Posted on January 21st, 2014 by Darien Graham-Smith

Free alternatives to LogMeIn (updated)

LMI-Gone

This post was updated on 28/1 with additional content.

I’ve been using the free LogMeIn remote access service for several years now. I’ve never felt the need to pay for the commercial service, as mostly what I use it for is connecting to my home PC while I’m at work – or vice versa – and copying whatever files I need into Dropbox.

Now it’s been announced that the free service is being discontinued on 28 January – next week, in other words, meaning us free users don’t get a sunset period so much as an abrupt flicking off of the lights. As of next Wednesday, the service starts at $49 a year for two computers. As LogMeIn points out, this gets you not only basic remote access, but also “premium features like remote printing, file transfer and cloud data access, plus desktop and mobile apps to improve your experience.”

I don’t need any of that, however: for what I need, I’d be fine with one of the numerous lightweight VNC variants, or Windows’ built-in Remote Desktop Connection tool… if only they’d work through the Dennis Publishing firewall. Since they don’t, I’m left looking for a properly free alternative to LogMeIn that I can switch to next week. Here’s what I’ve found.

1. TeamViewer

TeamViewer is marketed primarily as a business tool for virtual meetings and online presentations, but it also works as a remote access service. In use it feels at least as smooth as LogMeIn, with support for Windows, OS X and Linux, and includes built-in file transfer, chat and remote printing functions. The catch is that, unlike LogMeIn, TeamViewer doesn’t permit you to use its free service for commercial purposes. That means I can browse and organise my personal files from afar, but if I want to access a work document I’ve been writing at home (hey, it happens), I’m in breach – and a commercial licence costs a steep £439. Ouch.

TeamViewer

2. RemotePC

Like TeamViewer, RemotePC runs on Windows, Mac and mobile operating systems (there’s no Linux support). Again, it supports remote printing, and remote audio, and there’s no restriction on using the free service for work purposes. In this case, the catch is that a free account only lets you connect to a single computer: that may be good enough for some, but it means you can’t hop back and forth between work and home quite so freely as I’ve been doing with LogMeIn. The three-PC plan costs $4.95 a month, which works out to around £36 a year.

3. imPcRemote

You might quibble with the name, but you can’t argue with imPcRemote’s generous licensing terms. Personal or business use is free for up to five computers, with an optional subscription at £29 a year for unlimited use across Windows, OS X and Linux. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get it working: following the setup instructions resulted only in an unhelpful (and rather rude) “USER ERROR” message. Since imPcRemote is based on VNC, I suspect that points to a firewall problem: if anyone wants to dig more deeply, I’d love to hear your findings, but frankly that experience was enough to drive me away.

4. Ammyy Admin

Ammyy Admin is another package that looks a lot like VNC, so you can forget about sophistications such as screen scaling and remote audio. It’s also available only for Windows, so cross-platformers needn’t apply. Like TeamViewer, it’s free only for non-commercial use, and the licensing terms refer ominously to “possible access limits, if software is used beyond 15 hours per month”. If you choose to pay, though, it’s not too expensive, by the standards of these things: a lifetime two-PC licence without restrictions can be had for a flat fee of $120.

Ammy

5. CrossLoop

I get the feeling CrossLoop hasn’t been updated in a while: the documentation evidently dates from the XP era, and the installer’s digital signature is dated January 2012. This needn’t matter of course if the software does the job, but as with RemotePC the free licence only allows you to connect to one computer, and the built-in file-sharing tool won’t work in free sessions. PCs and Macs are supported (even though the documentation claims it’s Windows only): if you want to pay for a two-computer licence, it’s $19.50 per year, which includes Android support.

So where does this leave us?

It’s fair to say none of these is a perfect replacement for LogMeIn Free. Ethically, I can’t use the free TeamViewer or Ammyy Admin services owing to their non-commercial licences – the ability to work from home is a big part of what’s made LogMeIn Free so useful to me. But if I pick RemotePC or CrossLoop, I’ll only be able to connect in one direction – unless, of course, I install one server on my home PC and the other on my work system. That would actually work, but it’s hardly an elegant solution. Under the circumstances, it’s easy to see why LogMeIn has decided it’s in a strong enough position to start asking free users to cough up.

There are a few other possibilities. The excellent (albeit non-cross-platform) Windows Live Mesh is gone, but SkyDrive Fetch offers the fairly useful ability to grab files remotely from other SkyDrive-enabled PCs — although obviously it’s not a satisfactory replacement for a proper remote-access tool. Another possibility is to set up a VPN and run Windows’ Remote Desktop Connection through that. That’s fiddly, though, and you’ll probably have to pay for the VPN, but that needn’t break the bank: as it happens LogMeIn itself offers a system called Hamachi for £19 per year, which is cheaper than paying for remote access.

Update: Four more contenders

I knew I wasn’t alone in lamenting the abrupt closure of LogMeIn Free. In the seven days since I originally made this post, more than 100 of you have added your own comments, and shared many useful suggestions for alternatives that I hadn’t been aware of.

Several people suggested Chrome Remote Desktop, a simple platform-agnostic Chrome extension that looks highly convenient for those of us who are already tied into Google’s browser. Unfortunately, although it works over my home LAN, it can’t connect between my home and office, so it’s no use to me.

ChromeRD

Another lightweight option that several commenters have mentioned is AeroAdmin, a compact standalone tool that’s explicitly free for commercial use and has some nice features, including clipboard synchronisation between client and host. It’s Windows-only, however, and though the website breezes “don’t worry about firewalls and blocked ports”, it too failed to punch through the Dennis Publishing firewall: your mileage may vary.

One system that did work for me was BeAnywhere Personal Edition, a free commercial service with a fair few bells and whistles, including a shared clipboard and a web client – so if your computer can be reached via HTTP you can connect to it directly from a browser. The catch here is that free subscriptions are limited to a single session a day, so think carefully before you disconnect.

BeAnyehere

That leaves us with Remote Utilities, a feature-packed standalone tool with clipboard sharing, multi-monitor support, remote sound, camera control and more. It looks and feels like an Office 2013 app, and if all this sounds suspiciously like a commercial service, it’s because until last week it was indeed available only to paying subscribers. However, in response to the discontinuation of LogMeIn Free, publisher Usoris Systems has started handing out free licences allowing anyone to connect to up to 10 PCs for any purpose, including business.

