

andy_g wrote:Further info.
BIOS gives boot sequence as DVD, SSD, hard disk,...
When it went into the recovery environment I carried on to the command prompt. I used chkdsk to see if it could find the disk (where are these commands documented?):
chkdsk D: was the 100MB partition
chkdsk E: was the SSD
chkdsk C: was the new (old!) hard disk
If the OS thinks the HDD is C: no wonder it falls over. But does it and how can I fix this?

could go into "Control panel> administrative tools>computer management>disk management.
Right click the old drive (C) and change the drive letter to something other than C (make sure it is the old HDD first though). You could also whilst there change the drive letter of the one with the boot OS on to C.
Also make sure the 100MB reserve partition which normally has the boot MBR on (with no drive letter normally) is set to active as the system will only use the active partition for boot.
All these options should be on the right click drop down menu.
curiousclive

Postby cats_five » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Until the PC will boot he can't go into Control Panel etc...

If the HDD can be put into another PC and c:\windows renamed to c:\windows.old that might do the trick.
cats_five

Postby Burn_IT » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Your old (not ssd) must not have an active or bootable partition. You may need to boot from something like Ultimate Boot CD (to make sure the disk isn't being used) and run the partition tools from there.
Dave

I cannot remember the last time I forgot something. ;)
Burn_IT

Postby PaulYounger » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:06 am

I had a similar problem with my last install. Windows - in my experience - doesn't seem to like starting up for the first time with a second drive attached. It is unclear to me if you started your install with 2 drives.

I loaded up windows on my C drive got everythig working OK, with no :!: in device manager etc etc, then I connected the power to my seocnd hard drive and as Burn_it says it ideally needs to be an empty non-bootable drive
PaulYounger

Postby Lindburgh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:52 pm

The suggestions which you are getting are very interesting
However, I am slightly puzzled as to why you want to use an old drive.

Today you can transfer very easily data if that is the case, and new drives are not all that expensive.

Forgive me but it appears you are just creating a load of problems for yourself just for the sake of it.
Lindburgh

Postby PaulYounger » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:21 pm

I can tell you why I wanted to use an old drive in my system - why waste a perfectly good drive?

The old drive was a 320gb Seagate drive that was about 20 months old and I had transferred onto it a load of files from My Documents on my old PC - you know, those files that you keep because one day you might need them! - well, in my case I just might because they were primarily video loops, sound bites and effects and stills, backgrounds etc etc for titles....as well as a wealth of other odds and ends.

Keeping those on an old drive saved using up the precious space on the new SSD drive which is only 125gb.

It makes sense especially when like me, you hate throwing things that work away!
PaulYounger

Postby greemble » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Now I'm lost - how has the drive got files & videos on it if you did a format?
Don't be afraid that your life may end -
Be more afraid that it may never begin...

Ever get the feeling you might be missing something?
greemble

Postby Lindburgh » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:43 pm

greemble wrote:Now I'm lost - how has the drive got files & videos on it if you did a format?

That has got me too Gremble
Lindburgh

Postby Jokazz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Can you access the disk via a caddy like an "Icy-box" - I use an old disk as an external backup device that way.
Jokazz

Postby curiousclive » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:10 pm

cats_five wrote:Until the PC will boot he can't go into Control Panel etc...

If the HDD can be put into another PC and c:\windows renamed to c:\windows.old that might do the trick.

Is it not possible to put the old HDD in a caddy or connect via USB? Then maybe he can access the disk through control panel and change the drive letter to something other than "C"
curiousclive

Next

Return to Help Forum