Posted on December 11th, 2012 by Barry Collins

Mobile repeaters and mobilesignal.co.uk: a warning

MobileSignal

Those living in mobile reception blackspots may well be tempted by one of the dozens of websites offering to sell you a signal repeater. These devices promise to improve your mobile reception by capturing weak signals through a high-gain aerial and boosting them through an amplifier. There’s only one problem: they’re often illegal.

Our Real World Computing wireless expert, Paul Ockenden, has warned readers off these questionable repeater devices in the past, and suggested legal ways to boost your mobile reception.  Telecoms regulator Ofcom has revised its advice on mobile repeaters since Paul wrote that column in 2010, but the core guidance remains the same: installing or using a repeater is a criminal offence unless it is CE marked and specifically authorised for use in the UK, because they can cause interference.

One site selling such repeaters is Mobilesignal.co.uk. The site came to our attention a couple of months ago because it was falsely carrying a PC Pro Excellence Awards 2011 logo at the top of its site. Mobilesignal.co.uk wasn’t even nominated for a PC Pro Award in 2011, let alone qualified to call itself a winner. As is usual in such cases, I emailed the site and asked them to remove the logo immediately, but as is also usual in such cases, the email was ignored.

So, for the avoidance of doubt: don’t buy mobile repeaters unless you’re absolutely sure they’re properly certified and licensed, and certainly don’t buy them from Mobilesignal.co.uk.

Update 13 December 2012: After I once again contacted Mobilesignal.co.uk and reminded the site owner of his promise to remove our logo yesterday (see comments below), I’m happy to report our Excellence Awards logo has been removed from the site.  I’m (ahem) sure all the other awards logos that remain on the site were (cough) legitimately won.

Tags: , ,

Posted in: Hardware

94 Responses to “ Mobile repeaters and mobilesignal.co.uk: a warning ”

1. aa111 Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 10:43 am

Just asked about the logo via chat on their website. Their response:

the webdsigner put it there then left the company
    we are going to take it down asap
    thanks for the link : )
    im going to contact the auther now

2. aa111 Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 10:47 am

And response regarding equipment being illegal:

Essentially, this boils down to the issue of licensing. Ofcom states that a licence is required to operate a product broadcasting in a mobile carrier’s radio spectrum. The reason for this is to avoid interference in the providers’ networks. However, as can be seen in Sec 1.2 in the link below, taken directly from the Ofcom website, our products are exempt from such licensing requirements, as they do not cause any such network interference.
    Indeed, many of our customers are referred to us directly from the network providers themselves, reflecting our trusted position within this industry for providing both high service and product quality.

3. Neal Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 10:48 am

Barry, try a live chat on their website. It’s, er, fun!

4. aa111 Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 10:53 am

Looks like they going to have a busy morning :)

5. Paul Ockenden Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 10:55 am

@aa111 – From Ofcom:

“We are aware of the claims of some companies that, in their opinion, use of their apparatus is unlikely to involve undue interference, that their apparatus is R&TTE compliant and even that it should somehow qualify for exemption from licensing. However … no such exemption has been made”

Pretty clear and to the point, I reckon!

P.

6. aa111 Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 11:04 am

@Paul Ockenden

Thanks. But why Ofcom don’t simply shut them down? They sell illegal stuff and operate in the UK – shouldn’t be very complicated. It’s not like shutting down dodgy website based in Russia or China…

Or is one of those cases when selling is permitted, but using us illegal?

7. Ben Bevan Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 11:14 am

Site now returns a 404, what a shame.

8. Paul Ockenden Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 11:17 am

Working fine from here.

9. Mike Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

From the homepage:

Please note: We have received several complaints about other mobile signal booster / mobile repeater companies claiming to be owned by us and selling cheap, defective devices, offering no customer support and not honoring their money back guarantee. They falsely claim to sell CE cerified products and claim to share our awards. Please be aware we have no connection to these other companies.

‘Falsly claim to share our awards’! brilliant

10. Mike Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

“Laurence Douglas
    We bought the site around six months ago from a company called Antennasonline.co.uk who had the awards on the site, we had no idea that the awards didn’t stand and we are now trying to get them removed ASAP.
    We don’t currently have a designer that can make the change so we are freelancing someone in for the job.
    Its all turned into a bit of a nightmare for us if I’m honest. : /”

11. laurence Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

The site was purchased around six months ago from a company called Antennasonline.co.uk who had the awards on their site when we took over the site, we had no idea that the awards didn’t stand and we are now trying to get them removed ASAP.

Unfortunately we don’t currently have a full time designer that can make the change so we are freelancing someone in for the job this week.

We are upfront with all our customers and maintain a high level of customer service.

Our solutions are installed in hospitals, schools and many other areas that require signal.

We apologise to both PC Pro and any customers that have been felt a negative effect from our mistake.

Have a merry christmas.