RemoteUtilsRemote Utilities seems to work very well indeed: my only small misgivings relate to its lack of cross-platform support – there are viewer apps for Android and iOS, but only Windows PCs can be controlled – and the fact that frankly it feels like overkill for the simple tasks I do. I’m told that RealVNC is working on a hosted (and therefore, hopefully, firewall-friendly) service, intended to launch some time this year, so perhaps when that appears it will be a more suitable tool for my remote-access ambitions. For now though, there’s no denying that Remote Utilities ticks a lot of boxes.

Posted in: Software

137 Responses to “ Free alternatives to LogMeIn (updated) ”

1. Danny Yates Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 7:23 pm

At least you got notice! My email says the service will be discontinued on the 21st. I’m hoping it’s a mistake, or they changed their minds and gave everyone some grace after sending some initial emails!

2. Ryan Thomas Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I’ve been using RDC over Hamachi for years and never had to pay anything. Have they changed the licensing?

3. cloaked_wolf Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I’m facing the same issue. Quite a few people have recommended teamviewer but if they adjusted their license to cover work related stuff, it’d be awesome.

Quite sad that logmein want to railroad you into paying.

4. Tim Ballantine Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 7:37 pm

You forgot Splashtop.

5. Brian H. Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 7:51 pm

The $49 dollar price is only for the first year and only for current “loyal” free users who decide to upgrade. The actual price is $98 a year for new users and two PCs. .

6. Danny Yates Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 7:59 pm

So the email was lying and I did still have 7 days. So, LogMeIn session to my Mum’s laptop to install TeamViewer, and then TeamViewer session to uninstall LogMeIn. Bye bye, LogMeIn. (I’m reminded of “Internet Explorer: the world’s most popular browser for downloading a better browser.”

7. Melissa Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Even though we actually have until the 28th of January to stop using Logmein Free, I do think that it was a less-than-user-friendly or welcoming decision to give us only 7 days notice and to imply in an email that we only had today to figure out an alternative or pay for their premium service. I can’t imagine why anyone would have purchased Logmein Pro before today though since the premium features were rather lacking IMO.

8. Matt Cocker Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 9:05 pm

As LogMeIn has just LogMeOut I have gone over to trying TeamViewer and it looks to be better than LogMeIn free including free mobile apps and file transfer, as you say the free one is not an option for commercial use but for my occasional less than once a month need to remote onto a personal machine or support a friend or relative for me it is just the thing.

9. John Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Yeah, I pretty much used logmein free to connect to my home computer from work or if I was at a friends and wanted to check something back at home. I will be removing it myself shortly.

bye bye logmein

10. Mix Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I think the best way to say THANK YOU for their behaviour is to REMOVE THE PROGRAM and REMOVE THE ACCOUNT too.
    Just switch to one of the mentioned alternatives… and be ready doing the same within few months… ;-)

11. Marv Toyer Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 9:46 pm

As a result of this abrupt action, we are offering 50% off of our industry-leading service. Same features, from $1-$7 per month. Use offer code: LOGMEOFF at checkout.

12. Marv Toyer Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 9:46 pm

13. Leafs Nation Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Who cares? There’s like a million other options out there. Try Techinline or Teamviewer, for example

14. Phil Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 9:53 pm

UVNC is what I’ll be checking out…it’s free and cross platform.

15. Phil Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 10:01 pm

LogMeIn will be uninstalled forthwith!

16. Ryan Edwards Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Did you not try GoToMyPC?

17. Peter Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Try
    Wyse Pocketcloud by Dell

18. Shay Says:
    January 21st, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Thanks for the article – I received the ‘charging you’ email today – found this article – was able to add teamviewer on the one computer but when I tried to go to the second computer logmein kept flagging me to buy – so much for good will

19. eunmac Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 12:23 am

Try chrome remote desktop.

20. rhettmcnulty Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 12:32 am

Access all your files across all your computers for FREE with younity (http://www.getyounity.com). It won’t let you do system administration, but it lets you browse all files, across all your devices/computers at once (you don’t have to log in to one device at a time). You can stream files, download, privately share, email or open/edit in other apps.

21. Jack Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 1:18 am

Huge Marketing Disaster which will be taught to students – on WHAT NOT TO DO. They should have turned Free into “Amatuer” for $49/year with the same features as Free maybe upto 10 computers. The earning potential they have just let go is potentially MILLIONS

22. Qain Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 2:26 am

what about:

23. Chad Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 2:48 am

I also evaluated ImPCRemote today…and the issue you’re having with USER_ERROR I also got. You need to log in with your email address, not the account you created. It’s a little backwards…but it works.

24. Bill Kingman Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 3:39 am

Thank you for the suggestion of “RemotePC.net.” Largest (no intrusive logo)image of host I’ve found yet, for free, anyway. Easy install, no code numbers, etc. Their 3 computers rate wins.

25. pete Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 4:24 am

Disconnecting long time free users with 7 days notice is a big middle finger from LMI. I understand they need to make money and I would consider paying for it but this is really horrible customer relations. How idiotic!

26. pete Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 4:26 am

PS http://www.intelliadmin.com looks like a great alternative as well.

27. Russ Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 4:29 am

Google Remote is free I have a link with instructions on my Blog http://www.sbits.biz/what-is-a-good-replacement-for-logmein-free/

28. Josh Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 5:18 am

I am not happy with this, how is a small business owner going to afford that or a full time student who also works full time such as myself . I use logmein free for school so I can do my assignments remotely and with them taking that away I fear my grades will suffer.i think this move will impact logmein negatively. We already dropped the rescue version at work due to the price and when a customer of 10 years asks for their subscription not to raise every year and is denied there is an issue. I think logmein may be in a financial pickle or so it would seem.

Thx

Josh

29. David Artiss Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 7:26 am

I’d like to 2nd the recommendation of Chrome Remote Desktop – it’s what I use.

30. Big Papa Skins Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 7:44 am

Have a look at Join.me, it may help someone.

