Which is the best Linux distro?
Posted on 16 Nov 2012 at 14:00
If you fancy trying something other than Windows, why not give Linux a whirl? We test drive eight popular distros, with the help of our readers
To the average mainstream Windows user, Linux can be an unusual and sometimes frightening prospect. So for this feature we've taken an unusual approach.
In keeping with the open source Linux philosophy, the reviews you'll find within are part-based on our first ever PC Pro wiki, to which numerous readers kindly contributed over a period of six weeks. The results combine our own testing and analysis with real-world community experience for an all-round view.
The aim of this feature is unusual, too, as we’re not looking to identify a winner. The whole point of Linux distros is that each is aimed at a particular type of user, so what’s perfect for one person may be anathema to another. Our goal is simply to help find the right distribution for you.
Don’t forget, too, that most distributions are available as live CD or USB images, so if more than one distro makes your shortlist, you can try as many as you like before committing to a full install.
Our thanks go to hosting provider Memset for the server space on which we installed our wiki.
I've tried Ubuntu several times, but I find it frustrating to use and keep going back to openSUSE.
By big_D on 16 Nov 2012
Two flavours of Ubuntu worth checking out
Personally, I like these two distros (detailed feature list and video walkthroughs found in the links below):
Linux Deepin 12.06 - I prefer this to Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Based on Ubuntu 12.04. The software centre is a step up from both - http://www.webupd8.org/2012/07/linux-deepin-1206-r
Elementary OS Luna 0.2 (Beta 1) - Has the potential to turn the heads of those mac hipsters. Clean UI, zippy and a pleasure to use. It is only at Beta stage, is based on Ubuntu 12.04 and the stable version will be released "only when ready" but what potential . . . . http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/elementary-os-luna-
By dyagetme1 on 19 Nov 2012
For more details about purchasing this feature and/or images for editorial usage, please contact Jasmine Samra on firstname.lastname@example.org
- iPhone 6 release date, rumours, specs and features: when will the iPhone 6 come out in the UK?
- Windows 8.2: release date, features and free cloud version
- Samsung Galaxy Alpha release date, specs and rumoured price in the UK
- Vodafone has worst reception but Ofcom tests questioned
- Boxed iPhone 6 photos leak online
- Still on IE8? You've got 18 months to upgrade
- iPhone 6 launch event tipped for 9 September
- Feature updates coming to Patch Tuesday
- What's new in OS X 10.10 Yosemite Developer Preview 5 and iOS 8 beta 5?
- Google I/O live stream and blog: how to watch 2014 Google I/O keynote speech live
- 20 years of PC Pro: our first A-List
- Wikipedia's "right to be forgotten" protest hits the wrong note
- 3D printing hits the high street for plastic selfies
- 20 years of PC Pro: What amazed us in our first issue
- How Google Glass ruined my lunch hour
- Smartphone battery packs: can a USB power pack beat the festival battery blues?
- Windows Easy Transfer – not so "easy" in Windows 8.1
- Formula 1: what a difference virtualisation makes
- Office of the future: comfy chairs and tablets everywhere
- I went to Glastonbury and the only thing that got high was my smartphone