Mobilesignal.

12. Barry Collins Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Laurence,

I welcome your contrition, although as I stated in the blog, I emailed you two months ago to make you aware that you were falsely displaying a PC Pro Awards logo, so to say you weren’t aware is a little disingenuous.

Barry Collins
    Editor

13. laurence Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Hello Barry,

I’m very sorry we missed your email, we suffer a LOT of spam so if we get anything that looks spammy it will be removed. This might have been why? I’m not sure, but rest assured I’ll look into why it was missed.

Anyhow, I have emailed you this morning but have not had a reply as yet.

As mentioned we have a designer booked in tomorrow to take a look at removing the error.

Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for the unacceptable mistake on our behalf.

Laurence.

14. Paul Ockenden Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 12:43 pm

What about the error where in your FAQs you are claiming licence exemption yet (as quoted in my message above) Ofcom specifically states that no such exemption has been granted?

For the avoidance of doubt, the also say that marketing these devices is illegal. ” Ofcom has not made regulations exempting the use of any cellular repeater devices and so their unlicensed use remains illegal in the UK. Also, it is a criminal offence to place on the market or use non compliant R&TTE apparatus.” (From http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/radiocommunication-licences/mobile-wireless-broadband/cellular-wireless-broadband/policy-and-background/repeaters-boosters/).

I’d be interested to know your response to that, Laurence?

15. Rob Dobson Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 1:12 pm

If the products aren’t CE marked surely it’s illegal to sell them within the EU, regardless of whether or not they pose a risk to anything. No CE = no sale….

16. Barry Collins Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Laurence,

I’ve replied to both your emails – please don’t try and suggest we’re not responding to you. I’m happy to publish both your original email and my reply on here if you’re still “having email problems”? It’s significantly less contrite than the comment you posted above…

Barry Collins
    Editor

17. laurence Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Can you please email me now Barry so we can get this all cleaned up.

18. Iain Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Am watching this thread with great interest as I actually bought a repeater from mobilesignal.co.uk last week having been persuaded by their website, all their awards and bold claims of not selling cheap gear and offering a water-tight returns policy. I wrongly believed they were genuine awards and Laurence was extremely helpful when trying to make the sale, and reiterated what an honest and trustworthy company they are, relying on word of mouth and recommendation, etc, etc.

I tried over several days to get the repeater to work, failed miserably and so am now ‘trying’ to return it under their 30 day returns policy. And this is where the fun and games has started as I have been asking for a returns code (as stipulated by their T&Cs) for 2 days now and am just having my emails ignored. Prior to asking to return the goods my emails were always responded to within minutes.

I now have that sinking feeling (especially since reading this thread).

I will keep you posted…

19. 10forcash Says:
    December 12th, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I bought a repeater from http://www.mobilerepeater.co.uk earlier this year, at the time, the website made great play of being CE marked… the equipment also had ‘CE’ stickers on it – and continues to work well, however, their website no longer boasts of CE approval

20. MarkC Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 7:47 am

Laurence

Had a look at your site. Looks like you just need to edit one JPG image file to remove the PC Pro Awards logo!

21. happyskeptic Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 9:01 am

@PCProc, this is good work, keep following it up if you can.

One thing though it’d look 10 times better if you put your conversation with the representative from mobilesignal at the end of the article, and not in the comments where it’s mixed in with users’ comments.

22. John Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I know its not quite the same, but for “signal boosting” I use UMA via Orange/Blackberry as recommended on these pages. It works great or rather did until it mysteriously stopped working last week. WiFi still works on the Blackberry, but UMA has gone AWOL. A colleague has had exactly the same problem in his location too.

23. stuck in the middle Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 2:20 pm

As with many things OFCOM and COMREG sit in the middle and hammer the little guys.

I know far too manby people who are in phone and broadband not spots, and neither government nor regulator has ever sorted out such people.

Either force the Companies to give reception to all their customers, or formalise a workable solution of charge free roaming in NOT SPOTS, or make the comapnies offer something like the Vodafone Suresignal where appropriate, and a legal repeater where all else fails.

Any premises or residence with NO phone and broadband option should be given a means of connecting by rights enshrined in law.

endless rolling out of newer faster services to the crowded well connected city honeypots could easily subsidise the costs if the government acts.

24. Karl Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 4:36 pm

To be honest I dont care if I’m not supposed to have one because if I didn’t have phone signal I’d miss out of jobs for my businesses.

I ordered a booster from mobilesignal a few months ago after speaking to one of their agents on the site and I must say I’m delighted with it.
    I even recommend them to my Dad and he is also really pleased.

If we had more phone masts this wouldn’t be an issue anyway.

25. Alan Colchester Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I heartily agree with “stuck in the middle” (December 13th, 2012 at 2:20 pm). We have awful mobile reception. We live in the country but not in a remote spot: we are within 7 mins of the Channel Tunnel! It would be very helpful for many of us in this situation to have more support in getting the NOTSPOT service improved, whether via the providers or by a booster from a reputable company.