31. Marek Vokac Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 7:57 am

To be fair to LogMeIn, the free users were bringing server load but no income. A few will convert to Pro, most will go away, and LogMeIn will have slightly higher income and lower server loads.
    The loss of good will is harder to measure.
    What I think they should have done, is to offer a bare-bones product at a much lower price – say remote desktop ONLY for max 5 or 10 computers, at $10 – $20 a year. I would have bought that, and probably many others as well.

32. Bryan Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 8:01 am

Try this Free new remote access service and its a UK company.

33. Jas Thomas Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 8:30 am

Wow. 0 days notice. Way to go LogMeIn. I’d be happy to pay, but not after dealing me 0 days notice (even if it is now 7 days after logging in). I’m off to use another product. hope LogMeIn fail over this change.

34. Swo Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 8:57 am

Very slimy move with such short notice, I suppose they are trying to trick people into panicking and paying.
    It’s been OK free, but is so slow, it will be goodbye for me.
    If they had gone about it in a more professional way, I may have paid something.

35. MikeC Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 9:20 am

Another vote for Chrome Remote Desktop. (It’s a Chrome browser plugin). Only done some quick testing, but it seems to work fairly well.

And another vote for note trusting LogMeIn. Fair enough to start charging. Terrible way to communicate it. If that’s how they do business, I’ll be steering clear of Hamachi, Cubby, join.me and their other offerings as well from now on. They’ve just wrecked faith in their brand in one quick move.

36. Basco Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 9:36 am

All above NOT FREE.

Aeroadmin is FREE for home and business use. Check out http://www.aeroadmin.com

37. Thomas Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 9:41 am

Just tried Chrome…
    Looks like it’s sufficient for my needs. Bye LogMeIn.

38. Steve Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 9:51 am

Bad move LogMeIn. I have been using it for several years now and have thought about paying in the past but your prices are unreasonable for private use. I have 10 machines on my free subscription, all family and friends, nothing commercial. If you had left it as the basic LogMeIn and allowed 10 machines for around £25 a year I would have paid it. Under your current pricing it would cost me £289. So you get NOTHING … hmmmm £25 or Nothing? Let me think about that! …. bye bye LogMeIn.

39. Paul M Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 10:00 am

Skype also has desktop sharing.

Another possibility, if you’re reasonably expert at linux, is to get the person whose PC you want to control to install putty, and get them to connect to you and login with a reverse SSH tunnel, then you can connect to their VNC or RDP server.

40. Tom Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 10:02 am

That’s me switched to Chrome remote then.

41. tech3475 Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 10:18 am

Thanks for the list, I used this for many years now for myself and for family as it makes troubleshooting/helping allot easier.

Shame as I liked Logmein, but not to the point that I’d spend £139/year for it.

42. Alan Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 10:23 am

How about bitvise WINSSHD – free for non commercial use. Enables remote command line, SFTP and RDP.
    More here http://www.bitvise.com/winsshd. Even the commercial version is relatively modest to purchase.

43. Ali Shaded Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 11:08 am

I’m having the same dilemma. I immediately looked for ways to get remote desktop working so i could connect to a specific computer (mine) on my work network. Turns out, you can easily do this by editing the RDC port connection in the registry. Microsoft even has a page detailing how to do this and a “Fix it” utility I assume will automate the process. Once the port is specified on your work computer, I’m assuming remote desktop would connect to the work IP address and then the port specified. Not tried this yet but hopefully it’ll work!

44. MJ Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 11:18 am

I just got the email, and they are giving me 6 months free use of the Pro level. Did their policy change as a result of feedback?

Regardless, I am now using ScreenConnect, which is a one off cost. Not for everyone, but TeamViewer has a nice way of making you pay, then pay again, and again.

45. isofa Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 11:32 am

I received the same email yesterday, as I only use it a handful of times a year to support a couple of family members, I cannot justify the ludicrous Pro version., if there was a “light” version for a tenna, then I’d stick with it. I rarely, if ever, use it for business purposes, so I suspect TeamViewer will be ok for now. I can understand LogMeIn want to make an income, but they have got their pricing structure totally wrong, and letting me know on the day, free is dead = loss of many users. PC Pro needs to do a new comparative test.

46. Teresak Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 12:05 pm

People!! BeAnywhere has a Free Professional version, with more features than what you can bit or chew. Honestly, don’t even care about logmein. They did what they had to do, and now they’ll face consequences

47. Moz Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Yup, that’s right, BeAnywhere free version is for professional use, so that eliminates any ethical questions.

48. Andrew Jones Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 12:59 pm

As a wise Cetacean once said, “So long, and thanks for all the fish”

I was sick of the relentless marketing emails anyway :)

49. Matt Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 1:01 pm

When the sales people started getting to aggressive for our account, we move over to Centrastage. Cut our costs by a huge amount and they now even give out 500 remote control only seats for free.

50. Paul Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I’ve been a LogMeIn user for over 10 years… we would specify it for our customers, they would buy the contracts and we would use the service… I have to feel I’m responsible for £1,000+ annual revenue to LMI… I have my personal account I’ve used to support friends and family all this time. I think we specified LMI because we’d all got used to using in personally. Now I think I’ll be looking at teamviewer… I dont want to have two different solutions… so as a result of this LMI will actually be losing business. Just have a quick look at the beanywhere option, and it is fine if you are happy to be limited to 5 connections a day… but we know these connections drop… so what do you do when you hit the 5th whilst tin some tricky changes… too risky… Will also look at Google Remote Desktop as well as a result of this. Bye bye LMI

51. Bandit Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I am glad that I got over 7 years of free service from LogMeIn. In that time I’ve put 3 companies on LogMeIn Pro. I see no reason they should keep the free service when it has served them well to make a name for themselves. They are in it for a profit you know.

52. William Watson Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I used to used GoToMyPc (ie Citrix) – excellent but got fed up with the expense. I personally find LMI more cumbersome re how desktop looks. I’m trialling Chrome’s RD (pretty good) and Splashtop and X2.

I found the following wikipedia page very helpful – you can see quite quickly what the options are and which are free.

53. sanjay Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 1:34 pm

what about google chrome desktop?

