Posted on July 23rd, 2012 by Darien Graham-Smith

How to get Google Music on your UK Nexus 7

GoogleMusicIf, like me, you’ve recently acquired a Nexus 7 tablet, you may have been excited to spot a button at the bottom of the home screen labelled “Google Music”. Press it, though, and you’ll find it can only play music that’s stored locally. The full online Google Music service isn’t available outside of the USA, presumably due to licensing issues related to Google’s music download service.

That’s frustrating – because Google Music isn’t only an MP3 shop. It also includes a free cloud syncing service. This allows you to upload your entire existing music library (up to 20,000 songs) to Google’s servers, then stream songs and playlists to any Android device via the Google Music app. Since the Nexus 7 lacks the space to store a large music collection internally, it’s a very useful service to have.

And the good news is it’s very easy to get Google Music working on any compatible Android device from outside of the US. In fact, it’s so easy that you have to wonder whether Google is half-hoping this is what people will do, even if it can’t offer the service openly.

All you need to do is sign up for Google Music from a US-based IP address – something you can do from the comfort of your own home by simply using a proxy such as the free Tor system to tunnel your traffic through a US exit node.

Once you’ve signed up (using your regular Google ID), you’ll then be able to use Google Music on your Nexus 7 freely within the UK. You can also “buy” the free Google Music app from the US Google Play store, after which you’ll be able to install it on other Android devices via the My Apps section of the UK Google Play. Obviously we can’t guarantee that this trick will work always, and for everyone; but it works for us right now, and a quick Google search indicates that it’s working for plenty of other people too.

GMusic2

Using Tor to sign up

Before going on, we must be clear that the sign-up process for Google Music requires you to declare that “you will not attempt to circumvent any restrictions on access to or availability of the Music Services or Music Content.” If you choose to violate this agreement, in order to get access from the service from outside of the US, you do so of your own volition and at your own risk. PC Pro is not advising you to do this, or telling you it’s OK.

Clear on that? Good. Now, if you’re still interested in how it might be done, here’s how. Start by downloading the Tor Browser Bundle. Extract it to a convenient folder, then launch the “Start Tor Browser” application. This will connect you to Tor and open TorBrowser, a custom version of Firefox that’s preconfigured for proxying.

Next, check whether the external IP address you’ve been assigned by TorBrowser is actually located in the US. There are lots of websites that will tell you this, such as tracemyip.org. If you come up as in the wrong country, or if your location can’t be detected, go to the Vidalia Control Panel window which opens alongside the Tor browser, click Stop Tor, then Start Tor – to get a new address – and refresh TorBrowser. After a few goes you should end up with a US IP address. (If you have trouble getting one at first, try again later in the day, when more US computers will be connected to the network.)

TraceIP

You can now sign up for Google Music through the TorBrowser, and download the Android app, without hindrance.

Finally, you’ll also need to download the Google Music Manager to your PC – this is the little tool that handles syncing of your music with Google’s servers. If you have a large music collection it may take a day or two for everything to upload, but once it’s done you can enjoy your music on the go wherever you have wireless coverage – or, if you’re running Google Music over a phone or 3G-enabled tablet, wherever you have a signal. Just be careful of burning through your data allowance!

Tags: ,

Posted in: Hardware

31 Responses to “ How to get Google Music on your UK Nexus 7 ”

1. Ryan "The_Scrote" Thomas Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:47 am

I signed up for Google Music soon after it was announced by using Tunnel Bear (a proxy) and it worked fine. However, no matter what I do I cannot get the app: I have tried Tunnel Bear, Tor and a couple of other proxies and every time it says “not available in your country”, even though the web front end works perfectly and allows me to upload and stream music. I don’t know if this is due to my being on a Google Apps account

I have downloaded and installed the APK on my phone and it opens but shows none of my uploaded music, only a weird mix of stuff already on my phone and random artists (Michael Dorn – really?). So just to note, although it works brilliantly for Darien, YMMV!

2. Ryan "The_Scrote" Thomas Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:49 am

PS: The very fact that we still have geographical restrictions really gets on my wick! When will the ‘digital content’ companies grow up?

3. n1234 Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Is it only possible to activate this if you have a Nexus 7 then?

4. Sipart Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 1:47 pm

@n1234 You can do this on any android device.

Just search in Google for music.apk, xda has a thread will all versions up to newest (very latest won’t install for me but that is due to permissions- previous version works fine though).

Once installed, go into device settings – apps – manage apps and clear data on the Google play music app. You will then find it will connect to your Google music account – you can also set and force this in the app settings.

5. Wullail Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 5:12 pm

They’ve managed to block this proxy trick already…

I can get through to the sign in page..but then I get the ‘We’re sorry. The Google Play music player is currently only available in the United States.’ screen.

Guess the amount of attention this workaround got means they blocked it pretty fast.

6. Patryk Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Haah…. I just made it, and it works, so there must be something what you are doing wrong…

7. Ryan "The_Scrote" Thomas Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 8:00 pm

@Patryk Yeah, that must be it. How can it possibly be anything else? Sigh…

8. Gaz Says:
    July 24th, 2012 at 7:28 am

Once the Nexus 7 can be rooted, you’ll be able to access anything and everything from all parts of the world in regards to the play store including google music. When you manage to root it just google ‘market enabler’ (it’s not on the play store but you can download the apk fron the web)

This will let you fool play store into thinking you are in a different part of the world depending on what you choose using ‘market enabler’

9. Jon Says:
    July 24th, 2012 at 8:22 am

There’s a veery good root you tube walkthrough that works a treat on the XDA developers site. You could also just use a USB memory stick once rooted to save all the hassle of signing up etc to Google Music

10. Craig Says:
    July 25th, 2012 at 12:08 am

This is absolutely great, thanks so much! Particular thanks to Sipart for the ‘clear data’ tip, thanks!