26. Paul Ockenden Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

But there ARE legal solutions available. Vodafone’s Sure Signal for example (new version announced today) will work in areas where there’s not a peep of signal.

27. Karl Says:
    December 13th, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Besides, how many ‘testimonials’ do you think are genuine on websites?

So what they used your award to pimp up the site a bit, no need to go on a witch hunt.

28. Graham Gent Says:
    December 14th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

@ Paul Ockenden December 13th 5:46pm
    The Vodaphone Sure Signal is a joke. We have had one for a few months now (supplied by Vodaphone, so it’s legit!) and it’s rubbish. Most of the time it doesn’t work and seems to take about 12 hours to reset itself when chastised. Our broadband is rock solid 10Mb/s so no problem there. It ought to be simple enough to make hardware that works.

29. stuck in the middle Says:
    December 14th, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I have suresugnal genuine from Vodafone Ireland. I find it useful during the Daytime but it does require the tremendous reset time, which for us occurs around midnight to 1am and can take up to 2 hours.

We have 1Mb ADSL to run the backhaul for Suresignal and it copes just, unless I’m running some big download or windows updates, at which point the sound quality is awful and I just disconnect it and scrape by on the normal reception through one windows.

Despite it’s limititations I wouldnt be without it, and it only cost me €49. If they improve the service Great, but the issues I think are at the backend of Vodafone’s network, or its traffic prioritisation.

If you have no broadband to use as backhaul the only option is a signal booster, or if you are feeling more adventurous you can put up a car kit, with an aerial on your chimney, ideally a directional one, and blutooth from the car kit to your mobile within the house. its a faf but is does work.

30. wittgenfrog Says:
    December 14th, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I actually switched to Vodafone specifically to use Suresignal. Other operators also sell femtocells, but Vodafone is the only one which makes it easy.

This is cheap, reliable technology, and as usual the majority of us can’t access it because the Operators can’t be bothered.

31. Nick Palmer Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I think it’s worth noting that Ofcom is pretty explicit in its attitude to repeaters – we looked at this issue for sites with very poor reception and checked the Ofcom guidance at http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/jammers/ (I know it says jammmers, but it covers repeaters as well). “Repeater devices transmit or re-transmit in the cellular frequency bands. Only the mobile network operators are licensed to use equipment that transmits in these bands. Installation or use of repeater devices by anyone without a licence is a criminal offence under Section 8 of the WT Act 2006. Any person found guilty of installing or using such devices without a licence would be liable on conviction to a fine of up to £5000 and/or up to 51 weeks’ imprisonment (Six months in Scotland and Northern Ireland) “.

32. Peter Cobrin Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 12:13 pm

The PC Pro logo is still there!!!!

33. stephen jamieson Says:
    January 12th, 2013 at 4:05 pm

have just found this page after i have bought and installed one of their devices, the booster does not make any difference to the signal, so have just e mailed them asking for an RMA code, will let you know how i proceed, wish i had seen this earlier.

34. Steve O'Brien Says:
    January 12th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Hi there. Very interested in purchasing a device from mobilesingle.co.uk. I’m living in Ireland and have emailed and used their chat function and as the 0800 number can’t be used from Ireland they have rang me to discuss. On the outset everything looks very genuine (the law aspect aside ;) ) but, they say they are based in the UK, but the caller used VoIP and was an American gent, the emails are also being answered from the US as the time I sent eg 8am gmt shows as 2am US time in the body of their email response. When you google street view their UK office it is a flat over a chemist! Their Paypal setup is dodge also as they must send you a PayPal request on after you place the order which can take them a number of hours to send on. So, from the different blogs etc they do send out the systems and they work in most cases but it is their returns process that I’m interested in to see how difficult it is to get them to agree on the return etc and I’m wondering how @lain got on with returning and overall dealing with mobilesingle.co.uk. Thanks.

35. Steve O'Brien Says:
    January 12th, 2013 at 4:36 pm

@Stephen J….I only caught this blog by accident as there are little to no reviews on Mobilesingle.co.uk. Im pondering them with a couple of weeks and slow to purchase and when their Facebook link doesn’t work just makes me more suspicious. As matter of interest what model did you purchase from them and how long was shipping etc?

36. Darren Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Purchased one of these devices before seeing this blog. A couple of weeks after delivery got an invoice from DHL for £30.90 in respect of VAT. Doesn’t mention that anywhere on the site.

37. Kevin Says:
    January 30th, 2013 at 9:29 pm

A late night impulse buy in frustration a my terrible mobile signal reception at home. I was conned !!! Doesn’t work, no support, no 30 day money back guarantee. I thought it was too good to be true and should have stuck with my gut feeling. I can now only leave it with my card company. The company address is a rented mail box address in London. Their mail box has ceased to function. Be warned as you have to hunt very hard to find true feedback on the Internet.