54. Alex Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Pity us poor fools that paid £20 for Logmein Ignition on IOS and/or Android. £20 for an app that will only carry on working if we pay a subscription on top of the incredibly high initial purchase price.

55. Richard Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Wow it would seem there are a lot of whingers on PCPro. Look LMI was free, you used it, I used it. But LMI aren’t a charity or a govt body they need to make money. So they decided to start charging, nothing wrong with that. I don’t blame them. I’ll move over to Teamviewer because my needs aren’t great but I won’t be slagging off LogMeIn because they made a perfectly valid commercial decision. I bet most of the whingers are paying out a fortune every month so they can have the latest shiny iFruit smartphone while using LMI for free on their expensive Macbooks. Funny how they don’t complain about high cost of those!

56. Jason Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 2:32 pm

If your in business why not use a terminal server, it should work for these uses, and if it is allowed, remote desktop from the term server to your work machines

57. MikeC Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 2:50 pm

@Richard

Most of the comments I’ve read, here and on the LMI Facebook page and their blog, say “Fine to start charging, not fine to give zero days notice”. (And that’s what the email did give – zero days. As it turns out, the email failed to mention there’s a 7 day grace period. Not that that would have made much difference: when Google cease a free service (as they frequently do), they tend to give many months notice. True, they might be making some ad revenue out of it in that time. But the consensus seems to be that a month would have been fair notice. What we (LMI’s ex-users) don’t like is the tone of their customer service. Which is why I won’t be touching meet.me, Cubby or their paid for products. meet.me and Cubby both have free services. But I now have to assume those may be pulled at no notice.

58. bob Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Logmein are making a mistake. Disabling infrequent non-commercial users will lose them creditability. It would have been wiser to simply restrict logmein-free to onloy one or two PCs

59. MirandaM Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 3:23 pm

#53 you’re dead wrong, most people from what I’ve read use lmi for personal goals, like I do to support family living in another country. I’ve also seen various students using it to combine their parttime work with studies.
    LMI should have offered a $20-30 lite option instead of trying to lure us into paying an outrageous $239 for what used to be free.
    One thing is having a decent business strategy, another just shoving your product up your clients you-know-where. A classic example of how-no-to-do-business. If you own a car and pay $300 for a checkup and they tell you next week you have to agree to pay $30000 for the same checkup, you say the same thing “hey that’s ok, you have to make money too”?, I seriously doubt it. And that has got nothing to do with what kind of phone you buy, but everything with one simple rule: HONOURING YOUR CLIENTS.
    Hopefully lmi will loose much of their revenue, that’ll teach them. From me they won’t see a penny even after 8 years using lmi, I just switched to impcremote, better then lmi ever used to be.

60. Steve Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I’m exploring other options http://www.screenconnect.com/ since I’m pretty sure I can’t trust LMI at this point. I think when they put limits on number of computers last year it was fine. But at that time they promised to remain free, and 6 months later they pulled this. Time to jump ship!

61. Joe Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Got the message today.
    Immediately googled ‘replacement for logmein’ and this was the first link (after the sponsored gotomypc).
    very helpful article as well as comments from others.
    dont have the ethical issue mentioned in the article so my choice is set. teamviewer.

62. Jason Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I’ve been using LMI Free for years now to support family members and to help support field workstations for a company I contract with, but it was a pain to keep up with a bunch of different email addresses since you were only allowed 5 free computers per account. My office moved to Bomgar for remote support about two years ago and as I’ve had need to LMI into a PC, I’ve replaced the agent with a Bomgar Jump Client and haven’t looked back. There’s no per-agent fees and I can password-protect jump client access so that they remain private to me. Plus, I can support them from anywhere with Android/iOS support consoles and the agents auto-update to stay up-to-date and connected. It’s not free like LMI was, but it’s WELL worth the cost. This thing supports Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android device, logs a secure audit trail of all remote access activity, integrates with a ton of helpdesk systems, has access to RDP protocols and more. They have a free hosted trial as well – http://www.bomgar.com/trial.

63. SKye Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I’d stick to something more commercial and secure, myself, especially if used to access corporate machines (Logmein and other free software is great if my Grandma needs help, but if I’m going to access employee machines, or servers in the datacenter, HECK NO!). Bomgar IS the solution for me. Like someone else said, you can access Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, or Android systems, plus, Windows machines can be accessed even if they don’t already have a client installed!*(Certain prereq’s like network access, or another client on the network). And also like mentioned, you can get a free trial: http://www.bomgar.com/trial I HIGHLY recommend this if you are accessing any machine where you need better security, better logging, better control.

64. Josh Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 7:21 pm

OMG!!!! I am F***ing pissed. I just calculated it up and I need 35 users. I have run a small business on the side for years. I log into one of these 35 systems maybe once a month, but when they need me, i am always there. I am a very low user and i simply setup 4 separate accounts when they limited to 10. I have one travel agency in Seattle, 280 miles away that might call on me once a year. Then I have a bunch of people over the age of 60 that randomly will have a very quick question. Then i have an account for my real business where i can log into each system at work. I really don’t know what to do. This is so horrible and really going to screw up my life. Why did they just not put a monthly or daily limit instead of this. I Have thought about in the past to go Pro, but their prices are absolutely insane and i did not need any of the functions. The only cool feature was that it would save the passwords for each computer. DAMNIT!!!!!

65. John Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I would gladly have paid a reasonable amount for a suitable service/ level of use, if approached right.

Years of good will blown in a single moment.

Fsck LogMeIn. I’m gone.

66. John Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Oh — and they promised back in March that they were keeping LogMeIn Free, free.

Well, they did. For less than a year.

67. Geronimo Says:
    January 22nd, 2014 at 10:49 pm

I’ve just tried RemotePC because it is enough for what I need (access the computer at the office). I found one problem, the monitor at the office is bigger than the monitor at home and has a different shape and the adaptation of the view is not really good. From home the office computer desktop is viewed exactly with the same shape of the office monitor, so the letter are really small, it is difficult to read. There is a zoom but it just amplify so one has to use the scrollbars to move around the screen. LogMeIn is better in this regard, it fits the remote screen in the local screen.
    One thing that might be useful for someone reading this is that to connect to the office computer you can ask if there is a Windows VPN already created at the workplace. If that is the case you can use the Windows built in VPN client. It works fine. The only disadvantage of the VPN is that while the connection is established it is not possible to use the internet in the local computer.