11. Mike Says:
    July 25th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

@Sipart: Thank you! The clear data is the step i was missing. Works a treat now.

12. pamdo Says:
    July 29th, 2012 at 6:24 pm

do you have to use the Tor browser to upload music too? I got signed up OK and downloaded the app but it won’t upload my music. I used expatshield.

13. Paul McIntyre Says:
    August 14th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I tried all the above via orweb, got USA IP confirmed and then tried to download play music app – it said “this app is incompatible with your 3 Samsung GT 119100″
    So it seems to know my device is UK registered even if the IP is US? Any ideas to get around this?

14. Mike Dyer Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

My Google Music Manager cannot connect to the internet for the last few days, I haven’t changed anything can anyone offer advice ?

15. Tam T Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I can’t even work out which bundle to download, let alone how to do it. I’m not very IT minded as it is, but the video wasn’t even for a nexus7 and when I followed it anyway, what it downloaded wouldn’t open! I’m probably just being dumb.

16. Stephen Tonge Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Hi All.

I have tried everything to download tor to my Nexus 7 and you can’t.

You can download it to windows etc, not to Jelly Bean.

Help????????

17. Olddiverman Says:
    September 5th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Got as far as creating account in Google USA but system asks for mobile phone number to send verification text. it will not recognise a non-US phone number. I’ve tried pre-fixing with +44 and 001 but – no joy. Disappointed.

18. norfolkboor Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 7:49 am

same as Oldsilverman; google asks that you confirm your mobile number, and from that, it figures out that it’s a UK number. No amount of trying prefixes etc. works. Maybe they tightened up on this since the article was published.

19. Kam Says:
    September 21st, 2012 at 12:02 am

Downloaded Tor Browser, and on a US based proxy, however when it comes to agreeing to the terms and conditions it simply stays on the screen and never allows me to progress. Same happend with a new google account I created. Any ideas?

20. Motters Says:
    September 22nd, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Same problem as Kam. Can anyone help pse?

21. saldawop Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Download and install HotSpot Shield.
    This will change your IP to an American one so you can log in and download Music Manager…plus you can access the US Netflix using it as well :)

22. Gazza Says:
    October 5th, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Google has closed the loophole down. Basically the Android device is now locked to its original country of registration. Ho hum.

23. Mal Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 1:13 am

Works fine for me in the UK – use TunnelBear free VPN to access the music.google.com site and sign up to the service on your google account, then download the music manager for pc/mac. Let it do an initial check in your music library before you disconnect TunnelBear. Once done it will start uploading, quit TunnelBear, and let music manager software begin uploading. Try your google music app on Android – you may need to clear the app data for this app only in settings – apps. You should then see what’s uploaded so far. If not, try downloading the US version of the android app – search for the xda installer on xda-developers.com – working fine for me with 16k tracks. Almost as good as iTunes Match…

24. Gazza Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Not sure how some people are getting this to work and others aren’t.

Mal, you can’t get the Google Play Android app on the Android device unless, as you say, you use a rooted device to load the US version of the app.

Here’s what I did with no success. I even used a US mobile phone to receive the verification code and it didn’t work. So this isn’t the problem.

1) Logged in to an existing UK created Google account from a US ip. Agreed to the Google Music terms and conditions. Tried to insrall the Google Music app to the Android device but this was rejected – “Google Music is not available outside of the US”.

2) Created a new Google account from scratch using a US ip. Had a verification sms sent to my US mobile phone number. Seemed to work well until, again, I tried to download the app to the Android device which was detected as being in the UK so the download was again refused. I’m not happy that the Google account was automatically able to detect the device as a “Vodafone UK Galaxy S2″ (for starters it is a sim free device which has a Vodafone SIM!)

3) Agreement of the Google Music terms and conditions is no longer possible via Tor because Google seems to have incorporated some sort of checking routine in to the sign up applet. It isn’t just a quick “yes” I agree routine anymore. It has changed since the article was written.

4) You can sign up using vpn but then you will hit the problem that I hit in 2 above.

So the only way around it I can see is to load the Google Music app on to a rooted device.

25. Woofer Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 2:13 am

Gazza, you can download the google play apk from xda developers and use tunnel bear to log on google and create a google play account using a uk account. The device does not need to be rooted.

26. Imran Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 11:24 am

Gazza you don’t need a rooted device. You need to install the Google music apk file from the XDA forum. Just Google: Google Music apk and XDA will be the top result and you can download it directly from them. From then on in, its pretty simple, as your device(s) will sync with Google music.

27. The Spoon Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Yeah worked well for me in the UK, but I used Hotspot Shield instead of Tor because it kept locking at the terms & conditions screen.
    Hotspot shield works fine.

28. Darryl Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Those talking about using a VPN, Hotspot or other thing are missing the point.

Google are making a huge mistake here. I first checked on Google Music when I first bought my Nexus 7 on release day, I have bought numerous albums since then, multiply that across millions of people in the UK and you get the picture.

I’m not fond of iTunes or giving Apple even more money, but with the lack of adequate alternative what choice is there?

29. Oz Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

It’s officially coming in November to the UK…yay!

30. Livio Coccia Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:05 am

The service has arrived to the UK, but how do you ‘upload’ tracks from an Android phone straight to ‘My Music’ account, without using a PC?

31. Oliver Dungey Says:
    December 21st, 2012 at 10:28 am

It may have arrived in the UK but mine uploads nothing and in the log files I can see repeated errors with “using invalid account”.