38. Kevin Says:
    January 31st, 2013 at 10:29 pm

To add insult to injury just recieved a bill from DHL for VAT.

This is a total con – don’t be a fool like me !!

39. Sharon Says:
    February 8th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Yep – Me too!

Repeater doesn’t work and a bill from DHL!

40. casajoya Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Glad I read these comments. I was armed with my card ready to purchase the related as our signal here in the mountains in Spain is terrible. Thank you for saving me some euros.

41. stephen jamieson Says:
    February 23rd, 2013 at 10:04 am

in response to question above and my original post, i purchased the gsm 1800, further info it didnt take long to arrive but i too have received a vat bill from dhl, i have contacted them and told them i am not paying and asked them to provide me with their customer details which they have refused to do, i did tell them they have a responsibility to act responsibly in these circumstances and i have informed them i have returned the item so there is no vat due, this they say i will still have to pay. i have also contacted inland revinue they are not really interested and just told me i have to pay and i should report to trading standards as what has happened seems very suspicious. despite contacting the company, eventually obtaining the returns code, (this took a lot of work) sending it back signed for i still havnt received any refund, avoid this company learn from all our mistakes. By the way their claim that you are not buying cheap chinese imports is a nonsence, guess where my VAT invoice shows the product coming from? yep thats right, China!

42. Greg McDougall Says:
    March 1st, 2013 at 9:27 am

Probably worth looking again at potential solution now that O2’s Boostbox is getting reasonable press. I also note ‘Tu Go’ may be nearing release, but I’ve been unable to source a reputable source for a date…

43. Paul B Says:
    March 4th, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Just managed to cancel my order by phone, luckily I hadn’t made any payment because their website is totally insecure, no HTTPS during credit card provision. The American voice on the other end claims they are all legal to use and even that telecoms companies are customers, but I’m not going to take the chance.

44. Johnson Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Website mobilesignal.co.uk and mobilerepeater.co.uk are the same company. Antennas Online is the same company the website was recreated by the same guys that own both. I must stress Mobile repeaters are 100% illegal there is NO Authorised/legal Repeater on the Market that can be used. If you have purchased a Mobile Repeater please stop using it we have detection units that will find these devices. In 2013 we are changing our policy to combat Mobile Repeaters in use and the sale of them. WE URGE EVERYBODY WHO HAS PURCHASED A MOBILE REPEATER FROM MOBILESIGNAL OR MOBILE REPEATER ASK YOU CREDIT CARD/DEBIT COMPANY TO CHARGE BACK. TO OBTAIN A FULL REFUND INFORM YOUR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD COMPANY THAT YOU WAS NOT INFORMED YOUR DEVICE IS ILLEGAL TO BE USE IN THE UK AND YOU WASN’T INFORMED OF THIS. Further confirmation please contact Ofcom direct at http://www.ofcom.org.uk and we will be happy to help.

45. Johnson Says:
    March 18th, 2013 at 10:45 pm

if you have purchased on of these devices from Mobilesignal.co.uk or mobilerepeater.co.uk call you credit/debit card company and tell them the device sold is illegal to use in the UK and you wasn’t informed of this. Please high light the fact sale of these are banned in the EU and you credit/debit card company will refund you immediatley.

46. Peter Mackey Says:
    March 26th, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I just called Orange and they are selling a signal booster device from Nextivity at £449, incl VAt and delivery. You can get the same thing from Amazon (for the same price). They told me that this unit is perfectly legal and carries the CE mark etc. Any comments?

47. Dave E Says:
    March 27th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE.
    I am currently in talks with Ofcom due to these units (fitted one at a school) Ofcom seizure due to interference on the mobile network – it has a CE number but is NOT Legal! FAKE
    I am helping Ofcom in their investigation……..

48. Greg McDougall Says:
    April 9th, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Very upset at this whole experience – I suspect this was the equivalent of hope over expectation. I’ve contacted Amex for a refund. To be clear – this is the shopfront linked to their registered address – http://dl.dropbox.com/u/378726/mobilerepeater.JPG – everything about the outfit screams ‘off’.

49. Mobile Repeater Says:
    April 19th, 2013 at 4:09 am

Hey Ken,

I love how you go ahead and are telling people to do chargebacks. It would be like someone in the US saying if you bought a radar detector call your credit card company and tell them you can not use it. Ken even you admit that they are perfectly legal to sell in your response. That is exactly how smart you are. Even your response is not spelled correctly.

Also not sure what you mean fake CE certificates. We spent over $10KUSD per license. We have every single one. Ken why not say for every person who has challenged you in court you have lost. I would come on message boards also if I felt like a loser in a position where I could do absolutely nothing and I was not even sure what I could do.