68. Eliz Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 12:17 am

LMI’s announcement was dismaying. I’ve used it once or twice a year for several years to help the occasional relative or friend, or to get to my home PC when I need to look up a bill or something (yes, occasionally from work, but not ‘for’ work). For that use, it would make more sense for me to buy a plane ticket and visit my family than to waste money on an almost never used subscription.

That said, we do use LMIRescue at work and I highly recommend it – but that’s at corporate prices.

Thank you everyone for posting your recommendations for alternatives. I’m going to start looking them all up and find the right alternative. Great forum membership!

69. Josh Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 12:45 am

Yeah, I make maybe 2k in profits annually from my side business because it is a very small side business. Spending 500ish or more to cover the 30 client computers is so absolutely idiotic. I use it so rarely, some accounts i have never logged into, they are simply there for emergency. I have researched and so far i have not found a free option that would support my needs and definitely not a low cost option either. I think the lowest cost was 299 annually, which does not make sense because it would probably 30+ hours of work getting all of these computers setup so i could in the future help them out. What a joke! I know they believe they are bigger and do not need their user base, but i sure hope some people who have been paying go elsewhere. Logmein is there main application so i hope it goes down. This is not ok! I definitely could buy their pro through work for my needs, but I WILL NOT!

70. JHaber Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 2:08 am

Wow! I just got Google remote desktop set up to access my work computer from home! works like a charm and faster than logmein 1000 Thank you to those who recommended!

71. Ryan Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 3:29 am

I’m sorry, but I keep reading comments about LogMeIn dropping its free service akin to “killing my business.” Really? Seriously? Come on, people, if you’re providing professional-level support, you should probably be using a professional-level tool like Bomgar (that’s what my company uses). Upgrading to something that supports Windows, OSX, iOS, Android, and the major Linux distros is kind of a no-brainer if you’re working in IT.

72. Russell Fishman Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 3:59 am

May be a little OTT for some people, but check out Meraki (meraki.cisco.com). A little known feature is their Remote Desktop capability, plus you get some of the nicer bits of the LogMeIn Pro capabilities. It’s free for personal and non-commercial use, with the only downside that it uses VNC and many AV packages need to have exclusions added to allow VNC servers to run. (Disclaimer: I do work for Cisco but have nothing to do with Meraki – offering this as an impacted user like the rest of you!)

FWIW – tried TeamViewer but – even though it was only for personal use – I was unable to connect to my Home Server as it runs WHS 2011 and that counts as ‘commercial use’ according to TeamViewer. But if you’re not impacted by that (and use it for personal use), I personally found it to be the best other tool out there.

73. Bill Kingman Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 4:44 am

RemotePC.net works slickly for one computer free. However, it absorbs 100% of my CPU (not host’s CPU), rendering it a bit slow to respond. Otherwise, simple to use and large image.

74. Bill Kingman Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 4:54 am

And I agree with Russell #68: TeamViewer wins, albeit can be confusing in set-up with several codes, passwords, etc.

75. Xander Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 7:34 am

I have to agree with some of the comments here. We use LMI’s free connections has earned it alot of goodwill to the point that we’ve picked up PRO and Central at work since most of us have free accounts for personal use. While I don’t see our company moving away from LMI anytime soon, the lack of warning in regards with the removal of free accounts is not just a terrible move, but also a dick one.

It would of been better to have a cheaper “like free” version instead of getting pushed directly into PRO, but for now I’m going to disconnect LMI for personal use and go back to VNC.

I hope with this influx of users, TeamViewer could offer a better priced “personal plus” account since I wouldn’t mind bringing my personal business over to them.

76. Rob Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 7:41 am

We’re a support company but while large clients were happy to pay for lmi, those with under 5 pcs simply didn’t have the need for constant remote support and might only raise a call ad-hoc once every one or two months.
    I was one of the first to shout about it causing major headaches, but having now looked at the options left with, it’s not that bad.
    What LMI have actually done is shoot themselves in the foot with this. Yes, the free version has gone, our LMI central licence has increased over 500% as it’s now based on how many free machines you have, BUT, it also means that the companies that had both free and pro will simply downgrade everything other than servers or machines which still need the file transfer facility and pay £2-£3 a year for any machines they want the old “free” version (those sitting around in offices as hotdesks ,etc) and they’ll save money. In that effect it doesn’t cost me anything now, those who had some pro will also save money and the micro businesses will only be paying around £10-£20 a year for all their machines to carry on with a very good remote support tool, which even they will not mind paying.

Even the few home users we let have a secondary account off of our licences so they could work from home or connect to home can still carry on using logmein at £2-£3 a year to have access to their home PC, as multiple users are still allowed in Central.

Likewise Ignition has been replaced with a free desktop app, so everyone with access to machines can now install that and it makes it even easier to connect to mutiple machines.
    Again, we had numerous ignition licences, but they’ve also lost that revenue by replacing the product with a free version.
    Strange decisions which almost seem like a knee jerk reaction to scrap free but then leave effectively a light price version available to businesses.

77. Kevin Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Only Aeroadmin is FREE. All in the list above – are paid versions!

78. MirandaM Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 1:03 pm

No true, ImPcRemote is also free.

79. Joe McKamey Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 2:25 pm

This cracks me up…I agree LMI should have given a better time frame. But why do we get so angry at people not giving us free services? They have to stay in business too…you don’t go to the grocery store and expect free food. I live in the US and we are a spoiled society. Don’t get me wrong, I love living here and don’t think I would want to live anywhere else…but come on people, what these companies provide isn’t free to them, but we expect it to be free to us? I am all for using free services when they are offered but I am all for paying for good services as well. Perspective.

80. Steve C Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Been a user of LMI Free since just about the time they released. I use it at home on several PCs. When they dropped the count from unlimited accounts on free down to 10, I accepted that and understood, and did some clean up. Now, they’re giving 7 days to find another service. No way in hell I’m paying $100/year to connect to TWO computers when I have my primary rig, my development rig, my virtual machine server, and my source code repository machine AT MINIMUM.