50. Greg McDougall Says:
    April 22nd, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Pretty definitive. http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/11/mobile-repeaters/

51. Kevin Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 8:09 am

I reported something on the mobilesignal.co.uk site this morning and the relevant party have reported the site mentioned for fraud.
    Barry, thank you for your article.

52. Stuart Harris Says:
    May 17th, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I foolishly ignored my gut instinct of fishiness and bought a triband booster for almost £480 yesterday via Paypal.

When their customer services wasn’t responsive, I Googled for mobile booster fraud and found this thread, thank goodness. Checked with OFCOM by phone and had it very clearly confirmed that mobile signal boosters are NOT legal in the UK. Raised a dispute through Paypal, emailed the company to say I wanted my money back. Both through PP and by email, they said it was legal kit, so I gave them chapter and verse through both channels. Money refunded. Phew!!

53. mark duthie Says:
    May 24th, 2013 at 9:43 pm

address given by http://www.mobilesignal.co.uk is 72 Great Titchfield Street, London W1W 7QW. if you google and street view this the shop has a blanked out window but if you keep viewing from different angles you can eventually see that its a “Mailbox” shop. so no real address at all. thanks for the warnings.

54. laurence Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 1:19 pm

We are the largest distributer for mobile phone signal boosters in the world and like any large company we have a small number of orders that don’t go as smoothly as we’d like.
    However as you well know people are far more inclined to complain then they are to complement a service.

99% of our customers are extremely happy with the service and signal we provide.

Our mission is simple, we want to ensure all our customers get the signal they expect from the network and a great service.

I’d also call into question how legitimate some of this feedback actually is, we’re in a very competitive market with many of our competitors doing all they can to discredit our company in order to generate more sales.

Anyhow, despite all these negative comments about our company we would ask customers to come along to the site for a chat or give us a call before they swallow any of this questionable feedback.

Regards,

Laurence
    mobilesignal.co.uk

55. Sam Says:
    May 30th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Lawrence, all such devices are illegal in the UK. You should know this.

Please can you provide further comment as to why you sell them to unsuspecting individuals in the UK?

If you consider them to be legal to use then please can you publish your CE certification, copies of the test certificates from a recognised body and copy of the Ofcom exemption documentation.

Many thanks, Sam.

56. Ofcom Says:
    May 31st, 2013 at 9:14 am

Ofcom is the communications regulator in the UK.

With reference to the post (54) by Laurence of mobilesignal.co.uk, 29/05/13 @ 1:19pm, we wish to confirm to readers who may still have doubts, that the unlicensed use of mobile phone signal boosters in the UK is illegal. For more information, please visit the advice page on Ofcom’s website at Repeaters / Boosters / Enhancers.

57. Ofcom Says:
    May 31st, 2013 at 9:17 am

There is also more information at: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/11/mobile-repeaters/.

58. Rob Says:
    May 31st, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I currently live in an area with terrible mobile phone signal across all networks. I purchased a signal repeater from here recently and it’s helped me out massively!

59. laurence Says:
    June 4th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

To read our response to this article please go here: http://www.mobilesignal.co.uk/pcpro/

60. Mattu64 Says:
    June 13th, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I purchased a repeater from mobilesignal.co.uk in December 2012,After countless emails + webchats where I was convinced these were totally legal to buy and use and that they were not inferiorfar eastern imports I decided to buy, Shock of shocks when the package arrives direct from Hong Kong with no documentation+ no CE markings, plus had to pay £25 extra customs charge on the doorstep, contacted the seller who claimed I would get this refunded, never happened. The unit does boost the signal however it is unusable, it seems to project an empty signal that tricks the phone into displaying full sets of bars but there is no “guts” to the signal and it is impossible to send/receive texts or make calls.

61. CommonMan Says:
    June 20th, 2013 at 5:30 am

@ Mobile Repeater (post 49):

The aggressive, highly unprofessional and bizzarely illogical content of your very personal attack on “Ken” tends to confirm the assertions by the original columnist and many of the responders that you are a business with extremely dubious standards and practices, and therefore not worth risking doing business with.

And, erm… Who exactky IS this “Ken” anyway? And by whom was he successfully challenged, and in which court(s)?

I searched the column and responses twice through, but I couldn’t find a “Ken” anywhere.

When you say (qoute) “I would come on message boards also if I felt like a loser in a position where I could do absolutely nothing and I was not even sure what I could do.”, you weren’t joking were you?… YOU JUST DID!

“THAT,” to quote you again, “is exactly how smart YOU are.”, Mr Mobile Repeater.

And thank you so very much for the compelling evidence of the validity of the accusations against you and your alter-ego Mobilesignal[dot]co[dot]uk.

62. CommonMan Says:
    June 20th, 2013 at 6:03 am

@ Ofcom:

So just what ARE we supposed to do, if we don’t have either usable mobile signal OR landline (and therefore no broadband on which to allow the mobile company to piggyback) either?

And when, as the supposed “watch-dog” of the telecomms industries, are you going to stop cosying-up to the Mobile Network Operators and actually force them to provide the network coverage they claim to provide, instead of threatening us poor customers and actively preventing us from trying to get the signal we need to actually use the services we are paying them for?

You wifully ignore the MNOs’ persistent and blatant over-promising and under-delivering of their services outside the honey-pot areas of urban conurbations and the main arterial routes which connect them, and you simultaneously are only too willing to bark and bite at us little guys to protect THEIR interests when WE try to compensate for their shortcomings.

You are just as ineffective and obstructive when it comes to making ISPs provide their services at the quality they claim when they’re selling them.

YOU work for US, so get out there and have a darned good snarl at THEM, or it might just be time for you to take that one-way jorney to the vet’s, and well get ourselves a new dog who can be loyal to its owners!

63. ESP Says:
    June 20th, 2013 at 9:58 am

So I know of a couple of people who have these devices installed and working successfully. That said, and on recommendation, purchased one of these unit from mobilerepeater outfit. the unit arrived promptly with an invoice for USD50 and not the £700+ paid for the goods. Subsequently we have decided not to install the unit following advice from OfCOM. no problems they offer a money back gaurantee.. hmmm

So you can call the sales guy Fabian Jones – very pleasant but he can’t help you – you have to call the support line and I’ve been assured they are in the same country. so despite several calls over the course of one day finally get a call form Harry Kaufmann?? from the support line. Had I been one site with this installation waiting for support call back this would be completely unacceptable. anyway Harry assures me someone will call back with an RMA. What a load of effin tosh. no-one has called back since the guy I did speak with who said he was in Florida.

Now i ask you – can you operate a business this way? – i think not. can you operate some scamming operation this way? – i think so. The shop front image posted in 48. says it all.

my advice fwiw AVOID THESE GUYS LIKE THE PLAGUE THEY ARE CLEARLY NOT RUNNING A BONA-FIDE BUSINESS BUT RATHER A SCAMMING ENTERPRISE. BE WARNED PEEPS

64. Mr Unhappy Says:
    July 2nd, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Great sales and scamming shop front. Had the repeater now for several months which was importED from somewhere in Asia. Doesn’t seem to do anything other than having lights on it that make it like it actually doing something. BESIDES THE FIRST MINUTE OF INITIAL IMPRESSION, EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS OPERATION SAYS SCAM

65. Craig Says:
    July 18th, 2013 at 4:44 am

Hi Barry.
    You may want to check out another website that has the PCPro logo on it.
    It looks amazingly like the webpage at the top:D
    It looks like we have the same ripoffs merchants downunder :D

66. Helm Says:
    July 24th, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I bought a repeater from Mobilerepeater.co.uk, after trying for six days I gave up. It was difficult to contact the engineer. When I asked for my refund and special code. This was the message I received..

This woman refuses to work with me any further after the first set of adjustments made little difference. She’s pretty stubborn and wants an RMA now. Refuses to spend any more time or money.

Harry

67. Helm Says:
    July 24th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I left a message on his answer machine , it must be the same Harry, his number is
    02081335024
    Good luck

68. Laurence Says:
    July 27th, 2013 at 5:06 pm

We are not a ’scam company’ we are totally legitimate and are happy to talk to any customer that requires assistance or reassurance.

69. Jonathan gillard Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 6:09 pm

sadly going through same process of trying to get a refund from mobilesignal scammers and my Visa debit company. be warned keep away

70. Gus Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 6:28 pm

http://www.mobileenhancer.co.uk/ also has a PC Pro recommended badge at the top and seems very similar in its offerings to mobilesignal.co.uk – what a pity I SO need a better signal at home

71. Helm Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 7:45 am

Fabian Jones who claims to be the manager has been trying to help. poor guy totally stressed out with ‘the other’ departments, who seem to not know what they are doing.they have an engineering department, returns department and sales department……..they claim, but for the RMA you have to go back to dear old Harry again the engineer. Be warned imobileenhancher is the same company, a great scam, I have contacted the office of fair trading and will be going to the small claims court to try and get my money back as I still have not received a RMA code or advise how to send it back.
    We can start a Facebook page …beware of mobile scammers

72. Jemma Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I wish I found this website earlier… If you are thinking about dealing with mobilesignal.co.uk- please PLEASE think twice! I bought a mobile repeater from them couple weeks ago & everything was fine when I had questions in regard what to choose etc. They’re very helpful & responsive. Everything has changed on the day when my parcel arrived. Content of the box was completely different to what was shown on their website. To make things even worse- manual guide was neither for device in the box nor for device on their website! It took me 2 days to contact their so called technical support & when I finally managed to get through to them & asked them how to install the whole thing engineer told me “I don’t know”. And now cherry on top- I’ve just received DHL invoice to pay! To sum up- if you’re after something that was supposed to be produced in EU but is sent from Hong Kong, hidden charges (invoice from the courier), company that has no idea how product they sell works, s…ty customer service (or rather no customer service at all)then mobilesignal.co.uk should be your first choice!