I’ll sooner fall back to MSTSC than pay that. As a matter of fact, I think I’ll start implementing that right now and making sure it works while I have the 7 days.

81. +__+ Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 3:12 pm

There’s a bigger back story to this move. Bear in mind for example that Dell and other’s have stated intentions to move into Remote services and you get the general idea of what’s really going on here.

I’d also storngly point out that AMMYY was used heavily by the Scammers doing the Microsoft phonecalls, and it is of note that despite the complaints AMMYY still let their scamming accounts run, and thus be party to the criminal activty of the scammers.

It’s a sad world, we’re moving back to the Internet of 1991 not 2014.

82. Robert Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Too expensive for me to move to the Logmein Pro version. I will check Teamviewer, but someone also mentioned Nomachine, apparentely it’s free for professional use too. https://www.nomachine.com. Am taking a look right now.

83. Crystal Patterson Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Free is nice, but really. What great service is really free? Trials only rope you in and then make you pay. So why not just find a business solution that not only allows remote access, but also can access and Windows, MAC, iOS, or Android device, and still keeps a secure audit trail of all remote access activites. Check out Bomgar. They do offer a free trial, but I will tell you, You will be Hooked. It is the best option out there and integrates with most ITSM stems.

84. Bob Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Been using Logmein Free for years to support my family members and friends. Exactly what their policy for the free version offered.
    I have about 40 people that I help this way. No way I am going to pay their high prices to give free support to my family and friends. :-(
    Now if they offered an option to pay say $50/year to do the same thing as the Free version, I’d think about it. But, they’d have to take that 10 computer limit off that they put on several months ago.
    Oh well. I used to just pop onto the remote computers when they were not in use (LMI would show if the computer was in use before accessing it) and do updates or scans when they were in bed or at work. Now, I guess I’ll have to go to Teamviewer Quick Support and only do clean up when the person’s computer gets so bad they have to ask for help. Unfortunately, when they get that bad, they can’t get online. :-(
    I agree, they could have turned the Free version into a money maker, but instead, decided to send potential paying customers packing with their bloated pricing.

85. Bob Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 4:19 pm

By the way, I never got any emails. I heard about it from a friend. When I next logged onto LMI on one of my accounts, I saw the banner message on the top of the screen.
    Funny, the message said since I am such a loyal user, they are giving me a complimentary six-maonth Pro subscription. Guess this will give me time to move everyone off LMI and put the TeamViewer Quick Support link on their desktop.

86. Barry Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 5:50 pm

There is a very easy FREE solution to all this – AeroAdmin

87. Joshua Taylor Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 6:20 pm

You guys should really check out Bomgar. It allows you to access almost any OS, has access to RDP protocols and more. We love it here at the clinic! Check out the free trial on their website.

88. Geoff Turner Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I feel that in a professional engagement Bomgar is by far the best solution you can have. It has all of the basics (Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android device) and it has all the extended features such as (audit logs of all remote access activity, integration and API access as well as recording for RDP and RDP access built in! Our company swears by it and they even let you test drive it for free…

89. milliganp Says:
    January 23rd, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Thanks for all the adverts for Bomgar, which has a $2000 entry level price. For those of us who use LogMeIn to do remote support 2-3 times a year per remote PC, we need a product at the < £10 per connection price point, but not with a £500 entry price. Given that LogMeIn has several million free users, surely charging £10 each would be better than pissing them all off.

90. André Panné Says:
    January 24th, 2014 at 6:55 am

Too bad – whilst I do not see an issue paying for logmein if used in a professional context (you’re making money using it, after all), logmein seems to have forgotten the little social aspect of such tool: it helps families supporting the computers of the older generation. Neither my mother, my father, my mother in law would have ever made the step into the world of computers and internet, hadn’t I had logmein to support them with all the little questions and issues that arise, when you are an inexperienced user.
    Sad, logmein, that you haven’t considered this aspect. Very sad.

91. san Says:
    January 24th, 2014 at 7:56 am

Hi!

First, you ONLY have to buy Central to continue using the free clients!
    (most of the people here thinks they have to buy hundreds of Pro licences, cause they marketing this mainly, but you only has to have ONE PAYD PRODUCT!)

Second, Teamviever 9 now has all the functions of logmein free and much more!
    - you can install it as a client
    - you can restrict the clientside rights from your side
    - you can subscribe for an account
    - you can control your PCs from a browser
    - you can even switch the direction of remotecontrol (if you allow it)

And teamviewer seems polished now… It has one tabbed windows for all connection, while LogMeIn opening the anoying always-updating client software in a new window every time… I have to remember the order if I control 10 PCs, cause i can only see the LM icons in my tray…

They going backwards..

Did you see the “new” Windows nersion of Ignition? It’s like MSN Messenger from 1998! :)

Nice day to all!

92. Rob Lightbody Says:
    January 24th, 2014 at 10:14 am

Thanks for letting me know about this, they haven’t notified me.

I use logmeinfree to support my Mother and Sister’s computers when they’re having a problem. This might be only once a year, so I am unwilling to pay anything, and will just stop using Logmein.

They’ve lost out, because I’ll also stop recommending it to people, and in time will forget about it altogether.

93. Paul Pitkin Says:
    January 24th, 2014 at 11:50 am

If I had been given more notice I might have considered upgrading. But 7 days is ridiculous. I guess they thought that if they enforced such a short notice period that people would not have time to search for alternatives and just upgrade. Well they’re right – I don’t have time to search but luckily I don’t have to. I was introduced to Mikogo a while back. I’ve switched – done.

94. Ed Says:
    January 24th, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Is Bomgar short for Bombard with Garbage? Getting tired of suspiciously wonderful plugs for their product… and a snip at only $3000 (give or take) per licence! Just the ticket for occasionally accessing the family PC’s when problems arise.

95. Conrad Says:
    January 25th, 2014 at 12:37 am

For LogMeIn refugees: If you are looking for a free business license for 10 remote PCs, Remote Utilities may be an option. Check it out here http://www.remoteutilities.com

96. Ford Says:
    January 25th, 2014 at 12:40 am

I’ve been using the free version of LMI, I was considering paying for it and I certainly would have paid a few dollars per year to have 10 accounts. I only use LMI once or twice a month, so I can’t justify paying the huge prices it now asks. I move from them also on the ethics issue, as its unethical to suddenly pull a free service that people have used for years with only 7 days notice and an overthetop fee to keep using it.
    That is not how you treat people or customers. Well, its not how I treat mine. What does that say about us as a society when we must make a commercial decision over the well being and consideration of others. Do you think that is why there is so much hatred and violence and greed in this world!

97. brian Says:
    January 25th, 2014 at 1:14 am

Went and tested all remote software.
    Bottom line, ended up going with imPcRemote Manager.
    As many single computers as you like for $29.00
    Worked first time. Very happy.
    bye bye logmein

98. MirandaM Says:
    January 25th, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Thank you #95 Conrad, http://www.remoteutilities.com
    Seems just the option I was looking for, although I use it on a private basis, I will give this a good try!

99. Laura Says:
    January 25th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Thanks @Danny Yates – that’s exactly what I’ve done too – used logmein to install team viewer & then teamviewer to uninstall logmein. And Team Viewer is SO much better than logmein – smoother user control & much faster connection. Especially good controlling a mac with a pc – much better compatibility. Don’t know why I didn’t discover this before. Thanks all for the tips.

100. Dan Says:
    January 25th, 2014 at 5:11 pm

For those of you with a Raspberry Pi, I solved the problem of supporting family computers remotely by setting my Pi up as a Neorouter server. Neorouter is a bit like a roll your own Hamachi, and once established you can securely RDP/VNC/whatever to any computer joined to your Neorouter network.

It’s a doddle to set up, too.

101. Ryan Thomas Says:
    January 27th, 2014 at 4:06 pm

@Dan – thanks for the heads-ups re Neorouter. It’s the perfect replacement for the frankly-quite-flaky Hamachi.

102. Rob R Says:
    January 27th, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for the thread. I’ve switched to TeamViewer as I only require personal use. IMO it’s far better than LogMeIn, breeze to instal & setup & more feature rich, best of all it’s free. Switch now, you honestly can’t go wrong.

103. CJ Says:
    January 28th, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Log Me In worked so perfectly, however after trying all the other options none seemed to work… I am unable to install a program on my work PC so only browser based stuff works but the connection refuses a lot of these programs. Any other solutions?

104. Swo Says:
    January 29th, 2014 at 8:49 am

logmein has done me a favour.

Teamviewer is faster and nicer to use.

All the paid accounts I initiated for logmein will cease.

Of course, they have reduced the load on their servers, and leaving paid customers will reduce it even further.

I get the impression they are on a slippery slope downhill.

Good luck to them from the UK, looks like they need it.

105. Augusto Says:
    January 29th, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Like many others before I also abandoned LogMeIn. They chose to reduce the free version advantages over the years, limiting the positive aspects of their product. For example, it was once easy to switch on a remote PC, but it was now impossible with recent updates, just to mention one problem.
    I’m now using Ammyy Admin, it looks light and easy to use, and much faster than LMI. Moreover, the service can be started automatically so the software can also be used on a (previously switched on) unattended remote computer. I’m very satisfied with it after the first days of use

106. CJ Says:
    January 30th, 2014 at 7:42 am

Security at work is really stupid. Only LMI worked perfectly because the site wasn’t blocked, no installation is needed since it is browser based and it can connect through my proxy from work. All the other programs I tried failed at some point or the other (unable to install, security blocks access to their servers, connection cant get through the proxy etc). Are there really no other browser based remote access tools as good as LMI? I guess I really have no other option than to buy it now :-(

107. Tony Says:
    January 30th, 2014 at 9:27 am

Love beanywhere. But that image is so old! And i have 5 sessions in the free version. I don’t know why… try calling, their very helpful, even if you’re a free user (at least in my experience, you never know..)

108. Ryan Thomas Says:
    January 30th, 2014 at 5:03 pm

@CJ – TeamViewer has a portable version that does not need to be installed – it can be run off a USB stick. Would that work?

109. Adam Says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 4:48 pm

For the vpn gaming, there’s probably nothing better than Evolve (http://www.evolvehq.com). Unlimited connects. Free with premium options like static IPs and mumble server VoIP.

110. Zak Says:
    February 2nd, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Jumpdesktop is worth a look.
    Pay-for iOS apps but free Pc to Pc remote desktop

111. CJ Says:
    February 3rd, 2014 at 3:20 pm

@Ryan Thomas: I think the connection is blocked since I keep getting the message “Please check your connection”. I have put in my proxy settings from work but for some reason I can’t get connected. I think the server is blocked at work…

112. Spencer Rosengarten Says:
    February 3rd, 2014 at 6:01 pm

“To support our rapidly growing AVG CloudCare offering, AVG Technologies in 2012 acquired some of CrossLoop’s assets, including the service provided at the http://www.crossloop.com website. AVG has made the business decision to no longer provide the remote support and management tools available through the CrossLoop website.

Effective today, January 31, 2014, the CrossLoop website at http://www.crossloop.com and related products and services are no longer available (pursuant to the terms of use available at http://www.crossloop.com/termsofservice.html). This announcement applies to any and all versions of the product, including paid and free releases. It will no longer be possible to register for a user account, or purchase or access the CrossLoop website, services or products…”

113. IT Tech Says:
    February 4th, 2014 at 4:19 pm

LMI NOT FREE? SHAME!

114. Richard Moritz Says:
    February 5th, 2014 at 7:30 am

I was very annoyed, too! Found a great alternative in kwiksupport which is free and can be used for business purposes, too! Found it here: http://www.kwiksupport.me/en

115. Yurslow Says:
    February 5th, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Thanks Darien Graham-Smith for your feature write up. I switched from Logmein to Teamviewer which works quite well and has more features than Logmein. Your viewers has lots to say, which is all good, Thanks.

116. Roger Says:
    February 5th, 2014 at 10:22 pm

The Usoris Remote Utilites are awesome. Better screen quality than LMI, and two people can control the same PC at the same time. Tabs to switch between PCs. Love it so far.