73. Helm Says:
    September 22nd, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Just had my refund, through the credit card dispute route after two month.
    Be aware, they have lots of departments, none of them know what the other one is doing ……..they claim.
    Support through dear old Harry is appalling, see previous messages. And Fabian, nice guy, but too stressed to cope with unhappy people. There must be many….
    Avoid these companies and go to the small claims court, office of Fair Trading or your credit card company to get your money back.
    Good luck
    Mobile repeater company is a waste of money.

74. Neil Says:
    December 11th, 2013 at 4:58 pm

MY GOD this company is a shambles. If you logon to their site you get a smiling sales guy on chat called Laurence. If you complain about them – which I have done, the next time you logon the chat window has disappeared so he is blocking your IP so that you can’t hassle him anymore. March I bought my repeater and it’s been faulty since August. Impossible to replace or return, they don’t get back to you – they just lie all the time. I’ve today contacted trading standards and I have instructed my credit card company to retrieve my funds. They are a sham, the London address is a clothes shop too..LOL

75. dsad Says:
    December 30th, 2013 at 11:15 am

Read more: Mobile repeaters and mobilesignal.co.uk: a warning | PC Pro blog http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/12/11/mobile-repeaters-and-mobilesignal-co-uk-a-warning/#ixzz2oxJohKqb

76. Mike Says:
    January 15th, 2014 at 4:59 pm

There seem to be so many misrepresentations here I’ve lost count – they claim the products are legal, they’re manufactured in their own factory not from china, they offer a money-back guarantee… given Ofcom say “it is a criminal offence to place on the market or use non compliant R&TTE apparatus.” then they’re breaking the law. So don’t bother with the Office of Fair Trading – call the police! Given all the domains are registerd to this guy: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kory-zelickson/24/807/987 who claims to be based in Milton Keynes, they may even get a successful prosecution.

77. Angus Says:
    February 3rd, 2014 at 3:33 pm

This company is a scam. I ordered a booster and aerial 10 days ago but nothing has been received. The website support says that the Order Despatch department is nothing to do with them, so can’t help. They don’t answer emails or phone calls – I wish I had seen this blog before ordering. I have contacted my credit card company to report the fraud and demand a refund.

78. Joe Says:
    February 3rd, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Suppose I have learnt my lesson the hard way, Don’t become a victim of their poor service like I have. Instead look at other mobile providers.

79. Carl Says:
    February 4th, 2014 at 9:20 am

We sell hundreds of kits a week to happy customers, the unfortunate thing for us is that the happy customers aren’t as vocal as the ones that we could have done better with.

We are not a ’sham company’ we’re proud to have provided thousands of customers with the mobile signal they needed.

80. Angus Says:
    February 12th, 2014 at 2:05 pm

The Directors of Mobilerepeater Ltd (owners of the website mobilesignal.co.uk, are Kory Zelickson, who is listed by WHOIS.COM as having an address at 2053 Biscayne Blvd Suite 353, Miami, Florida, 33180. The other Director is listed as Deimos Enterprises Inc of Suite 303, British Colonia Centre of Enterprise, PO Box N-7115, Nassau, Bahamas.

Mobilerepeater Ltd (Company No: 08069067 is shown on Companies House website as a DORMANT company, having filed NO ACCOUNTS. The Registered address of MobileRepeater Ltd is, surprise, surprise, 72 Great Titchfield Street, London, W1W 7QW.

I have reported this fraudulent business to the Police, Companies House and my Credit Card company. However, with the Director being in the USA and the other “director” in the Bahamas, I doubt they will be able to catch up with Kory Zelickson. DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THESE WEBSITES – YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

81. Steve Says:
    February 13th, 2014 at 7:52 pm

DARN IT … ordered one of these items after a LIVE chat, and havent been able to get it to work for 2 days .. now on day 3 of trying to get an RMA Code.

I will contact credit card company tomorrow and have them deal with the payment, and in the meantime, continue to fight for an RMA number.

82. Nadeem Says:
    February 24th, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Thanks for the warnings chaps, was about to order a unit!

83. Peter Says:
    February 25th, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Am having similar problems with “Mobile Enhancer”. The kit does not work and they are avoiding sending me an RMA so that I can return the items. But thanks to the advice above, Barclaycard are reimbursing me. Problem solved except that I still have a poor Vodaphone signal. Will have to change, albeit reluctantly, because I find Vodaphone’s customer services very good.

84. sarah Says:
    March 5th, 2014 at 1:02 pm

so what about ‘mobilesignalbooster’ and ‘cellphonebooster.co.uk’? I don’t believe they are the same business (have different phone nos)but anyone any experience of them?

85. Angus Says:
    March 13th, 2014 at 11:30 am

The Mobilerepeater website is now down. The MobileSignalBooster website is the same scam company – you will find their address listed on the website as (surprise,surprise) 72 Great Titchfield Street, London.

As for CellPhoneBooster – they appear to be in Stevenage so I cannot say if they are genuine or not – BUT be careful as this market is flooded with cheap Chinese imports that are ILLEGAL to use in the UK.

86. Steve Says:
    March 17th, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Finally received my RMA code … and refund now minus the carriage charge of course !…

Just glad I got the money back, and seems that if you write emails, and title them FIRST REQUEST, SECOND, then FINAL request you get a reply after FINAL !

87. laurence Says:
    April 7th, 2014 at 10:33 am

Please allow me to jump into this tread again and state that we are not a ’sham’ company… over the past several years we’ve sold thousands of kits to happy customers who couldn’t live without our boosters.

Any company that sells a high volume of goods will always suffer from a few that go wrong… just google any reviews on high street shops and you’ll find plenty of negative reviews… Customers that have a positive experience are unfortunately far less vocal.

On a daily basis we receive emails from customers who after installing our kits are delighted with the results. We’re always open to communication and will always do whatever we can to make sure anyone that shops with us has a positive experience.

If ever we fail to live up to expectations then we learn from our mistakes and improve the whole process.

Laurence.

88. Wayne Says:
    April 7th, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I ordered a repeater from here and they emailed me a PDF document stating that they are exempt from the regulations, however the legislation states that OFCOM should grant exemption if an item does not cause interference but this company did not show an exemption certificate. After reading here and doing some research I tried to cancel my order, they told me it was out for delivery today and that I would have to return it for a refund. I then informed them that I raised a case on Paypal and was going to do a chargeback on my credit card and would reject the delivery. They then refunded the money, when I asked them to confirm if the delivery driver was still due today they told me that they had cancelled the delivery, I work for DHL and know that you cannot cancel a delivery when it is on the delivery run.

89. Chris Says:
    April 7th, 2014 at 5:16 pm

There is something very fishy about this company, if you do a reverse look up on the website domain you will find that it hosts numerous Mobile Signal Boosting companies, whilst I know some companies have more than one website this company has many different ones all with different names and phone numbers operating within the same country – if your products are exempt from the legislation why not show us an exemption certificate and I’m sure your sales will rocket. I would definitely buy one if you had this from Ofcom.

90. Michele Mckinney Says:
    April 9th, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I have purchased many times from this company and am very confused with all the negative comments. I have never had anything less than a Stellar experience with this company and the customer service that I have received is outstanding. I have had a few issues but when I call and speak to their Technical Support Department, they walk me right through and fix the problem. One time, one of the kits I purchased was faulty and I had no problem returning it and a replacement unit was sent that very same day.

91. Lee Chappell Says:
    May 7th, 2014 at 10:41 am

I have purchased 3 products over the last few months, starting with a lower end product going all the way up to the higher end one. I had RMA’s for the two previous products and no refund as of yet. Whilst waiting I purchased the higher end model, they will not provide me an RMA and ignore all my emails. they now owe me around £2500. I am in the process of raising this with charge back credit card company.
    I will never deal with this company again.
    They put on a good front from the sales aspect. But the returns policy is a waste of time. especially when I don’t have the goods or my money.

92. Zac Says:
    May 8th, 2014 at 10:45 am

So this Laurence guy just blocked me on chat after i said that the companies ‘mobile repeater’ and ‘mobile signal’ where the same company, he insisted they were not! Well earlier in the conversation he provided me with a copy of his license saying that they were legal to use, i kept this and only later on did i realise that at the top of this license it says mobile repeater license!! Not mobile signal! Im not stupid Laurence and i luckily kept the link with the license http://cl.ly/1t1H0V3i0I1c Avoid this dodgy company with there president Kory Lewis or should we say Kory Zelickson

93. Jonathan Harris Says:
    July 9th, 2014 at 10:45 am

Ordered from Mobile Repeater (same ‘trading’ address as Mobile Signal) almost three months ago. Booster arrived and didn’t work with 4G. Technical support was beyond useless. Eventually they offered to replace with 3G booster. I returned the original item for exchange and a month later had received nothing. More excuses from Customer Service. I requested refund … nothing to date. Am now contacting my bank and requesting funds be charged bank as per legal advice. DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY.

94. Jonathan Harris Says:
    July 9th, 2014 at 5:05 pm

@mobilesignal1 on Twitter … let’s share our experiences … send a tweet @mobilesignal1