117. Jon D Says:
    February 6th, 2014 at 7:40 pm

To be fair to LogMeIn the tight arses at Dennis Publishing should be giving you a works VPN connection, not expecting you to use a 3rd parties.

118. Andrew Says:
    February 7th, 2014 at 1:08 am

Mmm… interesting,

the headquarters of Usoris Systems is based in Russia.

2 Veshnih Vod Street Moscow, Moscow region 129338 Russian Federation

I’m not sure what Russia’s policies on data protection or information assurance are like. Anyone know if they’re any better than the US?

119. MirandaM Says:
    February 7th, 2014 at 10:10 am

@Roger, second that, it is owesome, much better than LMI, includes everything from LMI and teamviewer but most of all: filetransfer, remote installation, and… remote process control which means I can view the processes on the remote system and even kill them without going into the taskmanager!
    You can use it unattended with a small program just like LMI or access through an invitation code much like teamviewer.
    Have it installed on all my systems now.
    Thank you LMI for making such a stupid business move by kicking your customers to the competition!

120. Taufiq Habib Says:
    February 7th, 2014 at 4:26 pm

I tried Splashtop and its so much better than logmein. Faster response on the business edition. $60 per year but unlimited computers. iPhone app is so much better than logmein. Im tired of all the notices from logmein and now this .. no more LMI

121. Chris Says:
    February 8th, 2014 at 7:33 am

Splashtop is faster, cheaper and simply awesome… no reason for logmein…

122. Andrew Says:
    February 9th, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Mmm… interesting,

Splashtop’s website does not provide a UK technical support telephone number.

There only numbers for headquarters and offices in Silicon Valley, Taipei, Hangzhou and Tokyo.

123. Stanley Krute Says:
    February 11th, 2014 at 7:56 am

I’ve switched to Splashtop Business to serve my computer clients. $60/yr, works fine.

For my clients’ personal needs, I’m setting them all up with TeamViewer.

Problem solved. Thanks LMI for 10 years of goodness. Sorry about your mindmelt; hope things heal up.

124. Mike A. Says:
    February 12th, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Hi!
    Islonline is a great alternative to all LogMeIn products.
    Please check the following product webpage at https://www.islonline.com/l/logmein-alternative/index.htm

125. Scott Says:
    February 12th, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Chrome RDP worked very impressively. I installed on one computer and because every other machine I use is logged in through the browser to google account, they were all instantly available. I would have dropped logmein a long time ago if I had only have known.

126. Jerard Says:
    February 20th, 2014 at 3:50 pm

How about Nomachine? Has any one tried this? Sounds very good and had good tech reviews.

127. Wayne Boshier Says:
    March 10th, 2014 at 4:44 am

I tried to install AeroAdmin. It went smoothly on my Windows 7 notebook. Then I tried to install it on a virtualized (ESXi) Windows 2008 R2 clean-install server. No go. I can see the installer process running but the actual installer never pops up. The process just sits there until you kill it. Then I tried RemoteUtilities and it installed just fine on the server. I elected to use “Windows NT” security and was able to connect remotely via Internet and authenticate. Will play with this and see how it goes but looks ok. Not as fast connecting or using as TeamViewer on first reflection.

128. Wayne Says:
    March 10th, 2014 at 4:57 am

Update: RemoteUtilities Android Client will not connect to the same host. This is a dealbreaker for me…the search goes on for a decent free internet-remote app for a few computers…

129. Roger Grand Says:
    March 12th, 2014 at 5:20 am

Another very good option is RHUB remote support appliances. It`s ease of use and guaranteed attendance feature is what makes it worth using it.

130. Steven Weisberg Says:
    March 18th, 2014 at 5:40 am

Two items. 1. You missed SimpleHelp remote. It is a good, cross-platform alternative. Much less costly than TeamViewer if what you want is remote control and not the other stuff.

2. TeamViewer has the best resolution downgrade of any solution out there. Try remote controlling a 27″ iMac with a 13″ laptop screen. It’s always been a hassle, until TeamViewer. No one else is close. But that price tag. Sigh. Too bad they can’t seek a remote control only version.

131. Nick Says:
    April 12th, 2014 at 11:26 am

Very good free alternative – LiteManager, becouse it’s fast, easy and secure for remote control pc’s into Internet.

132. Geoff Says:
    May 20th, 2014 at 12:07 am

Nomachine works well on an internal LAN and is cross platform (except iOS at the moment). I run Ubuntu, OSX Apple and Win XP and it works well on all three.

133. Chad Says:
    May 27th, 2014 at 3:26 pm

i’ve been using Remote Utilities for a while, found it on download.com. I should say that i am impressed. Although the interface is not sleek at first glance, but the tool is very powerful inside.

134. Steve Says:
    June 5th, 2014 at 11:17 pm

I use Ammyy Admin in case if I need to help my friends. No need to install, just run from web-site and use right now.

135. Frank Merckx Says:
    July 13th, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Thanks for the overview.
    I’ve installed remote utilities … it’s free upto 10PC’s !!!!

Many thanks for the tip .. it works better than logmein …..

136. Bo Berglund Says:
    August 9th, 2014 at 7:06 am

I used LogMeIn as a support tool for my 91 year old mother and was ratyer disappointed when the message came in January about their decision to drop the function altogether.
    So for half a year I have not been able to help her (she lives 500 km away from me).
    But yesterday I searched again for a solution and found this blog with the final answer:
    Remote Utilities!
    Hooray! Installed it today while visiting her and it seems to work just fine. And no browser is involved either, which is good because of the numerous updates forced upon us when using browser plug-ins.

Thank you very much for putting together this article!

137. Bo Berglund Says:
    August 9th, 2014 at 7:10 am

Why is it so darn complicated to comment on this blog?
    I had to hook up VPN to my company site, then open a different browser (Chrome) and copy paste the URL from FireFox to this article and finally copy the text I had added in FFx into Chrome to be able to post.
    Otherwise there was always a message saying my location is a known source of spam and is blocked.
    My ISP is the by far biggest operator in Sweden (Telia) and I cannot imagine why you would block this provider!!!
    SHAME on you!